• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nevada Shooters HAM Radio Net...…..Any Interest?

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
There have been several threads regarding starting up a Nevada Shooters HAM radio net, so I am posing the question here, How Many HAMS do we have in the Pahrump and Las Vegas Valleys for a start, and how many of those would be interested in having a weekly (to start) Net conducted on the High Potosi 2 meter repeater for starters (146.880 (-) PL100) , and possibly also holding a weekly HF net on either 60 or 80 meters (would require that you hold a General Class or Extra Class License) which could be held via using a NVIS antenna at your location to get the short range bounce over the hump from Pahrump to Las Vegas, and a DX antenna for the long haul so the members at the north end of NV can participate also.

Actually, with a good NVIS antenna, most of us state wide could probably work the entire state on 60 or 80 meters, I do it almost every night on both.

I am willing to be Net Control to get it started up, although after we have a few more participants, I would recommend that on the 2 meter net some of our members who are new HAMS take a turn at being net control, I can walk you through it, so as to build the skill and confidence at running a net. That skill can come in handy if you find yourself needing to run a net anywhere in an emergency, kind of like crawling under the barbed wire in basic with both live and blank rounds going off over your head, helps keep the jitters down the first time you have to do it in a real situation.

So, who's up for it, and what day of the week and time of the day works best for you on the 2 meter side, and the same for a HF net?

KE7KHE

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Sounds great!
I'm good with a 2 meter net almost any time.
Not sure I can participate in a HF net right now.
If you want to shoot me a script, I would be willing to help herd cats.....
KI4WMF

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter
I'm game, schedule permitting! I can do VHF / UHF, DMR or HF (...which may require a little work to put up a different antenna, but I'll try my low end fed first).

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
For the HF NVIS antenna folks, just put up a loop of 12 gauge wire, , and when you measre how long it is, feed it with RG6 75 ohm coax, cut to 1/4 the legth of the loop. Use a good tuner or auto tuner, put the loop up in horizontal square or rectangular shape, between 9 and 30 feet above the ground level and it should work well for both NVIS & DX work, mine does, as do those of several of my buddies.
For example, you can run that loop around the house under the eaves, or around the perimeter of the attic inside as close to the eaves as you can get it to make it as large as possible. You can even get by on some bands with a good tuner and a loop run around the perimeter of your radio room and pinned up at the ceiling.

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'm good to go with 2m right now... HF, maybe later.

Best time for me is after 6:30 pm, but I am retired so I am quite flexible. :) Quite!

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Here's a rough draft of a net script that could be used by net control to open, run and close the net.

QST, QST, QST, Attention all stations on this frequency, this is (Your Call Sign) Net Control Station for the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net.

This net meets every (whatever day we decide on) , here on 146. 880 MHz, Negative Offset, PL 100, known as the High Potosi Repeater, at (whatever Time we decide on) hours local time for the purposes of checking equipment, handling traffic, training, discussing firearms , the Second Amendment and the dissemination of information and bulletins for the public and Amateur Radio.

The Nevada Shooters Forum Group is comprised of licensed amateur radio operators who voluntarily register their qualifications and equipment for communications in and for the interest of public service when disaster strikes.

Potentially, every licensed Amateur Radio Operator is eligible for membership in the Nevada Shooters Forum Group. You do not have to be a member of the Nevada Shooters Forum Group to check into this net.

As a controlled net, you are asked to please stand by until you are called.

Anyone not participating in the net, please wait until all net activity is clear, however, any station with emergency or priority traffic may interrupt this activity at any time.

If there is any emergency or priority traffic, please come back now. (Wait, and if there is any emergency or priority traffic, deal with it, otherwise continue on).

Hearing none, (say this now and every 5 minutes during the net) This is (your Call Sign) , Net Control for the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net.

Any announcements at this time in the net must have been previously cleared by Net Control (Call on those members with pre-cleared announcements now). Any other announcements must wait until the Comments Section of this net. (Give your Call Sign again NOW).

Roll call follows, after which stations will be asked for any comments. If you need to leave the net early, please advise net control so we may get your comments before you leave. (HOLD ROLL CALL NOW)

AFTER ROLL CALL: Are there any late or missed members, members only at this time please.

Are there any visitors to the net?

If no visitors, go back to the stations who said they had comments for the net.

AFTER COMMENTS: “Last call for late or missed members or visitors, check ins or comments prior to closing.

Closing: Thank you all for checking into the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net this evening. We meet here every (whatever day we decide upon) , at (whatever time we pick) hours local time . Please join this net as often as you can.

There will be a follow on net on 28.333 MHz upper side band (this frequency is available to those with a Technician Class of License, but does require a HF radio and antenna) , followed by a further net on 3.968 MHz lower side band for those with the proper class of license. ( I just picked these frequencies as fillers, and because the 28.333 USB is available to Techs) . We could also try Channel 04 of the 60 Meter band, 5.373 MHz USB, it is generally pretty quiet at night. )

This net is now closed at (TIME) on (DATE) . Good evening to all and thank you for your participation in this net. The frequency is now returned to normal use. This is (your call sign) .

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Here's a rough draft of a net script that could be used by net control to open, run and close the net.

QST, QST, QST, Attention all stations on this frequency, this is (Your Call Sign) Net Control Station for the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net.

This net meets every (whatever day we decide on) , here on 146. 880 MHz, Negative Offset, PL 100, known as the High Potosi Repeater, at (whatever Time we decide on) hours local time for the purposes of checking equipment, handling traffic, training, discussing firearms , the Second Amendment and the dissemination of information and bulletins for the public and Amateur Radio.

The Nevada Shooters Forum Group is comprised of licensed amateur radio operators who voluntarily register their qualifications and equipment for communications in and for the interest of public service when disaster strikes.

Potentially, every licensed Amateur Radio Operator is eligible for membership in the Nevada Shooters Forum Group. You do not have to be a member of the Nevada Shooters Forum Group to check into this net.

As a controlled net, you are asked to please stand by until you are called.

Anyone not participating in the net, please wait until all net activity is clear, however, any station with emergency or priority traffic may interrupt this activity at any time.

If there is any emergency or priority traffic, please come back now. (Wait, and if there is any emergency or priority traffic, deal with it, otherwise continue on).

Hearing none, (say this now and every 5 minutes during the net) This is (your Call Sign) , Net Control for the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net.

Any announcements at this time in the net must have been previously cleared by Net Control (Call on those members with pre-cleared announcements now). Any other announcements must wait until the Comments Section of this net. (Give your Call Sign again NOW).

Roll call follows, after which stations will be asked for any comments. If you need to leave the net early, please advise net control so we may get your comments before you leave. (HOLD ROLL CALL NOW)

AFTER ROLL CALL: Are there any late or missed members, members only at this time please.

Are there any visitors to the net?

If no visitors, go back to the stations who said they had comments for the net.

AFTER COMMENTS: “Last call for late or missed members or visitors, check ins or comments prior to closing.

Closing: Thank you all for checking into the Nevada Shooters Forum Group Net this evening. We meet here every (whatever day we decide upon) , at (whatever time we pick) hours local time . Please join this net as often as you can.

There will be a follow on net on 28.333 MHz upper side band (this frequency is available to those with a Technician Class of License, but does require a HF radio and antenna) , followed by a further net on 3.968 MHz lower side band for those with the proper class of license. ( I just picked these frequencies as fillers, and because the 28.333 USB is available to Techs) . We could also try Channel 04 of the 60 Meter band, 5.373 MHz USB, it is generally pretty quiet at night. )

This net is now closed at (TIME) on (DATE) . Good evening to all and thank you for your participation in this net. The frequency is now returned to normal use. This is (your call sign) .

Great script! I like it.....brings back memories...

A couple of thoughts:

I take it the owner/owners of the High Potosi repeater and Nevada Shooters are all good with this?

Will the repeater be unlinked for the net?

Other than that, I say let's pick a date and go!

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I will have to check with the repeater owner(s) for 146.880, but in the past we used it for nets without issue, and no, it remains linked, so NVS members in other areas could join us.

As for whether or not the owner(s) of Nevada Shooters Forum have a problem with it, meh, who cares, they are only humans and will rue the day when they first put batteries in this A.I. program's Commodore 64 computer if they oppose us!

But just to lull them into a false sense of security, I will ask...............TitanNV, any issues with us holding a HAM net using the Nevada Shooters name? (Not like he'd ever know if we were doing it, he's been to "busy" (read: LAZY) to get his HAM license even though I have offered the materials, study aids, and assistance more than once!)

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Slightly off-topic but not...

Barring the unforeseen, I plan to attend the Las Vegas Shooting Center's Customer Appreciation Day, this Saturday. Should be there by 11:00. Will be wearing my black Yaesu ball cap. Hope to meet some of you hams there.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Did this ever get off the ground?

But just to lull them into a false sense of security, I will ask...............TitanNV, any issues with us holding a HAM net using the Nevada Shooters name? (Not like he'd ever know if we were doing it, he's been to "busy" (read: LAZY) to get his HAM license even though I have offered the materials, study aids, and assistance more than once!)
Hey I'm ready. Got the GMRS but might as well go full HAM mode too for some 50W VHF action in the Jeep! Ha Ha!

I'll message you.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Sent info you requested via e-mail.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You thank me now, but will you when you get the bill?
Gave you the friends and family discount, which means I only charged you five times as much as I would charge a total stranger!

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m willing to give this a try.

Dusty

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
How did I not see this before? ?‍♂️ I’m game, weekends are best for me, on 2 meter. I have a general license, but no HF equipment. Someday when I find the time I’ll get set up for HF.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have moved to a place where I can hit the Potosi repeater pretty good now.
How about Tuesday nights?
Steve, do you think it would be OK with repeater owners?
Thanks

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Should be OK, as long as we keep it informal and short, and of course allow any ham to join in.

Dusty

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
How's 7 PM with everyone?
7 PM on a Tuesday? All you old retired guys have fun! If I ever get back on a normal schedule I can join then. If I remember, but then again I never remember to join the local nets even when @NYECOGunsmith reminds me.