• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nevada Shooters HAM Radio Net...…..Any Interest?

Dusty

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Funny, or ironic that we come here to talk about having a net, then come back here to talk about how the net was.?
Glad you guys enjoyed it though.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Funny, or ironic that we come here to talk about having a net, then come back here to talk about how the net was.?
Glad you guys enjoyed it though.
Try Thursday night per previous post. Last night was more of a practice run

SundevilSG

Minute of Barn
Forum Supporter
I should be able to make Thursday. My kid has judo at that time on Tuesday.

edit: I was able to hit it from my mobile rig in far NLV, good radio check from a station in St. George. Nice repeater!

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
OK folks , we'll try to get a net going this Thursday 9 Dec 21 , starting at 1900 hours local Las Vegas time, on the high Potosi Repeater located at 146.880 (-) PL 100.

This repeater is part of the Intermountain Intertie network, which means it is linked to repeaters in NV, UT, ID, and other states, over 20 total.
What that means is, if you transmit on any of those linked repeaters, your signal is heard on ALL of them simultaneously.

I'd like to generate a list of Nevada Shooters members with ham licenses who want to check in, so I can hold a roll call of members first, then ask for visitors to the net.

So if you are interested, please send me a PM with your call sign and first name if you would. I will not be mentioning screen names on the net, just call sign and first name.

And remember when called upon in the net, or responding as a visitor, please enunciate your call sign slowly and clearly TWICE, the first time using the phonetic alphabet, the second time just speaking the letters, and lastly your first name.
Such as my call sign Kilo Echo Seven Kilo Hotel Echo , KE7KHE.
I have to keep track of the check ins, and my poor old arthritic paws don't write that fast anymore.

After we get all the members checked in, and any visitors, then we can go back in the order that folks checked in and ask if they have any questions or message traffic they want to pass.

Last edited:

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Pm sent.

Outlaw Kelly James

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
I have a quick question, for possibly not so quick of an answer. For someone like myself that knows nothing of HAM radio, but can see the value in learning about HAM radio. How much of an investment could one expect to pay in both time and money? Adequate knowledge base for practical application and sufficient amount of equipment to make it worth the efforts.

I have a quick question, for possibly not so quick of an answer. For someone like myself that knows nothing of HAM radio, but can see the value in learning about HAM radio. How much of an investment could one expect to pay in both time and money? Adequate knowledge base for practical application and sufficient amount of equipment to make it worth the efforts.
I’m gonna comment just to follow the responses.

I’ve seen a thread before that made it sound like the Baofengs (sp?) weren’t great, but then someone on here said they got on net the other day with a $25 radio. I put one in my Amazon cart - waiting to learn more before I click buy.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’ve seen a thread before that made it sound like the Baofengs (sp?) weren’t great, but then someone on here said they got on net the other day with a $25 radio. I put one in my Amazon cart - waiting to learn more before I click buy.
I'm not endorsing the Baofeng. I am just saying I was able to Rx the conversation here in Mesquite. A scanner would do the same. I can't speak for longevity, nor Tx on the Baofeng. If I was to get a HAM license I would use a Yeasu based on @NYECOGunsmith 's recommendation.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I'm not endorsing the Baofeng. I am just saying I was able to Rx the conversation here in Mesquite. A scanner would do the same. I can't speak for longevity, nor Tx on the Baofeng. If I was to get a HAM license I would use a Yeasu based on @NYECOGunsmith 's recommendation.
I'm able to hit the repeaters with my Yaesu handheld here in Pahrump, thanks to NYECO. Talked to gents in Montana and Wyoming.

Last edited:

garand_guy

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
$15-35 for the license test (forget if they changed it to $35 yet), $25 for a basic radio, and probably another $25-50 for a better antenna and maybe a programming cable. I'd also recommend an external mic for Baofengs because the one in the face sucks. If you want a better radio, figure $100-300.

As for time, there are plenty of free practice tests you can take online to prepare. Theory is also free, on YouTube and various websites, although for Tech it's pretty basic electronics and stuff you've probably already learned through osmosis.

It's worth the time and gives you more versatility than GMRS, which is at the same price point less the test.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
3 hours till the net and reminder to come back tonight with good answers to your questions......

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Currently it costs $15 to take the exam to get your technician (entry level) license, and in 2022 the FCC has jumped that fee up by $35, so it will cost you $50 to get the license, and $35 every 10 years to renew it.
A good (stay away from the Chinese radios, none of them have proven worthy in the long run!) 5 watt handheld by Yaesu will set you back between $80 and $500 depending on which one of the many they offer you select.
Figure another $50 for a top quality mag mount antenna so you can use it in the car, and that's the start of HAM.
For a 50 watt 2 meter mobile rig (which can use the same mag mount antenna the Hand Held does) you can get a good Yaesu 80 Watt rig for $180, on sale sometimes as low as $129, or a 50 watt rig for $130 or so.

Mobile rigs can be used at home in doors in several ways, easiest is with a power supply rated for 13.8 VDC at 10 amps or more.
In the house you can use the mag mount antenna from the car with the 50 or 80 watt mobile rig by sticking it on a big steel cookie sheet or a 2'x2' square of sheet steel from Home Depot, and putting it up on a book case or table top in the house. Or go with an inexpensive out door dual band antenna mounted on the roof or chimney.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I'll have to send Nyeco some AAA batteries apparently!
Just the one you have been promising me for the last decade or so will do! It is almost Christmas, if you really wanted to be nice to an old A.I. program, you could send the battery and maybe an extra 1K of RAM memory! Getting pretty crowded here with just 8K.....

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
That was neat, and congrats to that young man, Dads doing it right for sure.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The $ investment has already been well discussed, and the time investment also depends on what your mission is. Most people who only want to talk local, usually study a few hours a night the week before the Tech level test. Those who want to get their General, usually require double the time in prep and practice test taking. Some more, some less.......depending on aptitude, YMMV.

Tonight, I checked into the NV Shooters net from the CCSC, on a 15 year old 5 watt Yaesu FT60. Could a new Baofeng have done that 20/30 mile hop accross the valley and back up to the Northern states? Maybe so..maybe not.....but that little Yaesu is about as certain as it gets to get a good, clean signal out to where it needs to go. It wasn't cheap back in 2007, but my initial buying criteria was to buy a long term quality HT for many years of serivce..not to use once or twice and put in a closet. The Vegas valley is littered with great local repeaters and also multi state linked systems. Most people will never realize what world can be opened to them with a minimal amount of investment.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I couldn't attend. Was busy tending to my 2 year old granddaughter, 3 dogs and a brand new kitten! :rolleyes:

If anyone in Pahrump wants to trade places next time, give me a holler! :LOL: