• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Never trim .45 brass?

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Is this true? I dont dabble in these fancy auto loading cartridges....but I just got some .45acp dies.

For my .38spl loads I have always run my "unknown" brass through a trimmer. I figure if i knock it all back to at least the same length (or not cut them, as some are slightly short), it gets a consistent starting point for the roll crimp. Nothing will end up being over crimped. Also I use a lee quick trim and it chamfers/deburrs at the same time. After subsequent firings i at least check a random sampling of brass length to ensure none or only very few need trimmed. Typically dont have to trim them much after that.

This is what I figured I'd do on 45acp too, manily from a paranoia standpoint, but people are like "I never trimmed a .45acp in my life! I shoot em til the headstamp dissappears and the case splits, then I get new ones!"

Is this protocol for straight wall case mouth headspacing calibers? Don't even need an initial trim/consistency check? Clean, decap prime load and go, forever and ever and never check?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I don't trim my revolver stuff, either, but if I used them for bullseye matches or something, I would to get that perfectly consistent roll crimping, like you say.

And no, I'll never trim a 45 case, and I've got cases that have no doubt seen DOZENS of firings.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I don't trim my revolver stuff, either, but if I used them for bullseye matches or something, I would to get that perfectly consistent roll crimping, like you say.

And no, I'll never trim a 45 case, and I've got cases that have no doubt seen DOZENS of firings.
So, tumble and load the .45 even though I dunno what it is or where it came from?

On the revolver stuff I only ever do it the first time since so much of it is unknown and its all different headstamps etc.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Headstamp, headschtamp.

If they are visibly dirty, I might even clean them first, spent primers included!

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I knew a guy that would only load 38 brass with the double knurled ring. He didn't shoot any better than anyone else.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I knew a guy that would only load 38 brass with the double knurled ring. He didn't shoot any better than anyone else.
I dont sort it, I just trim it the first time so it all might as well have a "MARN" headstamp.

Only stuff I've sorted by headstamp is the .50AE.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Just run it until it jams the machine, yank it out and curse, and move on like the rest of us.
I dont have a fancy machine. I use a single stage and a hand primer. So, I guess I could just start loading smol pp's and they just wouldnt stick in the large pp holes. and I could sort them that way. Or I could drink a beer and sort.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
If you are using a single-stage, just look at it during the same motion that loads the shellholder in the priming tool.

I do put all the SP 45 in a bucket and eventually load it. When I was doing a lot of USPSA, I would purposely use that ammo at a lost-brass match.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you are using a single-stage, just look at it during the same motion that loads the shellholder in the priming tool.

I do put all the SP 45 in a bucket and eventually load it. When I was doing a lot of USPSA, I would purposely use that ammo at a lost-brass match.
But that motion is normally when I sip my beer.

gene(10)mm

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
I don't trim my .45 brass, I do mic them to make sure they don't fall below the minimum length. I run all my revolver brass thru a power trimmer. I have a couple of those with the rotating thingy. I like a uniform crimp.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
The only "special" thing I do is use a 4 die setup .... 3 die setup gave me feeding issues in better quality guns.

CCI primers, 6.0 of Bullseye, 200g flat nose lead