• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Official "1911" thread

NV1911NUT

Freelance Gynecologist
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Wow nice Cabot and both sets of grips are amazing as well.
Thanks! I probably could have bought a new gun for less, but how many can you shoot at one time? As an added bonus, if I have to start pimping girls downtown, I have a classy pimp gun or two...

Aswild

Ez come ez go
Thanks! I probably could have bought a new gun for less, but how many can you shoot at one time? As an added bonus, if I have to start pimping girls downtown, I have a classy pimp gun or two...
Yes I can’t agree more. Also u could not use 1911 nut either. Plus u can’t beat a Cabot. One day

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Never heard of Cabot before but that is a damn sexy pistol!

Not sure it's $4 grand sexy but congratulations on a nice piece. Elegant, simple, clean. I am ignoring the silly stars on the trigger, however.
There are lots of ‘ custom 1911 builders ‘ out there, very few are true from scratch, meaning they don’t buy off the shelf frames and start there. Cabot is a true from scratch. Looking at prices people pay for pimped out Gucci glocks, Cabots are fairly priced.

NV1911NUT

Freelance Gynecologist
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Yes I can’t agree more. Also u could not use 1911 nut either. Plus u can’t beat a Cabot. One day
While I was mostly joking about a pimp gun, if you are a shooter please save your money. I bought the Cabot new and it has never been fired, it sits in a box as an investment. It is a first run S100 (serial number CG0015), a line that was discontinued, so there are only about 150 of this model and another hundred or so of the second model, which makes it akin to owning a Singer 1911.

I got the grips from the guy that makes them for Cabot, but less than Cabot resells them for. Bonus, right? The rub being that standard size mag well cut grips do not fit it, they hang over, so even the Cabot flag grips I bought do not fit it... so I made the investment for the best grips that the company sells at this time to make them "as original" as I could while increasing it's value. I am not really a collector, so at some point I hope to sell it at a good profit or trade it for something I might use.

Sorry for the rant, but it isn't really worth $4k+ as a shooting gun. As you can see, I own a number of higher end 1911s and if I were to point someone in the "right" direction, I would say to look at a Dan Wesson or perhaps even a Les Baer 1911 vs. the hype over all the others. You don't hear much about them, but they are high performance shooters at fairly "reasonable" costs. I carry a Dan Wesson Guardian .45 which is like a $1300 gun that feels great in my hand and shoots a 1/2"-3/4" group consistently at 15 yards.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
If you haven’t shot it, how can you say it’s not worth it as a shooting gun? ;)

I really wish I hadn’t canceled my spot on Jason Burton’s list 10 years ago.

NV1911NUT

Freelance Gynecologist
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you haven’t shot it, how can you say it’s not worth it as a shooting gun? ;)

I really wish I hadn’t canceled my spot on Jason Burton’s list 10 years ago.
As a shooter, I consider any firearm that will shoot as reliably and accurately as any other weapon and can be purchased at a lower cost to be a better value, i.e. if I can get a .5" shot group with three .45" rounds at 15 yards, what are the chances I will get a better group for $3k more? The fit and finish on the lower cost gun, in this case my Dan Wesson, are very attractive, so as a shooter gun, I personally feel this was the better shooter value. Everyone is entitled to their own view... I would be happy to sell you the Cabot and you could tell me?

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
As a shooter, I consider any firearm that will shoot as reliably and accurately as any other weapon and can be purchased at a lower cost to be a better value, i.e. if I can get a .5" shot group with three .45" rounds at 15 yards, what are the chances I will get a better group for $3k more? The fit and finish on the lower cost gun, in this case my Dan Wesson, are very attractive, so as a shooter gun, I personally feel this was the better shooter value. Everyone is entitled to their own view... I would be happy to sell you the Cabot and you could tell me?
Tempting, but I prefer to put my money in NFA stuff right now, is tempting though, as it’s a beauty.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Are the Dan Wesson series 70 style or do they use a series 80 firing pin block setup? Those Dw are probably the best value right now.