• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

On board Air compressor

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m looking on Amazon for an air compressor to keep in the truck, there’s 2 that get pretty good reviews. Both are in the same price range at $100 and come with storage bag etc. the 2 brands I’m comparing are The Smittybuilt and the other is Viair.

Any reason to pick one over the other ?

Also looking at off-road tire repair kits, anyone ever use them ? Any opinion on what a good reliable piece of kit would be ?

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Ahhhh neat, That’s the exact one I’m looking at (y), actually those air both the exact units I was looking at !

Hmmmm if they’ve been reliable for you Janizary that‘s good info and Thank you for helping me spend my money...LOL.

My Son and I have been making quite a few trips into the wild, last one was to Nelson and we took his truck, no 4x4. The previous trip was out behind Sunrise mountain in my truck, 4x4 I couldn’t make it over a small hill with my street tires so I decided to sacrifice some mileage and go with the BFG’s For more capability.

Moved to PYORV.

With the compressor and repair kit we should be covered for most of the mild stuff. Thank you both for the input ;)

Last edited:

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’ve been using the Smittybilt 2.5cfm in the link above for about 8 years to fill tires. Solid little unit, runs like a champ. Most options at this price point use proprietary fittings, but when they eventually fail you can take the Smitty apart and use standard 1/4” connectors on it. I did and built a little quad-flator system to fill all 4 tires at once (or connect standard air hoses if I choose).

If it ever dies, I’ll buy again for sure. And I’ll probably upgrade to the 5.5 cfm monster one they make.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Hmmmm I had noted that for a little deeper investigation. I definitely want to have common fittings, no speciality stuff.

I was just about to pull the trigger, Thank you for mentioning that jfrey ! Triple likes for that !

09busaman

Member (9mm)
I have been eyeing the ARB, but mainly because they make a bracket that will fit under the hood of our tacoma. In the meantime I have a little pancake compressor I got at harbor freight that I carry around.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Hmmmm I had noted that for a little deeper investigation. I definitely want to have common fittings, no speciality stuff.

I was just about to pull the trigger, Thank you for mentioning that jfrey ! Triple likes for that !
If it comes down to fittings, I’d still recommend the Smitty. You can buy one, run it as it comes until the hose of fittings break down, refit it with a 1/4” U female of your favorite brand choice, then run all your existing hoses and whatever else and still be way under the cost of a bling compressor.

I’ll take a picture of what I did to mine tomorrow.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Was about to buy a viair at FourWheelParts, but went next door to see what Harbor Freight had....the same compressor in nylon bag instead of a fancy box.

turborich

I install on board air on all of my trucks/suv's. I go with a Viair or Firestone pump, depending on the available space a 2-5 gallon air tank. I install an air chuck at the rear bumper area and usually install air horns as well. Everything gets wired up and relayed so it has key on power and will automatically refill and shut off via a pressure switch. It comes in handy!

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Some neat setups for sure, I wish I had the room under hood to go that route. I was looking last night under my truck where the spare tire would normally be. Lots of room, I could probably go with a small tank there, fabricate some type of mounts for both tank & compressor but I had planned to do a large ammo can, maybe 2 for storage.

I really appreciate your, everyones input. You guys are great (y).

In keeping with the K.I.S.S Theory I’m going with the Viair 88 battery clip unit.

On the Toyota anyway inside mounting is not an option as if we decided to overnight that would disrupt sleeping area.

And 4wheel parts, that place is dangerous man ! That’s were my rims came from. Went in to pick them up, the wheels were spinning.....omg....LOL.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The Viair 88P came today. Already gave it a quick test. Nice little unit for $71 bucks. No complaints here !

I’d definitely recommend this to anyone. I’m going to put together a larger storage bag with the tire repair kit and a few other goodies for an all in one kit.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
A4FA3C61-003C-4A25-B2E4-DDB23D9A8320.jpeg
not much to see, later I’ll pull it out and take a better picture. What I really like is or noticed is the battery cable connections are perfectly sized, didn’t have to struggle to clip them onto battery, perfectly sized.

Aswild

I got the one from tirewell and it airs up 33’s in 10 min from 15# air down. I think I might hit up TRD and do the one under the hood I have been wanting to do that to my 4 runner

TRDPilot

Member (9mm)
Offer stands! I am a “hobbyists” that’s gotten pretty good. I have done one in a 99 TJ, one in a second Gen Taco and then in mine. I made a custom wire-harness for mine but it’s not required. My truck has a rear locker and I don’t see a need for a front so I eliminated it. When my truck is back in town; I lent it to my wife for a cross country trip, I will post up some detailed photos.

Here is my truck.
My goal is regear, rear bumper, and 33’s next year. Plus my solar and secondary power. All the work on my truck has been done in my driveway, bumper included.

-TRD

88226288-DC2E-4587-A486-DF87C0829A9D.jpeg