• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Pistol shooting high with rear sight as low as possible

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have a Beretta 70s in .22 that even when I use a 6 o’clock hold, at 10 yards, will still hit an inch or two higher than where I want it to. That’s when I am taking my time and shooting from a sandbag.

I have tried several different types and velocities of .22, and all are hitting too high.

My rear sight is as low as I can adjust it.

Would the best solution here be to file down the overall height of the rear sight blade? I mean file down the top to the left and right sides of the notch, and then lower the notch if the sight picture isn’t satisfactory?

There’s a NOS sight blade on eBay I could scoop up to see if it shoots any different and also so I wouldn’t have to modify the original sight?

STS Hunter

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I like the idea of replacement or I have heard about building up the front with JB weld on guns such as a Mosin Nagant.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Are you sure 10 yards is where you'll always want it? What does it do at 25?

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Are you sure 10 yards is where you'll always want it? What does it do at 25?
Also high. I can put it on paper and test, but it’s high at any range as which I have shot it

Kinoons

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I agree with trying to somehow find a way to raise the front sight.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yep, raise the front sight. If the sight is a solid blade that is actually part of the slide, you could have the front blade milled off and a dovetail cut. Then you could insert any front sight you wish.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I agree with trying to somehow find a way to raise the front sight.
Why would I try to ‘find some way’ to raise an integral front sight rather than lower the $18 removable rear blade tho? Like honest question why does modifying the permanent sight in some weird and ugly way make more sense than modifying the cheap and removable rear?

Yep, raise the front sight. If the sight is a solid blade that is actually part of the slide, you could have the front blade milled off and a dovetail cut. Then you could insert any front sight you wish.
That might not work on a Beretta 70. The front sight rides in a notch in the slide If a dovetail was installed it would have to have the base of the sight filed or milled down to match the exact contour of the barrel to fit under the slide and within the notch

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Why would I try to ‘find some way’ to raise an integral front sight rather than lower the $18 removable rear blade tho? Like honest question why does modifying the permanent sight in some weird and ugly way make more sense than modifying the cheap and removable rear?
My first assumption is also that the rear sight can't be lowered enough to make it feasible. I'd also start with the assumption that filing down the ears and notch of a rear sight might be more difficult than building up the front sight, and that it can actually be done in an attractive way. It's certainly a valid idea.

One idea I have used on a pistol that needed a taller front sight is that I epoxied a fiber optic rod on the top of the front sight. It raised it perfectly, and was a bright fiber optic upgrade at the same time.

Kinoons

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My first assumption is also that the rear sight can't be lowered enough to make it feasible. I'd also start with the assumption that filing down the ears and notch of a rear sight might be more difficult than building up the front sight, and that it can actually be done in an attractive way. It's certainly a valid idea.

One idea I have used on a pistol that needed a taller front sight is that I epoxied a fiber optic rod on the top of the front sight. It raised it perfectly, and was a bright fiber optic upgrade at the same time.
I’m also not familiar with the pistol in question - I didn’t know it was an intergrated front blade.

If I was going to do the work myself, I’d work on a replaceable part, as I’m a hack gunsmith at best.

If I was having a professional do the work then I’d explore both options.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Build the front sight up a few thousands with JB Weld steel filled epoxy, file it down to the correct height so it shoots where you want it too, then measure the height, take it to a gunsmith, have them remove the JB weld and build it up with silver brazing, and file to the correct height.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
According to the pics I found for a Beretta Model 70 in 22lr, the front sight is integral with the barrel. It's not part of the slide.
The rear sight is adjustable but it looks like there isn't much adjustment that can be made.
The barrel looks to be mounted solid to the frame and does not move

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If you can find a gunsmith with the skill, have the sight built up via TIG welding, then file it down.
The TIG weld, if done with the right filler rod, will take cold blue, the silver braze will not.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
If you can find a gunsmith with the skill, have the sight built up via TIG welding, then file it down.
I like this idea a lot more than the epoxy. The time to remove the epoxy completely for good brazing/welding negates the ease of the build-up for me.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Takes maybe 5 seconds and a pair of pliers to remove the epoxy, and another 10 seconds to clean it with some acetone, then water, to prep it for either the silver brazing or the TIG welding.
You swabbies:ROFLMAO: sure are impatient sorts!:ROFLMAO: