• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Precision 22LR Rifles

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have 2 10/22 rifles. One was built from a Kidd barreled action and trigger mounted in a Victor stock.

The other is my test/project rifle. It started as a Ruger Target Rifle. Since then I upgraded the stock to a Magpul X22 stock and a Ruger BX trigger. My latest upgrade was an FJ Federson barrel. This was there bull barrel that is threaded at the muzzle and it is also fluted. I got it out for the 1st time yesterday to get sighted in and I also shot a 22 bencherest match. I thought a bencherest match would tell me quite a bit about it's accuracy. Overall I was very pleased. In the 3 relays of the match in the 2nd relay it shot 22 of 25 10's. The other 2 relays it shot 10's in the high teens.

I zeroed the rifle using CCI Standard Velocity and shot the match using SK Rifle Match. Results were pretty much what I have learned about these 2 types and really all 22lr ammo. The CCI shot very well and gave comparable results as the match for the most part but the frequency of slight fliers was about twice that of the match grade ammo. On the flip side the match grade ammo costs twice as much as the CCI SV, 14c vs 7c.

More testing t come once we plant the 150 and 200 yard targets

Why not try a .22 Cal Biathlon type rifle?

Anschutz Model 1413 Super Match 54 Match Competition Rifle GI; #100968169 for $1225.00

I found this rifle and is the one that is used in competition, but you might be able to find something better.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
More testing t come once we plant the 150 and 200 yard targets
this is where your going to really see why you pay 14c pre round.

How much do you want to spend? $1449-$4595
if i was to do this all over again id buy the cheapest CZ455 i could find and an MPA chassis and send it to Don Smith in new york...for less than a 1k you get your rifle back and guaranteed to shoot 5 round groups at 50yds in the .2s...my rifle should be back in the next couple of weeks ill get back to this when it gets here.

this is where your going to really see why you pay 14c pre round.

if i was to do this all over again id buy the cheapest CZ455 i could find and an MPA chassis and send it to Don Smith in new york...for less than a 1k you get your rifle back and guaranteed to shoot 5 round groups at 50yds in the .2s...my rifle should be back in the next couple of weeks ill get back to this when it gets here.
Funny you should mentioned DJ. He is finishing up A custom cz455 for me right now. I should have it very soon

Rangemaster

Step Back Behind The Line
Man, now you did it. Might have to give DJ a call and see what he can do for mine.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Funny you should mentioned DJ. He is finishing up A custom cz455 for me right now. I should have it very soon

I’m pretty excited myself...my rifle shot very well to begin with so I can’t wait to see what it will do with an east coast pimp job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Man, now you did it. Might have to give DJ a call and see what he can do for mine.

Shoot him a pm over on the hide is the best way to get ahold of him...you already have the cz so no sense spending all that money on a voodoo.

Rangemaster

Shoot him a pm over on the hide is the best way to get ahold of him...you already have the cz so no sense spending all that money on a voodoo.

I know, i was looking at people showing their groups using the voodoo. I was not impressed, but there again I will wait to see how they shoot in the match.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My 22's are my fun guns. I've gone down the custom gun road with my centerfire match gun and don't have that desire any more. I got into shooting 22 tactical and BR to relax. I don't see this as a trainer for centerfire. I can shoot my 6.5CM as much as I have time for (need more time).

The cool thing about the 10/22, like the RPR is that I can do everything myself. The NRL22 matches go out to 100 yards and a decent 10/22 with a few mods can hang with rifles 3 or 4 times the cost.

My only problem now is that I'm getting lazy when thinking about running the bolt on my 6.5.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I had the opportunity to put a mag thru a Vudoo rifle at the last NRL22 match. It is a very well built quality rifle for any caliber. This rifle had a lower magnification scope on it so I shot a 10 round group at a 1" circle at 75 yards. All 10 well in the circle so Moa or smaller. In talking with the owner he had around $2600 into this rifle without the scope and bipod. Is it worth it? If you weren't thinking 22lr and just looking at the quality of the build then yes this was a $2600 quality rifle.

I also received my Ruger Precision Rimfire today. I got home and tore it down for a thorough cleaning, reversed the safety to the right side, mounted the M-Loc rail and bipod, hosed down the trigger with cleaner/lube and re-torqued everything. I checked the trigger pull and although it states it has a 2.5-5lb trigger mine is set to 1.6 from the factory, must be really good cleaner/lube huh. I also removed the spring clip off of the bolt so the bolt throw is the same as my RPR. Scope comes in on Wednesday so I'll get some ammo testing in later next week.

Also a little over a month ago I replaced the barrel on my Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle. I've used it for 2- 22 benchrest matches now and I am very impressed with the results so far. Someone could take a bone stock 22 ranch rifle, add a $200 barrel and a $60 trigger to end up with a very accurate 22lr rifle. We were getting very nice hits on steel out to 200 yards last Saturday. I'll need to get some paper out there to get measurements next time out.

22lr is a lot of fun.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
And just as addicting and expensive as the big rifles...I should have my CZ back soon...I’ll post back with a report after I shoot it.

Rangemaster

I had the opportunity to put a mag thru a Vudoo rifle at the last NRL22 match. It is a very well built quality rifle for any caliber. This rifle had a lesser magnificat scope on it so I shot a 10 round group at a 1" circle at 75 yards. All 10 well in the circle so Moa or submit. In talking with the owner he had around $2600 into this rifle without the scope and bipod. Is it worth it? If you weren't thinking 22lr and just looking at the quality of the build then yes this was a $2600 quality rifle.

I also received my Ruger Precision Rimfire today. I got home and tore it down for a thorough cleaning, reversed the safety to the right side, mounted the M-Loc rail and bipod, hosed down the trigger with cleaner/lube and re-torqued everything. I checked the trigger pull and although it has a 2.5-5lb trigger mine is set to 1.6 from the factory, must be really good cleaner/lube huh. I also removed the spring clip off of the bolt so the bolt throw is the same as my RPR. Scope comes in on Wednesday so I'll get some ammo testing in later next week.

Also a little over a month ago I replaced the barrel on my Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle. I've used it for 2- 22 benchrest matches now and I am very impressed with the results so far. Someone could take a bone stock 22 ranch rifle, add a $200 barrel and a $60 trigger to end up with a very accurate 22lr rifle. We were getting very nice hits on steel out to 200 yards last Saturday. I'll need to get some paper out there to get measurements next time out.

22lr is a lot of fun.
I like the concept of the vudoo, but what about the weight of the rifle. No one seems to talk about how much a fully equipped rifle weighs with scope on it.

When shooting NRL22 matches, shooting off hand would be a little bit rough with a heavy rifle.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Same weight as a Remington or clone and final weight will depend on the accessories you add

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I like the concept of the vudoo, but what about the weight of the rifle. No one seems to talk about how much a fully equipped rifle weighs with scope on it.

When shooting NRL22 matches, shooting off hand would be a little bit rough with a heavy rifle.
My report on the Vudoo was about how well built it is and it's accuracy. Many of the people that bought the Vudoo talk about how they want to replicate their CF rifles in as many ways as possible including weight.Like I said before the whole 22lr deal for me is about fun and a 14-16lb rifle just isn't fun once off of the bipod. I also am not too sold on the Vudoo being built to replicate a R700. While that opens doors to many aftermarket parts it also means that everything costs serious money.

I do have a bunch of fun though shooting my 10lb Rugers, even off handed. I like that I can shoot 7-15 cent ammo, can get a good barrel for $200, a trigger for $65 and a stock for $135. As far as replicating my CF rifle, well I shoot an RPR and just bought the new RP-Rimfire. They are very similar in terms of ergos. Even then though running my 10/22 is very fun with just focusing on shooting and not thinking about running a bolt. I still have zero idea about where I will use the new RPR but I just couldn't resist buying one after seeing it at SHOT.