• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Pump Action Shotgun Shortage?

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
It does seem to be more 12 ga defensive type shotguns available than 20 ga. If you are after a 20 due to recoil concerns, another option would be go with a 12 ga but just use low recoil shells

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
linny, I have a 20 gauge 870 (an X serial number, built on the 12 gauge receiver) and a couple of 12 gauge 870s. I can't really feel much difference between them when shooting both with 2 3/4 buck or slug. A 12 with light/controlled recoil loads might not be a bad idea.

I put the 20 gauge up for sale at a couple of gun shows, lots of interest as it's a bit unusual but no takers. On the other hand, I wasn't willing to let it go dirt cheap considering what I'd put into it and there not being too many around.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
linny, I have a 20 gauge 870 (an X serial number, built on the 12 gauge receiver) and a couple of 12 gauge 870s. I can't really feel much difference between them when shooting both with 2 3/4 buck or slug. A 12 with light/controlled recoil loads might not be a bad idea.

I put the 20 gauge up for sale at a couple of gun shows, lots of interest as it's a bit unusual but no takers. On the other hand, I wasn't willing to let it go dirt cheap considering what I'd put into it and there not being too many around.
Don't cut up that X numbered 20 ga barrel, they are almost impossible to find now a days. it took me 6 months to find one for my 20ga Wingmaster, light weight barrels are easy to find but they don't fit the Lg frame guns, I was just about ready to convert mine to 12ga when I found a 20ga barrel.

eQ

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Don't cut up that X numbered 20 ga barrel, they are almost impossible to find now a days. it took me 6 months to find one for my 20ga Wingmaster, light weight barrels are easy to find but they don't fit the Lg frame guns, I was just about ready to convert mine to 12ga when I found a 20ga barrel.

eQ
Amen to that. I searched for quite some time before finding a barrel that was damaged at the muzzle so that I could cut it without guilt. It makes for a nice convertible kit in 20 gauge.

Edit: It's the middle shotgun in the photo below, shown with the shortened barrel. The original barrel is untouched but not shown.

Last edited: