• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

QD Suppressor Mounting Recommendations.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
One of the suppressors I'm waiting on uses the somewhat standard 1-3/4xwhatever thread pattern for the rear mount. The suppressor comes with a direct thread adapter. One of the firearms I intend to use this on is a Ruger Gunsite Scout.

A direct thread is pretty much a no go on that rifle because of the lack of a true shoulder, and the placement of the front sight.

Most people suppressing the Ruger GSR are using any of many different QD options.

Could any of you all suggest some good, quality QD setups that are designed to work with the 1-3/4" threads?

I know of YHM's Phantom QD Adapter
1698445266083.png

and the AAC STAMP adapter
1698445239854.png

But I'm not really familiar with any other QD mount systems that can be swapped out. Could anybody point me in the direction of a few?

42tula

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
The keymo is great but is heavy. I moved from the silencerco asr mount, to the griffin taper mount, to the dead air keymo, to the dead air Xeno, and then lastly to the Rearden Atlas mount system. The atlas is superior, I feel in every way.

42tula

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Keep in mind that the Rearden Atlas is a fine thread, taper mount. It’s not a true “QD” mount. It is however light, compact, and once it’s snugged on by the user it isn’t coming off until it cools down. Another thing, it’s nice because the zero is repeatable with the can EVERY time.

These are just my opinions, and the mount fulfills my needs perfectly. YMMV.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Another thing, it’s nice because the zero is repeatable with the can EVERY time.
That, right there, could be the selling point for me. I'm less concerned with the QD part and more driven by a quality multi-mount solution and the least POI shift when moving cans around. Definitely looking into it now.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Don’t think I’m going to be buying anything from dead air given the recent happenings.

Kinoons

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I got roped into the gemtech system when I SBRed my PS90 and Matt Babb put a gemtech flash hider on the barrel.

So far I’ve been happy with my gemtech products.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Keep in mind that the Rearden Atlas is a fine thread, taper mount. It’s not a true “QD” mount. It is however light, compact, and once it’s snugged on by the user it isn’t coming off until it cools down. Another thing, it’s nice because the zero is repeatable with the can EVERY time.

These are just my opinions, and the mount fulfills my needs perfectly. YMMV.

I've been looking into this, and maybe i didnt see it but I am having a bit of a time understanding their system.

So what I've seen so far is as you said, its not "QD" which I should have been more clear about, I'm not necessariyl looking for like a tri lug type that just twists on all fast. I should have just said a non-direct thread type system.

It looks to me like there are two options for the actual "mounting" end cap for:

The Atlas and the Atlas XL.
https://www.reardenmfg.com/product/atlas-thread-adapter/
https://www.reardenmfg.com/product/atlas-xl-thread-adapter-2/

The difference here being that the XL allows more room "inside" the suppressor so you can use a longer muzzle device and not be touching the blast baffle, correct?

And then those rear mounts can be used with any bonkers number of different muzzle devices?
like this plain bird-cagey one?
https://www.reardenmfg.com/product/r2s/

Again, whether you need the regular or XL end cap would depend on which MD you choose, and the dimensions of your particular suppressors blast chamber yes?

But that all being said, its just a fine thread/taper mount, no lugs or ratchets or anything like that?

The suppressor this is going to be used on is NOT made for doing a bunch of mag dumps and stuff, its more of a precision rifle suppressor, it'll be on some bolt guns, hunting rifles, etc. So, this seems like it would maybe be a good fit for the atlas since its not a "hard use" suppressor thats gonna get all beat on and mag dumped etc?

Thanks again for everybody's suggestions, I'm totally new to this.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Also I notice they have a few different options on some of the devices, including face mount, which would probably be the best option for my GSR, as I can keep the MD off of the front sight which has basically zero shoulder.

Edit: actually wait, are they ALL face mount? Some have an option for square or 25 degree taper, what does that refer to? Theres a stunning lack of info on their website...

Last edited:

42tula

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Hey Doc. Yes the regular vs XL depends on what length MD you want and the depth of your cans blast baffle. I use them on hard use cans as well as my bolt guns can. I’ve yet to have one of the mount loosen (when applied correctly), since as the MD heats up the taper essentially “swells” into the taper edge of the atlas inside the can.

It does such a good job that I’ve actually separated the can from the mount before the muzzle device unlocks from the mount.

The atlas is compatible with any and all Plan B type muzzle devices (Q, Rearden, FCD). The dimensions on your can, are usually online or you can email the company and ask for tech support. For the record, I use a Rearden single port brake for the bolt gun, and a suppressed only AR, while the ARs that typically don’t have a dedicated suppressor get the 6315RF from FCD. I do advise against using the Q cherry bomb because it has no wrench flats and can get locked in the atlas very easily.

Use a dab of rocksett on the barrel / muzzle device threads when installing it. Torque and let cure. Thread the can into the muzzle device when ready to use, and give it a “snug” twist to engage the taper. You will feel the difference when engaging the taper. To take the can off rifle, let it cool and then remove from MD. Also, don’t try to thread the can into the MD when the rifle is hot. It will not seat correctly, and it will loosen resulting in a baffle strike (learned this one the hard way).

Last edited:

42tula

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
The only issue I know about with a direct thread can is the installation and or removal of the can from the host. Over time, one would run a chance at damaging the muzzle threads if the can doesn’t stay put and also that the can may loosen against the barrel shoulder. Either way you go, have fun.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Waiting to hear from rearden about any face mount options that may exist for my rifle. Or alternative solutions to a shoulder mount (squaring up the face of the front sight and threads?). Their system would be ideal because it’s minimal and light weight.

Heard back from J-Mac customs and apparently their face mount rear adapter should work just fine on my particular rifle (this assumes the muzzle is square to the bore). So that’s at least a viable option.

Still trying to research other options in the meantime.

Appreciate all the advice here.

bugeyedwagon86

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
+500 for Rearden. The “Q” plan B setup which their devices are designed to fit is fantastic. The taper design they use makes installing and removing your suppressors a breeze. I’ve converted everything I have to this setup (except for a couple dedicated surefire guns).

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Decided to stick with direct thread for this .30 cal for the time being.

Got a muzzle indexing rear adapter for the suppressor and it seems to have worked wonderfully

IMG_2581.jpeg IMG_2587.jpeg