• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Quick question on reloads

Is it legal to sell reloads as components that a reloaded can disassemble and reload - not to be fired, or do I need to find an amnesty box to dump them in?

If the reloaded ammo was manufactured by a licensed manufacturer, you can re-sell them to be shot.... be sure to disclose that info to the buyer. More specifically to your question, if you do not want the buyer to shoot the rounds, put a disclaimer that they are only good for disassembly and not to be shot.

NYECOGunsmith

BANNED FOR LIFE
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
This forum does not allow the sale of non licensed remanufactured ammo, even if marked as "scrap" or for "tear down for components only".

The sale of home reloaded ammunition is not illegal in any way that I am aware of, in any state.

The sale of home reloaded ammunition, constructed by a non licensed ammunition remanufacturing entity is not a good idea from a liability stand point however.

It would be safer for all if the seller broke down the ammunition him/her self and then sold the components, this would negate the possibility of anyone ever firing that home reloaded ammunition and being injured in any way due to it being defective, improperly assembled, etc.

NYECOGunsmith

BANNED FOR LIFE
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you were going to sell reloaded ammunition as a business, you would need either a type 06 or a type 07 FFL, but it's not illegal to sell home reloaded ammunition on a occasional basis.

akaTrex

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I think it's just Trouble waiting. Back in Cali a store that sold reloads got sued.
TOO Much Bullseye gun powder in 38's. Witnessed a 38 Special Rossi go BOOM!
Thankfully no damage to his gun hand! Although the gun didn't fare well.

NYECOGunsmith

BANNED FOR LIFE
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you are loading it with the sole intent to sell, does that change anything?
Yes, because then you are an unlicensed manufacturer in the eyes of Uncle Sam, and he, via his swift sword of injustice, the BATFE, will smite thee mightily with many federal felony charges, and fines, plus confinement in one of the goobermunts federal dungeons.

EXCAL

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.
No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]

The feds consider any selling as a business.

This reminds me of a .30 cal can full to the top with .44 mags reloads a friend of mine gave me before he passed away, they look good with Remington 240gn HPs, only problem is this guy blew up a Ruger Super Blackhawk with his hand loads, well it just split the cylinder on the chamber of the round he fired so I guess it did not blow up technically but I digress, this was 30 years ago and I still have the ammo and the SBH, I gave him 75$ for it and sent it back to Ruger and they fit a new cylinder for 40$. I tried to pull a couple of the bullets with a Qunetics hammer type puller but he put such a heavy roll crimp it takes about 10-15 smacks of the hammer on a 1" thick steel table top that I don't think the puller is going to last too long and there is not enough of the bullet sticking out to pull with a collet type puller.
So the can just sits there under all the other cans until I can figure out what to do with it, the Ruger went to Ray Lynn's for one of his deep blue jobs and a red front sight insert, this would be my Barbeque gun if I went to BBQ's IMGP2535.JPG

eQ

RSB's are pretty stout, if his loads split a chamber, his loads were too hot. In your case I might buy several hammer pullers and try your own reloading, if you do not want to go that route, bury em deep or drown em deep, but do not pass em on without a severe caveat on the possible consequences.

Chit happens and I would not want to be a part of anyone else's misfortune, but that's just me.

YMMV.
Edit: Forgot to mention nice revolver ya got there!