• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Reloading .50 Action Express

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have a chronograph.
If you are interested in finding out how that load is doing, maybe this weekend we can send it through the screens.
I’m around all weekend. Just doin’ yard work. But should have Some free time. Gotta put it all back together since I tore it all apart last weekend haha

Is there shooting space out by you?

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Well since I figured out my need to seat/crimp separately I set about tracking down a crimp die.

40 websites later I was empty handed. Even searched eBay. Then I started searching just part numbers, and found one on eBay listed by the part number by a seller who clearly doesn’t know what it actually is. As a bonus it came with a Lee expander. Not that I need that, but still.
28A1B19D-0486-465F-8495-6D71A9111628.jpeg

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Okay, rounds are burning clean now, but still having issues with bullet setback in the magazine. I had loaded them to the point where I couldn't press them in, but I worked with the lightest crimp I could to achieve that.

So, I tightened the crimp a bit an will try some more.

No other issues, and its cycling well. I got whacked in the firehead with a piece of brass that drew blood, lol.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
One of Jack's comments about this cartridge and that gun was "...he should get comfortable with the idea of gluing those bullets in the cases...", and he wasn't kidding.
Yeah, I'm comfortable with it, just no idea how to do it or what type of product to use.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Think I got it with the crimp adjustment I made the other day.

Loaded 10 rounds, kept the same 3 in the bottom of the mag while I fired the other 7. A different one of those 3 was chambered each time (after firing the 4th round above it.

No movement.

Went ahead and loaded a full box of em, will try this weekend and report back, but I think its where it needs to be.