• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rock Island VR60 - Any Good?

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Seems like a good deal in the long run.
In five years people will have forgotten all about this promotion and you'd probably be able to sell it for about what you paid after getting to enjoy it a bunch, and upgrade to something else.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If it's anything like the Tristar Tactical I picked up, it'll surprise you by running ammo you'd think would be an instant fail. The Tristar even ran an assortment of old junk low and high brass paper hulls until it got so dirty that the paper stuck in the chamber and the extractor ripped the base off the hull, bringing the party to a stop until I cleaned the chamber.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Aite. So yesterday I took the Turkish wonder out with a bunch of Winchester garbage target load.

The gun had had about 50 flawless rounds of buck and dove load through it before this outing.

With the winchester light target it was basically a single shot. While I didn’t LIKE that, it’s what I expected. Nearly every round would stovepipe or if it was able to eject it wouldn’t grab the next shell, so it seems under gassed.
D86ADABC-8740-4864-8468-E67198FF38CC.jpeg A207AB81-5F58-4812-92D6-0981F1A9FDDD.jpeg

BANG rack flip.
BANG rack flip.
BANG rack flip.

So I just kept with it. I got through maybe 60 or so rounds of target load maybe having two instances where I could fire two shots in a row.

Loaded up a magazine and kept going.

Bang bang rack flip
bang bang bang rack flip
Bang bang rack flip

Hmmm this seems better.

Keep loading mags. By the end of the 100 rounds I brought with me I was able to get through 9 round magazines with only 1 malfunction. The last mag I fired 2 shots, cleared a malfunction, then Dumped the next 7.

So that’s awesome. It’s breaking in. I may go out here in a minute and run another 100.

I’m not surprised or disappointed that it’s having issues with light target load, 1150FPS stuff. It’s a semi and it’s new.

It’s still been reliable with dove load and buck, which i guess is really what matters, but as a range toy I’d like it to cycle cheap target load. It’s getting there.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
K ran another 100 garbage loads.

It’s to the point where it’s having roughly one malfunction every other mag on average. I’m able to sometimes run a full mag sometimes not. Typically if threes a malfunction it’s only one in the whole mag.

So it’s breaking in.

That all being said I’m not upset at this performance given it’s about the cheapest and lightest loaded stuff you can get off the shelf. I have some that is slightly hotter. 1200fps stuff. Might run better might not.

Also this spot is about a 3 minute drive from my house. I like Washoe County better than Clark.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Pretty sure that I won one of these in a raffle today. I really didn't examine the pix of the gun I just bought 5 tickets for $20. They called me today saying that I had won the shotgun.