• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ruger Wrangler .22

i was at ventura munitions this morning picking up some armscor 22lr ammo that i ordered online at $10/50 and noticed a bronze ruger wrangler on sale for $199.

bravo zulu to ventura munitions for: having 22lr (& wmr) ammo, selling it at non highway robbery prices, having a wrangler in stock, selling it too at a reasonable price.

if i didn’t have one already it would be home with me as i write. most folks new to handguns would be 100% best served by going to ventura asap, and walking out with a wrangler and a brick of ammo.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
i was at ventura munitions this morning picking up some armscor 22lr ammo that i ordered online at $10/50 and noticed a bronze ruger wrangler on sale for $199.

bravo zulu to ventura munitions for: having 22lr (& wmr) ammo, selling it at non highway robbery prices, having a wrangler in stock, selling it too at a reasonable price.

if i didn’t have one already it would be home with me as i write. most folks new to handguns would be 100% best served by going to ventura asap, and walking out with a wrangler and a brick of ammo.
$10/50? I may have to break out my Armscor 'brick' of 4k rounds! :)

Gullwing

Padawan Apprentice 3rd Class
Staff member
Picked up a used Bronze Wrangler before Christmas. Niece lucked out and her gift showed up at the last minute otherwise it would have been hers. "Uncle I don't want another gun". I am sure she will get it sooner or later. :LOL:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Picked up a used Bronze Wrangler before Christmas. Niece lucked out and her gift showed up at the last minute otherwise it would have been hers. "Uncle I don't want another gun". I am sure she will get it sooner or later. :LOL:
You can be my uncle anytime! :ROFLMAO:

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I picked up one on impulse at Sportsman's in Carson last week, and just got to shoot it for the first time last weekend. I was ready to be disappointed after comparing it with my vintage Single-Six, but it shot right to point of aim at 15 yards. My only gripe is that there were a few small pinholes in the Cerakote finish on the frame, and when it was assembled, whoever did it didn't pay attention and their tool scraped the frame at one of the backstrap screws. Both covered up okay with a swipe of the paint pen.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I picked up one on impulse at Sportsman's in Carson last week, and just got to shoot it for the first time last weekend. I was ready to be disappointed after comparing it with my vintage Single-Six, but it shot right to point of aim at 15 yards. My only gripe is that there were a few small pinholes in the Cerakote finish on the frame, and when it was assembled, whoever did it didn't pay attention and their tool scraped the frame at one of the backstrap screws. Both covered up okay with a swipe of the paint pen.
When I bought mine I sorted through 3 or 4 that they had a sportsman’s and picked the least messed up one.

I figure at that price point with that kind of finish there will be a few imperfections.

Other than that, it shoots awesome and I love it. Some new grips really liven it up. These are Buffalo horn. I also have some thicker white cheap plastic ones that feel good. E1E04B80-C79C-48D8-8778-E2FFEAAB8372.jpeg

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I would have picked through them if they'd had more than one. As it was, I took the display gun. Agreed, at the price point a couple of imperfections in the Cerakote are no big deal but holding a screwdriver straight when driving a screw isn't rocket science. Luckily mine is black and easily touched up.

Nice grips, by the way!

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Ive been debating whether or not to get a Wrangler or a Goldenboy rifle for my next purchase. Neither fills any holes in my collection, just the next thing i want. I dont like the cerakote look of the wranglers at all though. They look like cap guns to me. I very much prefer the look of the Heritage Rough Rider and have owned a few but the quality of the Wrangler besides the finish material i think is better.

Im sure others here own both. Thoughts??
What grip frame are these on? Is it common with any other ruger???

Edit: i looked on the ruger website. The "Black Cherry" color might be cool. Anybody happen to own one they have pictures of in real daylight? Im always looking for stuff that i can get the women in my life interested in shooting. This might be a hot ticket.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Im sure others here own both. Thoughts??
What grip frame are these on? Is it common with any other ruger???
The grip frame is the same as basically everything else. XR3-RED....Vaquero, Single Six, Blackhawk, Wrangler...

If you dont like the cerakote, Get the Talo one. Its a more normal looking cerakote finish with wood grips, just looks like a somewhat dull old bluing.

1622042962624.png

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I've been thinking of getting one since they're so inexpensive ... But I have a Single Six.

Been thinking more along the lines of a SP101 22lr .... But they be pricey.
I'll find something I like used sooner or later.