• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SAFETY - Some Trainers Just Don’t Get It

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Just (fack)ing dumb. Flashbacks to the dumb ass DEA that shot himself in the leg after his loser buddy checks the pistol to be safe.

Did training half way around the globe for years and never allowed loaded or un loaded weapons in a class room setting. Told people you will be checked with a metal detector, find a weapon you are out.

Tired of the I know everything complacent mofo’s in life. His (fack)ing stupidity cost a young woman her life. Her family worried about her entering LE and something may happen to her on the streets during a call. Sure in hell they didn’t think she would be killed by friendly fire.

People need to monitor this (poop) and stop thinking just because you are a LEO and carry a gun you know everything. There are some LEO on here that I would have no problem working with or them having my back. I have also been around a lot of incredibly unsafe LEO that I told to pick another career or get your (poop) together.

Last edited:

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Just (fack)ing dumb. Flashbacks to the dumb ass DEA that shot himself in the leg after his loser buddy checks the pistol to be safe.

Did training half way around the globe for years and never allowed loaded or un loaded weapons in a class room setting. Told people you will be checked with a metal detector, find a weapon you are out.

Tired of the I know everything complacent mofo’s in life. His (fack)ing stupidity cost a young woman her life. Her family worried about her entering LE and something may happen to her on the streets during a call. Sure in hell they didn’t think she would be killed by friendly fire.

People need to monitor this (poop) and stop thinking just because you are a LEO and carry a gun you know everything. There are some LEO on here that I would have no problem working with or them having my back. I have also been around a lot of incredibly unsafe LEO that I told to pick another career or get your (poop) together.
Reminds me of the LAPD officer who was recently killed by hands/feet in training by other officers simulating a rioting mob.

I saw too many guys get permanently hurt during training. Usually by instructors that had an ego.

I always made it clear to weaponless defense trainers when I had to take a class, “ I’m not here to get hurt and go out on a medical retirement. If you
come at me too hard, I will (fack) you up”.

Only had to do it once, and took my service retirement after 36 years.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Reminds me of the LAPD officer who was recently killed by hands/feet in training by other officers simulating a rioting mob.

I saw too many guys get permanently hurt during training. Usually by instructors that had an ego.

I always made it clear to weaponless defense trainers when I had to take a class, “ I’m not here to get hurt and go out on a medical retirement. If you
come at me too hard, I will (fack) you up”.

Only had to do it once, and took my service retirement after 36 years.
Totally agree. Leave the damn ego at the door. Not that I haven’t said this enough to you in person but again thank you for your service.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
The hundreds of times I have conducted Simunition force on force training, every time I get some participant complaining because we follow the protocol of searching everyone for non-sim weapons before they enter the training area. And we still find deadly weapons and ammunition on some of participants. I had one LEO I threw out of my class because he refused to give up his back up gun. Telling me "I never go anywhere without a gun." So he got bounced from the training, and a letter went to his Chief.

When you cut corners in training safety protocols, this is what happens.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
The hundreds of times I have conducted Simunition force on force training, every time I get some participant complaining because we follow the protocol of searching everyone for non-sim weapons before they enter the training area. And we still find deadly weapons and ammunition on some of participants. I had one LEO I threw out of my class because he refused to give up his back up gun. Telling me "I never go anywhere without a gun." So he got bounced from the training, and a letter went to his Chief.

When you cut corners in training safety protocols, this is what happens.
Well said and thank you for bouncing the guy and sending a letter. Some people will say that is harsh and what’s the big deal. Heard that a lot over the years.

flyer338

NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I attended my CCW training in November 2019 and, on the range portion, I called out to the owner of the training company what I considered to be an unsafe situation. When the class reported to the firing line one of the students was openly carrying a Glock in a shoulder holster such that he was continuely sweeping everyone behind him. There was a magazine in the Glock. The company owner blew me off, and I was on the verge of packing up and leaving. Then one of the instructors, very professionaly, relieved shoulder holster guy of his Glock and verified it to be safe. I will not tolerate being swept with any firearm at any time.
The training company was Adapt Academy. In addition, during the classroom portion, they had a 30 minute presentation that was nothing more than a commercial for USCCA. I already did not like that company and the presentation was painful to endure.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I will not allow training with shoulder holsters with other students on the line. Because in training, you'll be drawing, and that's where the problem is.

Just CARRYING (no handling whatsoever) in a horizontal shoulder holster openly can be considered rude, but it's not a safety violation, even when fully loaded. Most are under jackets and the muzzles aren't seen.

flyer338

NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I will not allow training with shoulder holsters with other students on the line. Because in training, you'll be drawing, and that's where the problem is.

Just CARRYING (no handling whatsoever) in a horizontal shoulder holster openly can be considered rude, but it's not a safety violation, even when fully loaded. Most are under jackets and the muzzles aren't seen.
Concealed is concealed; what I cannot see cannot annoy me. This was very different because it was a CCW class environment. Safety should be heavily reinforced during both the classroom and range portions of the class. Sweeping anyone will generally get one ejected from any well run match or class.
I have used a shoulder holster on occasion during the 40 years I have been carrying concealed. Always, the handgun was carried so the muzzle was pointed down.

Last edited:

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Concealed is concealed; what I cannot see cannot annoy me. This was very different because it was a CCW class environment. Safety should be heavily reinforced during both the classroom and range portions of the class. Sweeping anyone will generally get one ejected from any well run match or class.
I have used a shoulder holster on occasion during the 40 years I have been carrying concealed. Always, the handgun was carried so the muzzle was pointed down.
While holstered a firearm cannot discharge. As such it doesn’t matter who or what is being swept by the barrel. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about a firearm in a properly fitted horizontal shoulder holster.

Now a firearm being handled, that’s completely different. As MAC noted, not okay for a class or drawing on a range line. If he’s just carrying his CCW and shooting another pistol I don’t see the problem.

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.