• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sales tax letter for registration of Rzr?

Madpyro

Mineral Co SAR
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’m in the process of registering my 2014 Rzr 570 here in Nv. I recently moved from Ca. Rzr was ordered and bought on credit in 2013, paid off in 2016, (Have pink slip) and has been properly registered in Ca since 2013. Nv. DMV wants proof that the sales tax was paid. Is this normal?

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
If you buy a car from an out of state dealer, you will owe sales tax. I just bought a car from a dealer in Phoenix and paid the sales tax at the Reno DMV a few weeks ago.

If the was purchased from a private party though instead of a dealer, no sales tax is required.

BW64

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yep! Wait until you try to get the "real license"!!! They want everything but your kids!!

BW

Kinoons

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If you buy a car from an out of state dealer, you will owe sales tax. I just bought a car from a dealer in Phoenix and paid the sales tax at the Reno DMV a few weeks ago.

If the was purchased from a private party though instead of a dealer, no sales tax is required.
Also if you paid sails tax in one jurisdiction, such as CA, you don’t pay sales tax in another.

Since your atv was purchased in CA and you lived in CA at the time I don’t see the issue on why they want proof that you paid CA sales tax. With that being said a copy of your sales agreement should be able to prove that easily.

Roach

I buy cars in CA and have brought over cars registered in CA. If it is not a new vehicle, and was already registered in CA, or any other state for that matter, that is proof - in and of itself - that the tax has been paid. Ive never been asked on an already registered vehicle if tax was paid or to provide proof. With a new out of state purchase you're going to have to pay the difference between the tax you paid and the tax you would have paid here.

It seems like the DMV is giving you the run around. I'd just call them tomorrow.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yep! Wait until you try to get the "real license"!!! They want everything but your kids!!

BW
I passed on that one. "But, you won't be able to fly!"...:D

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Send them a letter asking them to prove otherwise!

Whatever happened to presumption of innocence?

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I passed on that one. "But, you won't be able to fly!"...:D
I actually got a speech from the bluehair at the DMV at my last renewal. We will be penalized in the short term by much more frequently having to renew in person, and she actually told me: "You people can drag your feet as much as you want, but you'll have to do it soon anyway!"

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I was wondering if I should underline those two words to emphasize it. That was actually the part that irritated me the most. All I said was a polite "No, thank you," or "Not this time, thanks," and got a "You people _____" lecture from a public servant.

Kinoons

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My answer was getting a passport card with my passport book. Good for 10 years. Boom.

Getting global entry also gets you an ID card. Only good for 5 years at a time though.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've traveled. I'm done with it. And I don't need to fly anywhere domestically. Airport "security" has taken all interest of that away anyway.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've traveled. I'm done with it. And I don't need to fly anywhere domestically. Airport "security" has taken all interest of that away anyway.
Yep...will never fly again.

Airlines are kinda cattle like mentality,
private flight much more humane.
Great stuff coming
scary too,check out (flying cops of Dubai) rotar blade danger.
Don't even think they give em any sim time just get on and fly.
As the world, sometimes you see too much....
Terra est bene habeo