• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Show off those Wheelguns

Anybody know any smiths that could remove the SSN and refinish the service plate? I can't believe someone did that, but I wouldn't have got it so cheap if they hadn't, lol. Got it from a pawn shop when I was living in TX.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Crazy how cartridge names evolved sometimes.

.38 S&W Specials will go into any .357 Mag, but .38 S&Ws are the old heeled bullet diameter and not interchangeable in any direction. I shoot them in my Enfield #2 revolver though. The British just called it the .38-200 (bullet weight)

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Anybody know any smiths that could remove the SSN and refinish the service plate? I can't believe someone did that, but I wouldn't have got it so cheap if they hadn't, lol. Got it from a pawn shop when I was living in TX.
Looks pretty deep. You could probably thin it out a lot before refinishing. I dunno about removing it altogether. You might be able to get a new plate, though?

No need for a 'smith unless you don't feel comfortable taking the plate off and losing something. Just use progressively finer sandpaper until all scratches disappear.

Last edited:

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
So I've heard conflicting opinions on firing .38 Special out of this thing. Yay or nay?
.38 SPL is .38 Special. You were probably told not to shoot .38 Special +P out of it. Since there is no need to do so, don't.

I purchased these 3 S&W revolvers from a retired Iowa Stated Patrol officer. His son's wife did not want guns in the house and he wanted to sell them. He went to Cabelas and was offered very low pricing. A mutual friend suggested he contact ,e and I bought them. The blued gun is a model 13, the patrol only carried these for a short time then model 66 and the last revolver before going to semi autos was a 686. The 66 has the offiicers badge number and the side plate of the 686 is the same as the shoulder patch.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I purchased these 3 S&W revolvers from a retired Iowa State Patrol officer. His son's wife did not want guns in the house ...
That says so much about some ignorant b!tch, right there, as well as her husband. Too bad the spineless son let her get away with this. To not want his dad's guns that had his police badge numbers on them? And all while he's presumably alive but forced to live with them? Buy a safe, b!tch, and "let" your husband have his dad's heirlooms. Don't force the old man to sell his guns, even if you "must" get rid of them after he passes. Rant off. Glad they went to a home that appreciates them.

The trooper I bought these from was pilot, said the only time he shot them was to qualify. At the time I lived in Iowa and the troopers son was living in Las Vegas and was flying for the Thunderbirds. I have since sold them to serious collectors of law enforcement weapons.

A friend got rid of all the pistols , rifles and shotguns he had as his wife no longer approved of them being in the safe..
He took them to a local shop , I told them what they would offer , he changed his mind and offered them to me for what they would pay. Had them all gone to new homes in an hour. This was way prior to Jan 2020 for those curious. :) I did keep the super clean Colt Challenger (1954) with box for myself.

I have sold most of my pre WW 2 S&W and Colts, they were safe queens nice to look at but dare not shoot them as if any damage would hurt collector value. I previously showed a Korth and now I bought a Manurhin model 73 target. The trigger and the hammer strength are adjustable with separate screws in the front of the grip. These guns were made famous by French GIGN police agency. These guns are supposed to hold up to 150,000 rounds of full power .357 ammo.

6 rounds 7 years double action.

akaTrex

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
The one I wish I never sold. My Old Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag. Not made anymore and mind-boggling Expensive if you can find one.
One of the Top Metallic Silhouette guns along with my S&W 629 44 mag. during my IHMSA shooting days.

Standard 357 Mags was not powerful enough to knock down Rams at 200 Yards. Unfortunately, the 357 Maximum caused Forcing Cone Damage! Thankfully the Dan Wesson had interchangeable Barrels! DW 357 Super Mag.JPG IHMSA-1 (1).jpg

Regular 357 Mags didn't have the power to knock down the 45-50 Lbs RAM target at 200 yards.

Last edited: