• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Show off those Wheelguns

Luxom

Obsessed Member
If you shoot left and low, your grip is off. Use more support hand grip.
I'd always heard it was from right handed shooters forcing the gun. Apparently lefties suffer it as well but low and right although i dont have the same problem shooting offhand but thats perhaps because i only shoot unsupported offhand??? Regardless, You can train this out with blankfire/snapcap drills in my experience.
Not saying you're wrong in the training approach simply that this has always been my explanation and experience.

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911
If you shoot left and low, your grip is off. Use more support hand grip.
At age 82 I am sure my father was using all the grip strength he had. He used to shoot smiley faces at 15 yards with his Ruger when he was in 30’s.
Dad never had to pull his weapon while working or so he said. He trained me on a DA revolver by placing a quarter on my grip hand. When I could squeeze the trigger without the coin falling that’s when I could shoot live rounds.

I'd always heard it was from right handed shooters forcing the gun. Apparently lefties suffer it as well but low and right although i dont have the same problem shooting offhand but thats perhaps because i only shoot unsupported offhand??? Regardless, You can train this out with blankfire/snapcap drills in my experience.
Not saying you're wrong in the training approach simply that this has always been my explanation and experience.
If you are right handed , and you shoot low and left , you are most likely are pushing too much with your strong hand , or most likely not using enough weak hand pressure to offset the strong hand. Many treat the weak hand like it is just along for the ride, when it actually can do more to help reduce recoil and accurate sight alignment, especially on follow up shots.

Each situation is different of course.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Viewer warning i say a swear!!
This was unfortunately the last attempt of the day. I had several successful attempts prior to this but the cheap rough rider was starting to lock up having already seen a full 325 box through it. This was about halfway through the second box and the whole gun is sticky and gross but i wanted to record something since somebody asked to see targets the other day.
Im real happy to have this buscadero rig.

Again i say a swear word. My apologies, but fair warning. Yes both times. Im a potty mouth no good scoundrel.
https://youtube.com/shorts/1KzOKXVN0K8?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/IAN9X55a6Yg?feature=share

I am not a competitive shooter. Im just a poor kid doing his best to get better one session at a time.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Nice videos. Might want to practice turning before you clear leather so's you don't sweep your cameraman with a loaded revolver, though.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Nice videos. Might want to practice turning before you clear leather so's you don't sweep your cameraman with a loaded revolver, though.
I knew that was going to be a comment. Hes way off to my right despite what the angle looks like. At no point was he withing even 30° of the front of me, and its specifically why im turning left, its so that im delivering the gun to my off hand to work the hammer, and being a single action it cant fire until ive locked the hammer back anyways which you can actually hear in the video doesnt happen until after im turned. I would NEVER attempt this move with a double action gun. This is specifically just something im working on with my single action and im only using a two handed method again to reduce any risk of getting that hammer back before im turned around. I hope this makes sense.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Well respectfully i disagree. Its equally "unsafe" to spin a loaded gun in fact more so as it was actually pointed at somebody (myself) at more than one point. Again though given consideration of how the firearm functions and the fact that I'm literally function checking it every time prior to starting the risk is effectively zero.
Also Again he was never flagged like you proposed but okay. Your contention has been noted.

Bob R

With arthritis in her hands my wife has issues trying to rack any semi so we went the most logical route for her. A cute little S&W 642-2 PC, 38+P should be more than adequate and something that won't be overly uncomfortable for her. She liked the weight of my Model 37 and the feel of the Ladysmith so here is the compromise.

20210814_150626[1].jpg

bob