• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Show off those Wheelguns

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I really need to stay out of gunshops.

Picked up this used Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP today on my way to Carson City for Skeet and Sporting Clays weekly leagues.
Interesting it doesn't use moonclips but has little nubs on the extractor star to hold the case. IMG_20220824_193952634.jpg IMG_20220824_193940472.jpg IMG_20220824_194250223.jpg

Coup d'etat

Permanently banned from most websites
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I didn't know Charter Arms was still in business.
I have an early Charter Arms in 22 Magnum, made in the late 70's.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter

Picked up this used Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP today on my way to Carson City for Skeet and Sporting Clays weekly leagues.
Interesting it doesn't use moonclips but has little nubs on the extractor star to hold the case.
I had the 9MM version... it didn't work with all brands of 9MM, including the major brands. The rounds would push past the plungers and into the chamber when struck by the firing pin. Hope your .45 works better, it's a cool idea!

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter

Interesting it doesn't use moonclips but has little nubs on the extractor star to hold the case. View attachment 145973 View attachment 145974 View attachment 145975

If you ever choose to part with that one, I'm your man.

I've been half-assedly looking for one ever since they came out. Never saw one in person though.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
What's the consensus on CA for a cheap snubby .38? Better than a Taurus?
Probably about the same. They’ve been around forever and they mostly work.

I’ve handled many, they are sharp edged and aren’t pretty. I’ve only fired one, that was band new but a few years old. It didn’t work about 20% of the time. Click but no bang.

For a few more dollars you can get a S&W 642 Airweight.

The last CA I had in 38 was a reliable gun. But I think there are better options for a SD gun.
I see this all the time a "few dollars more."
When comparing New to New S&W 642 Airweight is a few hundred dollars more than Charter Arms or Taurus 38 hammerless lightweight.
Maybe I'm just cheap or poor.
I don't consider $100-$200 to be just a few dollars more. Maybe $20-$30 but not a hundred or more dollars.
Unless you are comparing a used Smith & Wesson to new guns where the price difference may be $50.

Last edited:

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Even the used prices for 642/442's seem close to the new prices. I guess that is good if you are buying one and aren't sure if you will like it. You can get most of your money back.

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I see this all the time a "few dollars more."
When comparing New to New S&W 642 Airweight is a few hundred dollars more than Charter Arms or Taurus 38 hammerless lightweight.
Maybe I'm just cheap or poor.
I don't consider $100-$200 to be just a few dollars more. Maybe $20-$30 but not a hundred or more dollars.
Unless you are comparing a used Smith & Wesson to new guns where the price difference may be $50.
New S&W 642 can been found for around $400

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.