• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Show off those Wheelguns

DUG

NASWOGS
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
One damn at a time, though three of the hardest to get, (super hard cuz I was behind enemy lines in CA at the time) the ES, the Lew Horton and the John Ross all came up for sale within about two months. I kept pulling money from savings, promising the wife I would get it put back. Nearly two years went by and it was never mentioned. My dad passed away and each of his kids got a small inheritance. I got a letter from my brother outlining the estate expenses and disbursements, but there was no check. My wife had already electronically deposited it into savings to repay the money I had spent on those 500s.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I'd be shooting ICORE if it didn't conflict with the Vintage Military Semi-Auto Rifle match at DSRPC. But, I will probably not renew at their 50% higher fees (for more drama to go with it) when my membership expires at the end of the summer. And I will not pay their doubled guest fees to shoot matches. Which means I'll start shooting ICORE this fall instead. Do you know how hard it is to find a race holster for an 8" 686?

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I recently purchased a Korth Mongoose 357 with factory fitted 9 MM cylinder. First trip to the range I shot 50 rounds of 38 and special and 50 rounds of 115 grain 9MM great trigger.

Dream wheel gun right there. I've never shot one but have handled several. The trigger is insaaannnneeeeee. If I wasnt poor, I would carry a 3" mongoose no questions asked.

Jethro

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I recently purchased a Korth Mongoose 357 with factory fitted 9 MM cylinder. First trip to the range I shot 50 rounds of 38 and special and 50 rounds of 115 grain 9MM great trigger.
That’s beautiful, I’d love to see more pics.
Do you have to do a barrel swap when firing 9mm?

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Not mine obviously, but have you guys ever heard of these? Mateba?
I was a big fan of Ghost in the Shell as a teenager and remember this being a gun in the show but i found out yesterday its a real gun.
Weird double action single action type trigger, 6 0' clock barrel position, and the cylinder/frame is actually on a slide, ambi cylinder release. I guess they have FA capability as well.
This is nuts!

Screenshot_20210427-120543.png

Scott_KNLV

@the_500__guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Not mine obviously, but have you guys ever heard of these? Mateba?
I was a big fan of Ghost in the Shell as a teenager and remember this being a gun in the show but i found out yesterday its a real gun.
Weird double action single action type trigger, 6 0' clock barrel position, and the cylinder/frame is actually on a slide, ambi cylinder release. I guess they have FA capability as well.
This is nuts!

View attachment 92384
looks like a chiappa ripoff?

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Its a lot more going on than just looks. Im also fairly certain these were around first but im definitely not an expert here. These were first made in 1997 though. I remember being an adult the first time i saw a Rhino and recall them being fairly new. Maybe around 08 or 09 this was? Im not sure if they predate that though.
I think the Rhino may actually be a revised, and heavily simplified copy of the Mateba auto.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Not at all. Especially since the Mateba existed wayyyyyy before the Chiappa. About the only similarity is the barrel on the bottom cylinder, and some of the outward appearance, though the designer of the Mateba's DID help with the design of the Rhino.

Matebas were actually a "semi auto revolver" and have a pretty wild system of operating. Check out some videos on them. You can fire double action, then the gun cycles and is cocked ready for single action, then has a trigger reset like a semi auto in single action. Also have interchanvable barrels too like a Dan Wesson.

Also, they made them in .454 Casull...and apparently they will decide to become automatics... lol

"I once went to the range with a good friend. While he loves revolvers and beautiful things, he more frequently shoots a Glock (no, he’s not Pete) and he trains himself to double tap efficiently. It was his first time to see my Mateba Autorevolver and I handed it to him with a full cylinder of .454 Casull, 300 grs Winchester JFP. He took aim, squeezed the trigger and BOOM! a much louder report than I was used to. I saw him grimacing while he lowered the revolver, I quickly picked it up fearing a ka-boom. Everything was in its place, I lowered the hammer and opened the cylinder: 3 primers were struck. In disbelief, I ejected the cases finding 3 of them empty. He had accidentally bump fired a .454 revolver. A total of 900 grains shot at about 1625 fps is just 200 fps short of what .600 Nitro Express offers from a rifle barrel! Neither of us felt that more than one shot was fired, all happened in a fraction of second. My friend ended up with a cut on a knuckle of his left hand, caused by his finger hitting the cylinder opening lever under recoil. He chose not to fire the remaining rounds… "

Last edited: