• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

So this isn’t supposed to look like this….

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Was cleaning my Rock island for the first time (maybe 50 rounds through the gun) and saw something dark in the barrel.

3AAD7B45-31CA-4D53-A809-06F0F5633D23.jpeg 5CC30ED9-4391-4EB0-9173-D03C0A1FCA3E.jpeg

Well that ain’t right. Giant fissure just past the chamber. No mark on the outside Of the barrel and no damage to the rest of the gun. Some manufacturing flaw I assume?

Gun is a few years old but nearly unfired. Presently on its way back to pahrump…hopefully they are cool about it.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Crazy!

Must have been a porosity in the metal - and a few rounds through it stripped off enough metal to expose it?

never seen anything like that.
Or porosity/weakness or a small fracture in the metal than got yanked out when they machined them rifling perhaps? Who knows. I don’t think it happened from firing but you’d think they would have caught something like that

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I've got a Rock Island 10mm that I have been very happy with - heavy weight and heavy duty feeling pistol, that just plain works - and a LOT of pistol for the money - but I guess Rock Island isn't really known for being a top quality firearms maker.

Maybe I should go check my barrel......
They artent top quality but they are generally accepted as being totally fine.

I'm not saying this reflects on the brand's quality, (poop) happens with any manfuacturer, it just happens more often when budget constraints and volume come into play. I'm sure they'll fix it and it'll be good to go.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I think of RIA like i think of Taurus or Rossi. They produce models that have been around for a long time and tweak them here or there to have their own kind of flair. This makes for some interesting firearms at budget prices but also can lead to manufacturer defects and a less polished final product.
They make a good gun for the money and try to innovate old designs.
This is likely just a hiccup in that pipeline.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I think of RIA like i think of Taurus or Rossi. They produce models that have been around for a long time and tweak them here or there to have their own kind of flair. This makes for some interesting firearms at budget prices but also can lead to manufacturer defects and a less polished final product.
They make a good gun for the money and try to innovate old designs.
This is likely just a hiccup in that pipeline.

I feel they are likely the "best" budget 1911 producer. I'd take an RIA over those TISAS and ATI turkish things, even though they often cost more.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I feel they are likely the "best" budget 1911 producer. I'd take an RIA over those TISAS and ATI turkish things, even though they often cost more.
Rossi and Taurus are not the bottom barrel either.
EAA, and CAI come to mind for less "reputable" companies that produce a similar shaped but inferior product for about the same price as Taurus or rossi.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Rossi and Taurus are not the bottom barrel either.
EAA, and CAI come to mind for less "reputable" companies that produce a similar shaped but inferior product for about the same price as Taurus or rossi.
I mean, I dunno. Taurus isn’t good. And any time you say so, people who own them write a big ole book about why they are good for the price etc.

BEE48253-B866-4303-AD80-A5FB21017DE9.jpeg

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I mean, I dunno. Taurus isn’t good. And any time you say so, people who own them write a big ole book about why they are good for the price etc.

View attachment 106384
I dont actually own a taurus but im not exactly opposed to it, and have had them in the past. I wouldnt consider them a good first gun, but for somebody familiar with a platform that can do a good inspection prior to purchase and clean/slick up the gun they work fine. Years ago I liked my pt92 with pearl grips. It actually shot well but i got offered a stupid amount of money for it from a stupid friend of a friend and decided to take the money.
YMMV

Good luck with your barrel either way Marn

Last edited:

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Marn, good luck with that barrel. Sorry to say that isn't too surprising to me.

I had a RIA Tactical that I had to send back twice as the front sight wouldn't stay attached. The third time they sent me a "new" pistol... with a barrel that looked like someone sent a drill bit down it after it was rifled. I finally replaced the barrel and sold it rather than pay to have it sent back again. Heaven knows what I'd have gotten. I wouldn't touch one for years... "once bitten" and so forth.

That being said, I picked up a GI model earlier in the year (mostly because it was offered at a price too low to pass up!) that hasn't given me any trouble... yet. Time will tell.

My wife's favorite revolver is a Taurus 85 in .38 Special. It's been stone reliable and as accurate as any other snubnosed .38. On the other hand, I've seen more than one of their 1911s shed its ejector. I had a PT92 that was a good pistol, only sold it because I picked up "the real thing", a Beretta 92A1 and didn't have room to keep them both. That, and the PT92 was way, way too shiny... it looked like a pimp gun. :)

Both makes are definitely on-again-off-again IMO. We'll see if the Taurus 94 .22 LR revolver I just picked up is "on" or "off".

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
The main issue plaguing a lot of gun companies is quality control. While Taurus might get a bad rap, I've personally seen a lot of quality control issues with mainstream brands. It seems like people are quick to call it an anomaly when a more esteemed brand releases a lemon unto the public, and quick to condemn Taurus when a lemon gets through.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
The main issue plaguing a lot of gun companies is quality control. While Taurus might get a bad rap, I've personally seen a lot of quality control issues with mainstream brands. It seems like people are quick to call it an anomaly when a more esteemed brand releases a lemon unto the public, and quick to condemn Taurus when a lemon gets through.
I agree with that , I have a S&W Perf Center 929 that should have way better fit & finish and better action than it does for the price. Many of the Perf Center S&W wheelguns are hugely hit & miss on what you are going to get. Seems quite a few 929 owners were less than impressed with the " smiles per dollar " .