• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

spare parts

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
O-rings if you use them on the ejector. Ejector springs or a full ejector kit. Spare bolt, cam pin, firing pin. Full set of springs and detents should cover you. Gas rings too. When your bolt gives out completely, it will be a broken lug. IIRC, that can come around 10k.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
At a minimum the wear parts:
  • Gas rings (in sets of 3) - get a couple sets
  • Firing pin
  • Extractor kit(s)
  • Ejector kit(s)
  • Bolt (usually would go go in the 'lasts longer' category, but sometimes you get a (poop)er that shears a lug early)
Wear parts that (usually) last longer (multi thousand rounds):
  • Carrier cam pin
  • Carrier (cam pin channel wears out of spec)
  • Barrel
  • Buffer spring (yes, they wear, and sometimes break...ask me how I know :) )
Fiddly bits:
  • Full spring and detent kit
But like MAC says, one is none, two is one, etc.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I took a few friends to Front Sight for a week in the Practical Rifle class. I supplied all their rifles, including a couple that I had milled and built from 80% lowers. One was built into a LH gun with the Stag LH kit. It included a LH upper but all the lower parts were still RH. They are a pretty cheap outfit, apparently, which will be emphasized later. Anyway, I bought separately an ambi- safety and ambi- mag release. This was just to get a rookie through a 4-day, 100-yd practical class, so I just built it with the Stag trigger parts.

On the first afternoon, the Stag trigger went down. Of course, the instructors assumed I screwed it up building it, which in their experience I'm sure is the case 96% of the time. But when I came back from the car with a new trigger in the gun in about 15 minutes, I think they were impressed.

The disconnect hook on the Stag trigger had broken off. In addition to a complete spare rifle in the car, I also had my complete AR parts box. I didn't really purposely buy spare parts (I default primarily to the backup gun principle) but I also organize and keep all the parts I've ever gotten.

Stag would not even reply to my emails to replace their failed part. I guess repeat customers is not a thing they need.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I think I pretty much have enough parts to build a entire pistol or carbine other than a lower receiver and barrel. Not sure how many A2 grips and trigger pins I have extra of.

ducker

Lock and Load
What about spare barrels? What are u guys using? There alot of new cheap nitride gov. profile barrels being sold today. Was wondering around what round count do cheap barrels start to keyhole?

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I carry a spare bcg. If I need a small part I can cannabalize or replace the entire bolt if needed.

At home I bought a bunch of roll pins and springs.