• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

This took almost 70 years!!

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
In 1949 Ruger introduced the MK1 22 pistol with the WORST, most complicated takedown mechanism possible. Hard to believe it took almost 70 years and 4 models to finally get it right with the MKIV. This is now the easiest takedown of ANY 22 on the market,in my opinion! BRAVO! This is one I will keep for awhile

20221111_072534.jpg

Rem222

RD2
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
My wife has a MK1. She has owned it over 40 years. I clean it the best I can but have never disassembled it, afraid to. It is still a reliable shooter to this day... Congrats on your MKIV .

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
My wife has a MK1. She has owned it over 40 years. I clean it the best I can but have never disassembled it, afraid to. It is still a reliable shooter to this day... Congrats on your MKIV .
Thanks. I have had at least 10 earlier models over the years. All were fun to shoot and reliable. I made the mistake of disassembling 1 time which was 1x too many.

Have owned a few of the earlier models over the years.

ALWAYS had to refer to the instruction manual when reassembling after cleaning - something about having to hold the pistol in a certain orientation at one step that always got me.

Had one of the early MK IV guns - taking apart and putting together WAS greatly simplified/improved - but the trigger on my gun was much heavier and coarser - I think I read that was a common issue with the new guns - hopefully it's been improved in the last couple of years.

RPilot

Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
I never owned the earlier MKs but my IV had the same issue with a heavy and gritty trigger. I should order a Volquartsen and get it off the shelf.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I used to get at least one customer a week coming in with a Standard, Mark 1, 2, or 3 Ruger that they couldn't get back together.
Instead of reassembling it in the back room and charging them for it, I taught them the trick, so that they could do it, got me a lot more business that way.

First, make sure the Hammer is in the down (fired) position.

Now, put the receiver (that's the tube with the bolt in it on the Ruger) onto the grip frame, look to make sure the bolt stop pin hole is in the right spot, lined up with the hole in the grip frame, this ensures that the receiver is all the way back on the grip frame where it belongs.
Start the bolt stop pin into the grip frame just a bit, then, holding the gun in your right hand (clamping the barrel receiver to the grip frame with that right hand) tilt the muzzle UP and to the right so that the grip frame is just about parallel to the floor, and the muzzle is pointed at about 1 o'clock, not quite straight up.

This position lets gravity do the rest for you, the hammer strut will drop down towards the floor and into the start of the recess it needs to seat into in the mainspring housing, so that it ends up pressing against the mainspring plunger.

Push the mainspring housing fully into the grip frame and seat the latch lever flush with the mainspring housing.

If you can now retract the bolt, it's done, the gun is properly reassembled.
If not, open the latch and try again, but once you see how it goes together like this, you can reassemble it time after time in about 15 to 30 seconds, and get it right every time.

If you are left-handed, just point the barrel at 11 o'clock but the rest of the instructions still apply.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Of course, if you all swear to PASS ALONG THE SECRET, then we can dispense with the executions. Tribal knowledge should be shared, otherwise it is lost when the originator of it dies.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
The hammer strut is the easy part, its beating the receiver onto the frame far enough for the pin to line up that's the b*#@h! :LOL:

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.