• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Thoughts on 1-8X LPVO optics - experience with PA PLXC-1-8x?

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Janizary back with another optics topic:

Looking for input on rugged 1-8X LPVOs, $2,000 and under.

I've currently got an VCOG 1-6x on my GooD 12.5 SBR and am quite enamored by it (well, other than the scope weighs more than the rifle...okay, not quite, but 'tank like' is an apt description, heh). I am currently running a Nikon M223 2-8X on my 18" 'SPR-type' build and that magnification range works out quite well for my 'shoot things way over there' needs, but I'd like to get down to 1x (or close to true 1x) so I've been looking at LPVOs again.

PA's new gen 1-8 PLXC line has caught my interest, both for the reticle and for the nice diet they put it on since the prior-gen PLX 1-8.

Others I've been looking at:
  • Nightforce NX8 1-8 - Ambivalent; I've looked through a friend's and both liked and disliked
  • Vudu 1-8×24 - Meh
  • Kahles K18i 1-8x24i - just a tad out of my price range
  • Steiner M8Xi - Maybe - I'd love to look through one to get an 'eye on it' as it were - anyone got one? Impressions
  • Swarovski Z8i SR 1-8 - way outside of my budget
  • Nightforce ATACR 1-8 - way outside of my budget

Anyway, if someone has one of those--particularly in real world comparison to others--I'd love your input. I've read much and much more in various internet articles, but I always like actual user input.

Use case: 50Y-800Y, mostly 550Y and under. 64-75gr match ammo, bipod/prone mostly with some standing/kneeling/braced, bench on occasion.

Last edited:

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I'm running cheap Vortexes (Vortices?). I've got the 1-6x on a couple GP ARs, including a Blackout and a Grendel. I've got the 1-8x SOPMOD on my go-to "precision" .223 AR, and I've got their 1-4x on my National Match Service Rifle build. I'm happy with all of them, and the 8x reticle seems dead on for 650 yds of 223 trajectory with a 69gr match bullet.

Last edited:

42tula

uber Member
Ive had a small journey trying to pick out an optic for a 16” carbine. I first had the original PLX, then the Aurora ACSS ACOG, then the Vortex gen 3 razor 1-10. I sold all of that and went for an easy Aimpoint T2, with a 3x magnifier.

All of that left a little to be desired in each category. I currently have the PLXc 1-8 with the griffin reticle. I don’t think this one is going anywhere. I’ve not used the other optics that you’ve listed.

I sold the razor because of the tighter eye box at max mag, and I stayed away from the nightforce for the same reason. Using the PLXc a few weeks ago at BRPC I could easily spot all targets, it has a wide field of view on 1x (and it does appear to be a true 1x). The glass is very clear. There was little to no CA on max mag. The illuminated reticle does leave a little to be desired as it is not true “red dot” bright, however the stadia lines pull you in for an easy acquisition.

The weight difference from the PLX to PLXc is incredible. Turrets are very tactile, but the chevron reticle is a challenge to get a “great” zero on it, but I’m going back out to the range tomorrow to get it dialed in.

That being said, 55 grain reloads we’re getting hits to 500 at BRPC the day before it closed for shot show. Four days ago, I was hitting out to 700 with 75 grain Hornady HPBT at DSPRC without dialing up.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
...but the chevron reticle is a challenge to get a “great” zero on it, but I’m going back out to the range tomorrow to get it dialed in.
That is one of my hesitancies: The Chevron and getting a good zero.

I've worked with ACOG chevrons and two ACSS reticles with the Chevron in the past and never felt really great getting what I would consider a dead on zero.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
There's "zero" and there's "dead on" precision. They are not the same thing.

The chevron is a reticle for speed, not like crosshairs for precision. But it can still be zeroed. The zero will just be putting the center of a more crude group at the distance you want it.

42tula

uber Member
So tomorrow I’m going to try my hand at getting the “good zero”. I’ve thought about it, and I got a roll of 1 inch diameter red stickers. Each one will go in its own sheet of printer paper. Im just going to do a six o’clock hold at the bottom of the sticker at 100. When I’m all in the circle we’ll call it good. That should do nicely.

Yes, the PLXc is that clear that I won’t have a difficult time making that out.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
So tomorrow I’m going to try my hand at getting the “good zero”. I’ve thought about it, and I got a roll of 1 inch diameter red stickers. Each one will go in its own sheet of printer paper. Im just going to do a six o’clock hold at the bottom of the sticker at 100. When I’m all in the circle we’ll call it good. .
Be interested to know your input after you've gotten out to the range for this sticker sighting.

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I have a Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle and it works just fine. I use a 25m zero for mine, works great out to 200m

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.