• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Transmission slipping

We have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. It has an automatic transmission and it is starting to slip between 2 and 3 gear. The fluid is full. I am hoping that is just an adjustment and not a total rebuild. Is there any shop around the Dayton area that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Not really sure. We bought it not too long ago. The person we bought it from did take care of it fairly well, oil and what not. But I am not sure if the trans was serviced properly or when.

It is just some thing that I noticed the last week or so.

I did give it a good tune up (plugs, rotor, cap, wires, air cleaner) recently and the TPS was going bad on it and replaced that.

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The mileage is 125000.
Sounds about right to start having tranny issues in a 1997. The 1999 Jeep trannies usually last past 200K miles, but not the 1997.

I recently junked my 97 Jeep. I still have my 1999.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Sounds about right to start having tranny issues in a 1997. The 1999 Jeep trannies usually last past 200K miles, but not the 1997.

I recently junked my 97 Jeep. I still have my 1999.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Thanks. Not what I really wanted to hear. Now I guess I just have to find someone to take it to and have them look it over.

terdog

Active member (5.56mm)
My '94 went 250K before it was totalled by my daughters ahole BF. I have a fondness for those Jeeps. Its very easy to do a filter & fluid on those, And as I recall, they don't use the expensive +4 fluid. And you don't need to buy the Mopar stuff either.
Good luck.