• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Wet tumble results

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I gave up on the pins a few years ago. Wash em(citric acid & dawn) and go. Blingy brass makes for great pictures, zero affect down range. The real advantage of wet tumbling is the lack of dry media dust gumming up the press.

Last edited:
I’ve never tried tumbling without the pins ...gonna have to try it I know it would be way more convenient not having to deal with separating them .

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I don't always wet tumble, but when I do, I use pins that are about 50% larger than the ones that came with my Franklin Armory Rotary Tumbler (F.A.R.T.) Makes the pins MUCH easier to separate. I also put a circular magnet around the drain in the garage sink, to catch any strays.

I've got a rotary media separator, that works great on crushed walnut or the larger steal pins.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I always think I've got all the pins out with the rotary separator, but I still find a few floating in the case feeder. I wonder how many have gone downrange? I've done many batches without pins, also, and agree that the brass is clean, enough. But I still throw a half-load of pins in anyway.

This doesn't count the times I come home from the range with brass that looks clean enough to just get thrown right back into the casefeeder as-is.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I...Think.... the larger pins help, they weigh enough to fall out and not stick to the brass..... I think.....

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I’ve never tried tumbling without the pins ...gonna have to try it I know it would be way more convenient not having to deal with separating them .
I highly recommend it. The brass peens itself on the exterior for a satisfactory shine, case interior and primer pockets are 85-90% cleaned. IMHO the trouble of separating pins does not justify the slight difference in carbon removal.

Last edited:

vortex0178

Pew Pew Grand Master
I'm thinking of making the change to wet tumbling, and if I don't really need pins I might as well get the smaller FA rotary tumbler. Any of you use that one? Is it worth it to upgrade to the larger one?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Wet tumble, run through pin separator, pat with paper towel and let air dry. Been doing it for 10 years and maybe found 1 or 2 pins ever. My presses stay clean, operate smoothly and I use less case lube. Better than factory loads.

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I run all my brass thru a universal de-primer, then into my tumbler with Dawn soap and a little bit of Lemmi shine for 4 hours. Both inside and outside including the primer pocket come out very clean. Dump out most of the gray water and them pull the brass out and put it in a different bucket of hot water. Then pull the clean brass out and lay it on a large towel to dry. Then put it in plastic bags in batches of 100.
I also never mix my brass caliber wise as they will sometimes be stuck together and not get clean.