• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What shoes you got?

echo1er

Active member (5.56mm)
So been looking around for some off road tires. From MT to AT. Everyone is saying KO2s, I seen seven toyo open country, then cheap route is falken wild peak AT 3 but I'm watch this youtuber Matt's tow and recovery. He is running pantigoa.

Right now I'm running the wrangler good years on my ram 1500. Got a flat during hunting season.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
So far I’ve only ever used some off brand Big O tire, BFG KO’s, General Grabber AT2’s, and most recently KO2’s. And KO2’s are flat out the winners as far as AT’s go in my book. Gobs of traction in snow, that triple peak rating they designed them for is no joke.

Lot of people are pretty happy with the Patagonia tires too. I’m mixed between them and a new set of KO2’s come spring.

majorbison

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Patagonia's are a good tire for the price - most dudes I know who run them are running 37's though.

majorbison

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Also I see a lot of oem tires moving through my Jeep clubs so if you have an idea of what you want, might be able to score some take off's for cheap. I've seen 5 285 wildpeak m/t's go for a few hundred dollars.

09busaman

Member (9mm)
Big fan of the KO2's, ran them on both of my previous super dutys, currently running a pro comp extreme at the moment. So far so good on the pro comps.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Hankooks and now Nitto MTs have been nice..like the Hankooks better on road. My truck ate the Raptor specific BFGs like candy and in the mud and snow..meh. Like a tractor in the slop, now.

Not so Chapped

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I ran KO2's on my Tacoma for 7 years and they were a great off road tire but obviously a little rough on the road. 2 years ago I made the switch to Falkens and while the are much smoother on the road, they suck off road in mud or snow. Can't wait till they wear out so I can go back to the KO's.

SeegarSmoker

Wheelgunner
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I went from the original KMs to KO2s on my Jeep and I'm really happy with them. The ATs are better riding and handling on the street than the old MTs and perform well off road. The KO2 is a great choice.

So at what tire size do I change my gear ratio
That all depends on how big you go. With a Ram 1500, 33 should be fine, 35's may be close, you just have to judge the power loss due to the tires, if you can live with the reduced mileage, etc. Does it tow, give us a little something to work with.

majorbison

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
just remember when you go up in side you're going faster than your speedo says. Got me a few tickets while I was in college, doing what I thought was 30 in a 25 but was actually a bit higher. 35's on a truck that was originally equipped and calibrated for 245's.

echo1er

Active member (5.56mm)
That all depends on how big you go. With a Ram 1500, 33 should be fine, 35's may be close, you just have to judge the power loss due to the tires, if you can live with the reduced mileage, etc. Does it tow, give us a little something to work with.
2019 Ram big horn. Everything is OEM. No towing it's going to be my hunting truck.

SeegarSmoker

Wheelgunner
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
So at what tire size do I change my gear ratio
Well, I went from a 32" to a 34" and it didn't affect my power that I could tell, but I have 3.73 gears. It did mess a little with the shift points, so I did reset them.

majorbison

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
35's on oem wheels would look good and the new trucks sit pretty high so probably minimal if any clearance issues. Pretty sure the dealership and also 4 Wheel parts can calibrate your speedo if you don't want to buy the tool.

I went from stock to 35's on oem wheels, the tech said he loved the new dodges and fords due the amount of room in the wheel well. Since it is your hunting truck, may not be a big deal with a little power loss. Is your tires size a 275/70? If so, that is 33.2 inches, a 35 will gain you 1.8 inches overall in diameter.