• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What should I get for 1st AK?

Hello all! I have 2 ARs and am interested in buying an AK platform rifle.

What would be the best introductory AK?

My budget would be around 1000-1500.

USNGoat

Just another dude...
Yup, M70 is your best bet.

Be aware it's Yugo pattern, so finding aftermarket stuff will be a bit more difficult. They tend to be gtg out of the box though.

PSA makes AKM pattern rifles, but they've had some QC issues popping up again. Up to you if you want to gamble on whether you get a good one or not.

Don't get a VSKA or "Polish" Hellpup, they're pretty much uniformly poor guns.

utilitymoose

Obsessed Member
I just copied my reply from the other week and edited it slightly...

pretty much anything imported is fine, I'd stay away from PSA, vska or pretty much anything American made since they tend to blow up a couple thousand rounds in. Also century imports are good to go, century manufactured have a 50/50 chance of running right. Best bet cost wise would be to sign up for Atlantic firearms email notifications and hop on it soon as you can, they get a few good starter rifles a week(wbp poland, zpap, random romanian parts kits builds, etc) in but sell out within about an hour probably less tbh.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I have a Riley Defense 10.5" pistol.
Like it much better than my WASR

jeff

uber Member
Out of curiosity what's a Arsenal SGL-21 & SGL-31 both going for on the used market? 31 has 1k rds through it and 21 has about the same

Jethro

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Out of curiosity what's a Arsenal SGL-21 & SGL-31 both going for on the used market? 31 has 1k rds through it and 21 has about the same
Not sure on those models, but I just sold a basic Arsenal SLR-107R with approx 300 rounds fired for $1,500 (I paid $975) didn't even have it listed, someone just offered to buy it.
Crazy times.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Sold a SGL 21-61 back in late February'ish for mid 2K on Swamplist. Bombed with contacts. Crazy.

Miles808

Not the best, but not the worst
I just copied my reply from the other week and edited it slightly...

pretty much anything imported is fine, I'd stay away from PSA, vska or pretty much anything American made since they tend to blow up a couple thousand rounds in. Also century imports are good to go, century manufactured have a 50/50 chance of running right. Best bet cost wise would be to sign up for Atlantic firearms email notifications and hop on it soon as you can, they get a few good starter rifles a week(wbp poland, zpap, random romanian parts kits builds, etc) in but sell out within about an hour probably less tbh.
Best answer right here. Go with an import if you can find one. Wasr being the best introductory rifle. Parts can be found and interchangeable with other AKM pattern rifles. American made rifles may have different tolerances and parts made specifically for the rifle.

utilitymoose

Obsessed Member
These guys don’t know AKs
This guy dose.
A quick google search will show why any person who values their face wouldn't trust a psa, please don't steer people towards something that tends to blow up fairly regularly to save them $200... and dont get me started on robski 😂😂

vegasdom

Pest Control Operator
A quick google search will show why any person who values their face wouldn't trust a psa, please don't steer people towards something that tends to blow up fairly regularly to save them $200... and dont get me started on robski 😂😂
Thats BS. Where is your proof?