• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Where to ride dirt bikes for beginners?

bigblue37

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Hello all. This is probably not the right area to ask the question, but I couldn’t really find anything on the subject. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to take a beginner dirt bike rider close to LV? The boy is 9 and rides a CRF 110, but is still learning the basics.

We have been to the dry lake bed at Exit 63 on I-15, and the Apex, but both are a little sketchy. The Apex is busy and very rocky, and the dry lake bed near the solar field is full of nails from pallet fires and people constantly go out there and start shooting in your direction (I understand it’s public, I’m not complaining).

I saw another dry lake bed near 7 Magic Mountains, but was hoping for something with some easy trails and maybe smaller terrain changes.

Thanks in advance.

Poor Shooter

I 3AT A55
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Mountains edge cactus and rainbow or pm me there’s a wash here if you have a truck. The background is the wash

Last edited:

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
There is a large ATV area at the edge of Boulder City, right outside the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club.
Lots of mild terrain types, usually only a few people there.

Take Utah St to Canyon Point Rd, turn right. Go down as far as you want, pull your rig over at a spot you like, and unload.

Ryderczar

As met45 said .. The spot outside boulder. "Eldorado lake bed" is where i grew up riding. I take my kids there now. It is getting turnes into a solar field though. Lots less room then use to be. Theres behind lance burtons. "Old house "but still my land marker. But there bigger jumps back there and bit ruffer rocks . but thats every where around here not tire friendly lol lake bed is nice on tires. Oh east side off hollywood. Is pretty nice but trashy. Keep riding further back it gets nice. Theres alil kid track at both spots.
Bless All Fellow Humans

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter
My son learned to ride out in the lake bed by the 7 Magic Mountains ("Jean Dry Lake Bed"). There are a couple of small hills in the lake bed itself - great for true beginners; there are miles and miles of trails on the outskirts of the lake bed and into the hills to the south and east. Multiple off-road races run through that area, so there are plenty of whoops and rough sections when your son is ready for that. If you take Ranch Road in about a mile past the end of the pavement, there are a couple of small tracks carved out on the north side (35.755761577576244, -115.25040643343152).

Most of the shooters tend to stay north of the lake bed along the Southern Nevada Lightweight road and up over the hill after it turns to dirt, and south of the hill / near the railroad track just north of the town of Jean.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
There's a residential street in Pahrump that's pretty cool about it.

2GoneDE

Zookeeper
Forum Supporter
The south end of the dry lake bed near Boulder City has a small dirt track (you can find it on Google maps). The area around there has everything a desert rider needs to know. Sand, deep sand, mixed sand, rocks, whoops, cactus, hills, washes...it depends in how far out you want a solo 9 year old to go. (Walkie talkie range?).

Last edited:

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The south end of the dry lake bed near Boulder City has a small dirt track (you can find it on Google maps). The area around there has everything a desert rider needs to know. Sand, deep sand, mixed sand, rocks, whoops, cactus, hills, washes...it depends in how far out you want a solo 9 year old to go. (Walkie talkie range?).
You forgot, a sh!t ton of solar panels...