• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

$65 warlord radio

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
If you have any level of Amateur radio license, you can build this data tranceiver for $65 bux and send text messages globally.
They have multiple band options to fit every license class and need.

This is the 5 high band version. Took about 2.5 hours to put together, but more skilled people could likely do it in much less.

Had it on the air this morning(0845) for about 25 minutes and it was world wide.

I made a matching K6ARK style EFHW antenna but the radiating element is only 10m long. This allows me to use multiple bands available from the QDX in a very small, literally pocket sized package.

I will try to run it on my android phone next and see if I can make that work. Then I would even need to computer to send messages globally over RF.

I will say it was the easiest WSJT-X setup ever. The soundcard for the audio config are already named "QDX"! Just configure your COM port and go! Just absolutely mental!

Since I 3D printed the case and ordered in kit form I was able to spend only 65 bux on this transceiver.
20230410_095949.jpg Screenshot_20230410-100252_Brave.jpg 20230409_213926.jpg 20230407_202727.jpg

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
I downloaded the apk FT8CN. It's basically a version of WSJT-X that combines rig control, and grid tracker.

What TF does that mean?

Basically, I can run this small radio from my phone. With this I can send digital text messages all over the world.
Visualize the bandwidth and what callsigns are transmitting within it. Who is hearing my signal and whose signal I am hearing.

All with a package I can hold in my hand.
20230410_234022.jpg

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
That's cool (poop)!

I'm just happy and accomplished to get my hot spot configured with Pistar to communicate with DMR stations using the damn Cotre! 😂

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
That's cool (poop)!

I'm just happy and accomplished to get my hot spot configured with Pistar to communicate with DMR stations using the damn Cotre! 😂
That's actually a great accomplishment. I think once more poeple start to actually do this comm stuff, they will see how simple and useful it is.

This QDX radio has really impressed me so far because of how simple it is. The setup for this app however was almost completely automatic. The QDX device is on a drop down menu of supported radios, select it and set your callsign and grid. As soon as the rig is plugged in, the device pops up asking if you wish to use it with the app. Too easy.
Screenshot_20230410-215305_FT8CN.jpg

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
This is way over most of our heads, but I'm intrigued!
It's actually not above your head, just like anything, there is a lingo associated with all of this stuff and it sounds confusing at first.

If you get into night vision and jump into a forum for example, they are speaking a total different language. But after you read for a while, it all starts to make sense.

Gunhand

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Once I get my license, I'll have to hit you up for some "how to" instructions to build this. It will be a great addition to the comms plan I'm putting together for the ranch.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If you have any level of Amateur radio license, you can build this data tranceiver for $65 bux and send text messages globally.
They have multiple band options to fit every license class and need.

This is the 5 high band version. Took about 2.5 hours to put together, but more skilled people could likely do it in much less.

Had it on the air this morning(0845) for about 25 minutes and it was world wide.

I made a matching K6ARK style EFHW antenna but the radiating element is only 10m long. This allows me to use multiple bands available from the QDX in a very small, literally pocket sized package.

I will try to run it on my android phone next and see if I can make that work. Then I would even need to computer to send messages globally over RF.

I will say it was the easiest WSJT-X setup ever. The soundcard for the audio config are already named "QDX"! Just configure your COM port and go! Just absolutely mental!

Since I 3D printed the case and ordered in kit form I was able to spend only 65 bux on this transceiver.
View attachment 176232 View attachment 176233
Is this the QRP Labs QDX Transceiver?