• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Any interest in a Premium Membership that would allow photo attachments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you charge a fee to use the classifieds? Charge a couple dollars for classified adds after an item sells. That way the people who just come in here to sell stuff but not really part of anything else can also contribute. You also offer a premium membership you can use the classifieds at no cost. For all the other people who just contribute by posting in the forums can just do it for free. I think this would be a win win for everyone.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Great ideas!
We're kicking around an application/add on that might be able to fix the issue of high res photos sucking the bandwidth. Stay tuned and thank you for your support of the forum!

LASCHRIS

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
How about you charge a fee to use the classifieds? Charge a couple dollars for classified adds after an item sells. That way the people who just come in here to sell stuff but not really part of anything else can also contribute. You also offer a premium membership you can use the classifieds at no cost. For all the other people who just contribute by posting in the forums can just do it for free. I think this would be a win win for everyone.
Great idea. With the volume of traffic on the classifieds, it could be a money maker. One thing on the firearms trader. I am no lawyer, but it should be set up like guntrader. No way is the forum liable in anyway for a trade. With the LIBtards on the war path, I wouldn't put anything past them. Something for management to figure out.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
I think the forum has spent money to advertise "free classifieds" so would put off all those who saw that and tried to come here for that. How many people would pay money to sell a $2500 rifle, or $1000 pistol or $20 mag... Though a $1 "cert fee" might work, but will still put off many I thinks.
Simple 10, 20, 50 post minimum to see classifieds might also work, but also welcomes useless posts, kind of like the welcome area. Always great to see people with 5 posts welcome new members with 100 posts...

I started using tinypic.com. Free and easy to sign up and use.
Choose a file, upload it, then right-click to copy the link labeled, "Direct Link for Layouts."
Click on "Insert Image" box above and paste. Done.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
$20 for a premium account would be a good target in my book if the member traffic was there to support it.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
This. People ain't selling stuff NOT to make money. It's a cost of doing business. WWTSD? Charge a tax/tribute to those who are making money from the site. I contribute to the lively debates. I don't buy or sell anything. According to what I read in the rules I don't have to. If I am taxed for my time, I can take my good looks, and charm to another site. This ain't the only gun chat.
BTW, if question one comes back(god forbid)(buy and sale with ffl only) is the trading post going to to turn into an arts and crafts room?

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

IMO, our Trading Post is already not very busy, and that would simply serve to pretty much shut it down.

People already have the option of Armslist, which is free, and gets a LOT more traffic.

When I was buying some mags from a frequent seller here, Jakkee, he mentioned how much more of his stuff he sold quickly on Armslist than here.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
BTW, if question one comes back(god forbid)(buy and sale with ffl only) is the trading post going to to turn into an arts and crafts room?
I have a nice dinning room table and chairs along with china cabinet for sale here, great place to make your arts and crafts and nice cabinet to show them...

Ron_O

Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I'm guilty of posting massive photos in Dusty's photo thread. I'm sure I spurred this entire revolution. However I frankly thought the site was resizing my photos, just as so many others do, or that bandwidth simply wasn't an issue. Seems like an easy solution (auto resize). If I have to resize my pics I just won't post them. And if I have to use a third party server I won't post either, except if I want to sell something. And I'm extremely computer savvy. But I don't post from my phone. That seems like a total PITA.

I was going to quickly post something to another thread but the attachment option was gone so I didn't. I came here to figure out what happened.

Frankly, the 'do it like we've been doing for the last ten years' thing doesn't work for me. Why upgrade the site to begin with? Just leave it the way it was 'for the past ten years'. I thought the attachment option was one of the coolest upgrades about the entire site.

So you're saying $50 a month will cover it? One of the best upgrade features of the site? And the site can't spare that cash? Time to reformulate the business model or tweak the software a bit (auto resize or auto third party hosting).

A motorcycle forum that I belong to went to third party hosting after Photobucket started charging. Once we understood the issue we all began to post via third party sites. But now I haven't been over there for MONTHS.

A 1MB size limit? It's MUCH easier to third party host than it is to resize down to 1MB. All my cams take hi-def pics.

Rather than downgrade the site and inconvenience everyone, why not just ask for a 'photo hosting sponsor of the month'? You pay half, we pay half. I'll take the first month. $25? Say the word and it's on the way...

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Great ideas!
We're kicking around an application/add on that might be able to fix the issue of high res photos sucking the bandwidth. Stay tuned and thank you for your support of the forum!
I think people missed this post.
We are leaning more towards other options than an optional Premium membership to host your photos.
An update is the culprit isn't just attachments (of any size). The uptick in forum usage combined with the new forum software requirements seem to be factors as well.
Stay tuned. Hope to have a resolution after a couple of months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.