• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

GMRS Radio Recommendation.

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m considering adding GMRS radio to my Comms. Could you guys recommend both some of the better handheld and mobile radios that are out there with decent wattage and ease of use. Repeater capable of course.

Thanks Much,

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've been using a surplus Kenwood TK880H for a mobile, and another for base. The only drawback is you can't program them without a computer.
I forget if they are 40 or 45 watts. Solid radio, and pretty inexpensive.

I believe @NYECOGunsmith is using a surplus Vertex.

Last edited:

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I read through some of the other threads, I didn't recognize many names. I’ll take a look. Freaking Amazon has a bunch but I don’t trust the reviews.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I bought a Radioddity GM-30 off of Amazon a few days ago. It seemed to be the better reviewed ones in the lower price range. I am going to try and use it tonight to see how it does.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I was looking at that and the Midland 500 for a mobile.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The Midland looks cool, and has good specs. However, it does seem pricey for what you get especially when you can find a working surplus Kenwood or Vertex at a fraction of the cost.

I actually programmed my Kenwoods for my favorite GMRS and ham frequencies and repeaters.

Also, the dreaded Boafeng makes a UV5G which is a compliant UV5 hand held. With my base antenna, I can hit Potosi just fine. Not bad for a $25 radio and a $125 antenna ($50 coax in between)

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m happy with the gang of UV5R’s I have and the Yaesu’s. The UV5G looks to much like the 5R so I want to avoid that possible confusion in an emergency.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I bought a Radioddity GM-30 off of Amazon a few days ago. It seemed to be the better reviewed ones in the lower price range. I am going to try and use it tonight to see how it does.
Heard good things about these.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
After trying to get it set up to the repeater, I am sending it back and going with one of the big three. Buy once, well you know..

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
7/15 Update:

I got the Radioddity GM-30 in and tried to get it set up to hit the Potossi repeater (simplex, )from N Las Vegas. I was not very successful in the en-devour. In all my years of Ham radio, that ranked right up there on high on the frustration endex. Back to Amazon it went and I ordered a Btech GMRS-V2 (currently on sale for $49). I was able to set it to hit the repeater in about 2 minutes (it was preset for repeater, all I had to do was enter the Tx and Rx tones). I think I can kerchunk the repeater, but will do a radio test to confirm. This radio had a rocky launch a couple of months back, but I really like the additional features it has as well as the ease of set up. I will report back with results.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
OK that was way too easy. I was able to talk on the Potossi repeater from CCSC, even through the big power transmission line just to the South of the complex. This was on 5 w of power. I would really recommend this radio to someone looking to get one. Not only does it do well on GMRS, but it also can monitor the local FM stations, NoAA, UHF. It even has the little things like attaching the belt clip to the radio, not the battery. There are a couple of good YT videos out there on them.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Did you get the 15 inch whip gator?
I did not. I was using the little antenna that came with the box. However....I imagine that a longer whip would deffinately help clear up the TX and RX. Off to Amazon I go...
Thanks