• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Handheld Radio Recommendations

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Can you all suggest some good starter handheld two way units? I have a bunch of baofengs but would like to get something a little higher quality in the near future. Nothing crazy fancy but maybe in the $100 per unit range.

Portability is key.

If the non-base-tier baofengs are actually a good unit I’ll definitely entertain that option, but what would you all suggest for a family of several to use as handheld two ways?

I’m working towards getting my HAM license and am just trying to plan ahead.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have 2 new Yaesu FT4XR I'd sell ya.
Dual band and NYECOGunsmith approved!
They are nicer than the Baofengs but I'd rather beat up/lose a $20 Baofeng. That and I have the programming cables and accessories for the Baofengs....

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I would suggest finding out what local resources, such as repeaters, you have. Having said that, most gear from the big 3 ( Yeasu, Icom, Kenwood) is quality stuff. If I were you I'd consider the above post, but just an opinion..

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have 2 new Yaesu FT4XR I'd sell ya.
Dual band and NYECOGunsmith approved!
They are nicer than the Baofengs but I'd rather beat up/lose a $20 Baofeng. That and I have the programming cables and accessories for the Baofengs....
Gents, I think we now have proof da boss is shilling for the Chinese!
All kidding aside, if you are going somewhere rough enough to worry about banging up a handheld, do you really want to bet your safety on a cheap bao Feng, or an under $100 mil spec tough as nails Yaesu FT4, or Ft65, or a $150 Ft 60 or $180 Ft70 with digital and analog FM capabilities.

jlv10

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m a fan of used Motorola gear. More of a learning curve but durable and high quality. If you plan on using repeaters in Vegas, there are a lot on UHF.

garand_guy

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Just take like 4 Baofengs, just in case. Or 5.

Doesn't the Yaesu need proprietary programming software, and not CHIRP, though?

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just take like 4 Baofengs, just in case. Or 5.

Doesn't the Yaesu need proprietary programming software, and not CHIRP, though?
No, no Yaesu I am aware of, and I have about a dozen, spread over 9 different models of HT, Dual band and HF rigs, uses any proprietary software.
Commercial duty Motorola radios do, as do commercial duty Vertex Standard (parent company of Yaesu) but those are designed to keep LEOs, firefighters, etc. from messing with the programming.
All the HAM radios commonly found, Alinco, Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu can all be programmed manually or with RTS or Chirp.

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
As Gator Jim said... the top three in radios is Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu.
Yaesu is probably the best bang for the buck, though I have not verified that.
I own four different Yaesu radios and I highly recommend them.

IMO, this would be the radio for you! It sells for $89.95
YAESU FT-4XR -- Dual Band 5W VHF/UHF FM Ultimate Compact

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-4xr-dual-band-transceiver.html?msclkid=cac73e396bab19567ee15c79e60c949c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*Shopping - JF&utm_term=4581390075133543&utm_content=Yaesu

You may want to get RT Systems programming software/cable to make life easier (though there IS a learning curve).
The package is $50. Not sure if the 4XV package will absolutely work with the 4XR. Contact Customer support to be sure.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/YPS-4X...d-USB-55-cable-for-FT-4X-and-FT-4V_p_724.html

You can use RepeaterBook to farm your frequencies. And it's FREE.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/en-us/

Last edited:

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
It depends on what your goals are. If you want simple comms, Baofengs are great despite what the sad hams will say.

If you want crossbanding Wouxun KGuv9 series are great. If you want digital for added privacy and better propagation, then C4FM Yaesu is probably the best, although I have had issues with low audio reports on ALL of my Yaesu radios. Whatever you do, don't get an Anytone radio. If you want to know why, DM me.

If you want GPS and APRS, Yaesu is hard to beat and their FT2/3/5/D radios have really wide receive to include 27MHz AM.

Icom has always been reliable for me and simple to operate although I am not a fan of Dstar. I have not had many Kenwoods, but they are also bulletproof.

If you know what you are doing, Motorola and EJ Johnson radios are cheaply available and offer P25 and digital trunking etc etc, but the software is tricky and you can brick your radio of you don't know what you are doing. Some Motorolas even have AES256 bit encryption, but it is illegal to use if you don't have the proper license/credentials(which is utter bulls!t)

The Yaesu FT4x and FT65 are essentially Baofengs with better filtering. They use the same chipset. They are good, but Instead of one of those, why not buy 3 baofengs instead?
radio.jpg