• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I guess I'm "All In" with GMRS

Gunhand

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It started with the 45 watt Rugged Radio install in my Polaris General. Then I went with a Midland MXT575 for my truck. And now I went with the Midland MXPW500 Ammo Can Base Station with a Midland MXT500 for the ranch.

And of course I'm studying for my HAM radio license. The Struggle is Real I tell you!!!

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just starting. Got my FCC license and a small Baofeng. Any suggestions?
I recently renewed my license first gotten back in 1977, just picked up a BTech UV-50x2, second generation. I also have several Baofeng UV-82HP. I’ve skipped the 45 years of amateur radio most people my age have, just discovering it all. My first radio had tubes, and I was using Morse code. My challenge today is figuring out how to use this, in my case as back up communications when out offloading, etc. I got my GMRS license, my amateur General license and will take the Extra license test next month.

Cirdan

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Suggestions for what exactly?
Any open use, like CBs used to be, or strictly for internal comms with family and/or coworkers?

Planning on doing the AlCan next summer and heard the truckers use this instead of CB. Probably due to range.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
GMRS channels are open to everyone with a GMRS license. Some even overlap with FRS.

If you're needing something pseudo-private where you guys wouldn't hear anyone but eachother, program in a CTCSS or DCS tone/code on Tx and Rx. Others who are monitoring without it will still hear you, but you won't hear them unless they have the same code programmed in their radio.

The Associate

Lurker (.22LR)
It started with the 45 watt Rugged Radio install in my Polaris General. Then I went with a Midland MXT575 for my truck. And now I went with the Midland MXPW500 Ammo Can Base Station with a Midland MXT500 for the ranch.

And of course I'm studying for my HAM radio license. The Struggle is Real I tell you!!!

When will you be taking your exam? Just curious on what study guide you chose. I am going to begin studying as well

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
PM sent to The Associate

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
These are also great sites for study as well: https://hamexam.org/ and https://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/index.html

I'll be taking my Extra exam in a couple of weeks and relying on these site for exam practice. Used them both for the Technician and General, which I took same day a couple months ago. Study from the first, take the exams at the second site.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
QRZ.COM also has all three classes of practice exam, free.
You have to register, but it is free.

And I can supply all three classes of study questions, redacted to just the question and correct answer, no question pool numbers, no incorrect possible answers.

Saves a lot of paper if you print them out, and easier to study.

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I started with qrz.com then switched to hamstudy.org. It's free but I splurged and spent the $3 for the app so I could use my phone which made it much more accessible. I liked several of the features at hamstudy.org and highly recommend that one, but they are all very similar.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I used eham and qrz. Mostly qrz. It keeps track of the tests so you know what you got wrong, correct, how many of the questions in the pool that you've seen, etc

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just watched Geo do a video on YouTube of the newest baofeng GMRS radios, compatible with the older uv5r accessories

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Oh, now you've done it, watched Geo, and told everyone you did!
You're gonna swell that boy's head right up there!
I watch his videos too, but I never admit to it, at least not where he can see it!
He lives a couple of blocks from me, been friends for 20 years, but I still give him guff every chance I get. He's one of the most reliable members of the ARES/RACES amateur group that I head up over the hump here in Pahrump. Always there when you need him.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Internet fame, a wife, 3 cats, he hasn't got time to decide whether to chit or go blind as Pa used to say!