• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Motorcycle shipping

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Anybody every had a motorcycle shipped.

How was your Experience,
What company
The costs.

Looking to get one shipped from Central Florida to Northern Nevada

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
When do you need it done? My friend who lives in central Florida, and I, have personally shipped lots of motorcycles for ourselves and others, but we aren't traveling with the big trailers as much as we used to.

Last edited:

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
When do you need it done?
Not any time real soon. It's from my Brother In Laws house in Orange City.
It's a 99 Electra Glide Ultra.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
When I moved here, had one loaded on the moving truck with the rest of my stuff … standard movers, not a dedicated vehicle shipper. As I type this I am blanking on the name. It was included in the price of the overall move.

you could check residential movers. it was part of a shared load, iirc

its_me

Member (9mm)
When I moved here, had one loaded on the moving truck with the rest of my stuff … standard movers, not a dedicated vehicle shipper. As I type this I am blanking on the name. It was included in the price of the overall move.

you could check residential movers. it was part of a shared load, iirc
Did you crate or how did you protect it from everything else on the truck? I'm currently building a crate for mine preparing for a cross country move. I'll load it with the rest of my stuff in a POD moving container.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've never crated one for transport, but then I've never tried to cram a whole house around one in the trailer, either, even though there was a lot of other stuff in there, too. But we always had walking room between all the bikes. Most I've moved at one time was 5.

Just remember to strap it down for worst case conditions. Like doing 80 MPH on I-10 in Louisiana.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
No crate. Packing blankets were wrapped around the bike and those aluminum jack braces, and a strap or two. The rest of the house packed around it, as Mac notes, made a little cocoon for the bike. No issues. And actually, we did this on 2 moves… same bike. Worked well both times.

the movers did the loading of the bike. it was packed in crossways on the truck, not back.

side note, they wanted like $500 to pack my deer head. To build a crate. Didn’t pay that. Just put it on the passenger seat with a hat on it and started driving.

Did you crate or how did you protect it from everything else on the truck? I'm currently building a crate for mine preparing for a cross country move. I'll load it with the rest of my stuff in a POD moving container.

STS Hunter

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I helped a guy ship a bike by getting the corresponding crate from a dealer. Given the type bike and age that may not be feasible.

CORefugee

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Duck duck go is your online search friend. There are dedicated motorcycle shippers and insurance.

If you only modestly care about the bike, then be cheap on the transport. I made a big mistake moving my Road Glide Ultra from Denver to here trying to save money by using our movers. They claimed they had experience. The only true experience they had is dinging and scratching every single thing we owned, including the Harley.

If I ever had to ship a vehicle, I would use a dedicated shipper.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just remember to strap it down for worst case conditions. Like doing 80 MPH on I-10 in Louisiana.
Worst road I've ever driven on.
But hey, it's concrete slabs on top of piles across the swamp.
I've seen 70' poles driven straight in with one hit, then the second, and a third before it hit something harder in Louisiana.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
As a younger man, just about 30 years ago, the long distance rides were wearing. I mean, I left Philly in the front edge of a hurricane, missed all the rain and most of the wind. Got into canton Oh and caught an afternoon thunder head less than 5 minutes from the house. a couple days rest and onto Detroit.

coming back a few days later, just a nap in Ohio that time, no stay. everything was tight the last 2 hours the second day.

Fly out and ride it back

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
As a younger man, just about 30 years ago, the long distance rides were wearing. I mean, I left Philly in the front edge of a hurricane, missed all the rain and most of the wind. Got into canton Oh and caught an afternoon thunder head less than 5 minutes from the house. a couple days rest and onto Detroit.

coming back a few days later, just a nap in Ohio that time, no stay. everything was tight the last 2 hours the second day.
Yeah, not something most would do in two days.
I was driving through PA-OH through some good storms. Filling up with gas in PA and building 100 yards away was struck by lightning, shutting off power. Got to OH and rain was extremely heavy. Saw a biker pull off under an overpass. I swear he opened his visor and water poured out.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Got picked up today. Still don't know why he's selling it. He bought a newer Low Rider and didn't want two. Got a really good deal on it, after all he is my Brother In Law.
IMG_20230517_140119~2.jpg IMG_20230517_140134.jpg IMG_3208~2.jpg

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
I helped a guy ship a bike by getting the corresponding crate from a dealer. Given the type bike and age that may not be feasible.
A little side note from when I was in junior high and we moved from Subic Bay Philippines to San Pedro Ca.

My dad was in the Marines and wanted to ship his Yamaha 650 he had purchased in the PI to Long Beach.
The problem was the military only paid to ship one vehicle, the family station wagon. Apparently, He knew someone and got it shipped to the Long Beach Navy base.
When it arrived in Long Beach he got a call asking for GySgt R****. He said, "we need you to come down here".
His motorcycle was shipped in a crate marked "Missle Parts".....:LOL:

I don't know what transpired but he did get his motorcycle.