• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Smog test

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
My 75 CJ is of course exempt. I would like to have the emissions checked just to see how its doing. Naturally, I don‘t want it to go through DMV, so, where can I go to get this done. I‘ve tried a couple places only to be told they couldn’t do that

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Location would be helpful. I have a scanner that will do it.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Nevermind, scanner won’t do anything for a 75.

Since its exempt, why even bother? Do you suspect a problem with it?

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Takes a special kind of idiot to first think it would.
Read it too fast.

Don’t you have a carb to rebuild? You don’t have time to chit chat so zip it!

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Nevermind, scanner won’t do anything for a 75.

Since its exempt, why even bother? Do you suspect a problem with it?
Actually, it runs well enough. Maybe a tad rich. My mechanical abilities, while growing, are limited. I’m just curious where in emission land I am

Maxcarp

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2023 Supporter
What you would have to do,is go to a full service shop that does emissions tests and repairs,and ask to have the idle mixture set.The old shade tree method was to turn the mixture screws all the way in clockwise,and then back them out 2-2 1/2 turns while monitoring the idle speed.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
What you would have to do,is go to a full service shop that does emissions tests and repairs,and ask to have the idle mixture set.The old shade tree method was to turn the mixture screws all the way in clockwise,and then back them out 2-2 1/2 turns while monitoring the idle speed.
I used a vacuum gauge and adjusted them to max vacuum. Better than before, but i can still smell exhaust. It’s been awhile since i lived through the 70’s, so maybe its normal

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
From my understanding, literally nowhere can or will hook you up to a sniffer without DMV info being added. This is by design.

a mechanic friend of mine told me that if you get a failing emissions test, that vehicle cannot be registered without a PASSING emissions test for 6 months. I do not know if thats true. But it may be pertinent to your situation, based on when your registration is due.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We used to take ours to Imperial Auto, off of American Pacific. The old guys there would go with the car, over to the adjacent smog place, and dick with what they needed to dick with while the vehicle was on the sniffer.

That takes two sets of "cool" people to make happen though. Both your mechanic and your smog guy gotta be down with it.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Just curious. Why is your 75 Jeep exempt? Classic Plates?
I have classic plates but I haven't added the classic car insurance yet.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
“Classic Rod” plates

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Interesting. It had classic plates when I bought it, so I just figured it was age. Well, the old gift horse adage I guess 😃
You know to continue using classic plates you need to carry specific classic car insurance to renew registration.
My registration expired in Aug and I haven't bothered to change my insurance. I'll wait till my last premium expires then go with Hagerty.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
You know to continue using classic plates you need to carry specific classic car insurance to renew registration.
My registration expired in Aug and I haven't bothered to change my insurance. I'll wait till my last premium expires then go with Hagerty.
Yep, I have Hagerty as well