• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

To you pros

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
So it seems then that telling your customer that you broke a part and there will be no charge to repair. Is this a thing of a bygone era?
If you know what you are doing and things break in the course of service, those things weren’t serviceable.
Giving stuff and time away isn’t a good way to stay in business.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Push the pins out of the broken housing one at a time with the proper tool, push them into the new 39 cent housing with the proper tool, and in 3 minutes it's done right.
If someone broke something I took to them for a professional repair, and then they jury rigged it, instead of doing it right, they wouldn't get my business ever again, and I'd tell everyone why.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
If someone broke something I took to them for a professional repair, and then they jury rigged it, instead of doing it right, they wouldn't get my business ever again, and I'd tell everyone why.
Its crazy the number of times I’ve seen half-assed repairs. Sure some were done by Joe Blow Repairs & Fish N Chips but also have seen it come from ALL the big name places too.

Most people don’t even realize it happened til its too late.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Its crazy the number of times I’ve seen half-assed repairs. Sure some were done by Joe Blow Repairs & Fish N Chips but also have seen it come from ALL the big name places too.

Most people don’t even realize it happened til its too late.
I agree on the “ too late” part. The work was done a year ago

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
A few of the mechanic guys I follow on YouTube seem to indicate that doing a quick fix is normal, so I guess my thinking is not up to date

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I guess I’m of the “ I broke it, so I’ll fix it “ school of thought
Sure, me too….but I have been doing what I do long enough to tell whether I broke something or if it was waiting to be touched and break. If it’s the former I run out to the truck cussing and get the piece gratis, if the latter it goes on the invoice and labor adjusted. Just about everything I tool on is sun baked plastic nowadays…
I agree that a mechanic who calls himself that should have done one or the other and fixed it properly.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Sure, me too….but I have been doing what I do long enough to tell whether I broke something or if it was waiting to be touched and break. If it’s the former I run out to the truck cussing and get the piece gratis, if the latter it goes on the invoice and labor adjusted. Just about everything I tool on is sun baked plastic nowadays…
I agree that a mechanic who calls himself that should have done one or the other and fixed it properly.
I agree. I would have no problem paying a fair adjusted price especially for something that has lived under a hot hood for a decade

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I have been doing what I do long enough to tell whether I broke something or if it was waiting to be touched and break.
Agreed. There is a big difference between "I broke this" and "this broke when I touched it."

Plumbing is one big area for this. Modern production valves, especially gate valves and globe (stop) valves, are notorious for failing when they are finally used after years of inactivity. Valves should be regularly exercised, or they are guaranteed to fail when needed. These days, you should almost EXPECT to replace a shutoff valve when you replace your water heater or faucet. Feel lucky if you don't need to. If you want the most reliability, pay the little extra to get a ball valve.

Last edited:

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Agreed. There is a big difference between "I broke this" and "this broke when I touched it."
The problem is "this broke when I touched it" is used as an excuse far too much. All too often people do not take responsibility for their own actions and try to blame it on something else.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Plumbing is one big area for this. Modern production valves, especially gate valves and globe (stop) valves, are notorious for failing when they are finally used after years of inactivity. Valves should be regularly exercised, or they are guaranteed to fail when needed. You should almost EXPECT to replace a shutoff valve when you replace your water heater or faucet. Feel lucky if you don't need to. If you want the most reliability, pay the little extra to get a ball valve.
Anymore, I’m partial to plastic valves. It used to be that if you wanted quality for a job I would get brass but the so-called brass constructed valves commonly available are in fact some kind of brass appearing pot metal prone to erosion.
Somebody still makes quality brass valves/bibs I’m sure but Depot doesn’t have any.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The problem is "this broke when I touched it" is used as an excuse far too much. All too often people do not take responsibility for their own actions and try to blame it on something else.
I did rig that pump for Mac and the jury may still be out on that one but I didn’t break it…🧐

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I did rig that pump for Mac and the jury may still be out on that one but I didn’t break it…🧐
There is no question, we already know it was that idiots fault! You're in the clear.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I recall that the most recent broken pump was YOURS!