• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What do you guys do on the radios?

varminter22

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I've ran CB for years in trucks. Mainly for traffic, to pass the time and start Sh*t... no one really talk on the roads anymore for a variety of reasons....
I really lament the passing of CB. I know lots of amateur radio operators hate CB, but it has/had its place.

Would be nice if the simplex VHF/UHF calling freqs were used more on the roads but in my experience, they are NOT used. On a recent trip from northern NV to IA and MI, then return the southern route to AZ and then back to northern NV, I had zero QSOs via the VHF/UHF simple calling freqs. And I've never heard of any simplex freqs dedicated to over-the-road use (kinda like how CBs were used).

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Some places monitor the VHF and UHF simplex calling frequencies, several hams here in Pahrump do that, listening for travelers looking to talk.

The 6 and 10 meter bands in FM mode, see a lot more road traffic, as many truckers have gotten their licenses (Tech Class at a minimum) and now use these bands, as they offer greater range (legally) than CB, and greater audio clarity as well.

varminter22

Some places monitor the VHF and UHF simplex calling frequencies, several hams here in Pahrump do that, listening for travelers looking to talk.

The 6 and 10 meter bands in FM mode, see a lot more road traffic, as many truckers have gotten their licenses (Tech Class at a minimum) and now use these bands, as they offer greater range (legally) than CB, and greater audio clarity as well.
I've threatened to get a 10 meter transceiver. Might consider it again.

This is the first I've heard of it getting any use.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Why is it illegal, did it swim across the river and then walk over the border in the middle of the night?
If so, probably won't work.....otherwise, it's legal, how you use it might be illegal, I mean are you using it to traffic in illicit non GMO vegetables and to give orders to your henchmen in the vegetable smuggling ring with it?

Are you using it to provide intel to Ming the Merciless back on the planet Mongo to help him plan his invasion of this rock?

Don't tell me you are using it, gasp!!! to talk to people!! o_O:poop:

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Or are YOU the illegal part of that equation, no license!
We can fix that for ya.
Nope, no license, but l did convert it to run on CB bands .... Just a little overpowered

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
50 watts, or running a linear?

Gunhand

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have a small ranch in Amargosa Valley, it's the weekend place for now, but I will retire there in the not so distant future. I have a UTV that has a GMRS unit in it, and I'll soon have my base portable base station and mobiles in my two 4X4's. So communicating in the rural areas is much easier. Studying for my HAM license, and then I'll be going down that rabbit hole!!!

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Not "illegal".
The word is "undocumented"
Well it's been converted so technically it's illegally modified. But if course there's probably a bunch in the trucking community. Mine is a discontinued DX45HP.