• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Automotive noise and radios ?

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
This is geared more towards HAM and 10-11-12 Meter radios etc. That are wired directly to the battery.

I’m replacing a Cobra and going back in with a President Ronald. It does 10-12 meter but has been converted to do 11 also. when I installed the cobra, I ran a pretty decent line direct from the battery into the cab of the truck for power supply to the radio. The cobra picked up a lot of engine noise and alternator noise. I could hear the electrical noise when getting on and off the gas pedal kind of thing, especially if I turned the squelch down.

So I’ve been reading and some solutions are wrapping the line with aluminum foil, the other are these ferrite ? deals that come In a plastic sheath that snaps around the wire. I’m just wondering if it would be better to find a 10 or 20 amp tap from my fuse block, if there is one, and go that route. Or if I were to run the line into a block, bridge from that to a line with 2-3 spots so I could run a few other things too. I’ve read a little on those in-line noise suppressors but from what reviews I’ve seen they don’t seem to work and get pretty pricey.

So I’m looking for some advice and real time what you’ve done that’s worked to cancel out that pesky noise.

HELP !!! :)

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Always used noise suppressors in auto stereo installations and they did the trick. Always a quality one, though.
Thought for sure I saw a Kenwood suppressor around here somewhere..just looked and couldn't find it -((

Last edited:

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Do you remember any specifics Fogie ? I’ll do a search although it doesn’t matter right at the moment since my new Radio from SRC is totally fubar right out of the box :(.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yeah I used to install car stereos 20 years ago and alternator whine was always a problem. You will need to install a good high quality filter in your 12 volt line between the battery and the radio.

Coup

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Do you remember any specifics Fogie ? I’ll do a search although it doesn’t matter right at the moment since my new Radio from SRC is totally fubar right out of the box :(.
I remember that they weren't very expensive and that the better ones usually had a bracket for attaching to the firewall or whatever.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Scott_KNLV

@the_500__guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Back in the Day... We used Resistor Spark Plugs to kill some of the noise.. Like way way back.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Showing your age there Scott, that’s going back always for sure. I remember trying that back when….well Pat Benatar was all the hotness !

I‘m actually not sure what type of plugs are in my 3.0 except I know they are the ones to run.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I used to buy 12-volt filters from Radio Shack. It's all history now.....

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
We used Resistor Spark Plugs to kill some of the noise.. Like way way back.
Usually cars either have high resistance ignition wires OR resistor spark plugs with low resistance wires. Both serve the same purpose.

A decent noise blanker in the receiver will probably help the most.

-Don- Reno

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The alternator will make a jet engine whine come through the speakers that varies with engine RPM.
Spark plugs will make a popping noise that's also RPM variable.