• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Safe way to store gas outside of the house or the garage.

JujuNevada

Member (9mm)
Any tips for those peeps who have experience?
Store it around the house? In a shed outside? Or in the garage?
What cans to use?

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
i have kept gas in plastic approved containers in the garage. the wrapped in plastic bag, placed in a storage plastic tub for a few months. Don’t let sit too long. Maybe add a little ?stabil? Fuel stabilizer.

after a few months, use it. Don’t want it breaking down.

I only did 2x 1 gallon container (1 gallon cans I took for extra in hunting season, used them shortly After Season ended.)

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have used 5 gal plastic and metal jerry cans, 15 gal plastic gas caddys, and a 30 gal metal gas caddy with hand crank pump to store gas in the garage. The pump works to fill or empty the tank.

The latter has been the most convenient. Here is a link with info

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Parts-G...cphy=9030813&hvtargid=pla-1160748782869&psc=1

All have kept the gas stabile and safe for extended periods. Stabil is recommended. I make sure they are sealed tight and stored away from the water heater or any electrical battery chargers, etc, and in a ventilated area. I use magnetic labels and a whiteboard marker to mark the date, gas, and stabil ratio, and have a schedule to rotate the gas through the cars.

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I use VP racing cans heavy duty and has a vent. I have used many stabilizers over the years the best imho is pri-g but too hard to find so last two years been using seafoam. Both work great 6mo is when I dump in vehicle and refil but could re-stabilize every 6 months for up to 2 years. If you can get ethanol free stabilize 0nce a year.... Don't store in area with water heater or other open flame..STORE AT YOUR OWN RISK...

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Any tips for those peeps who have experience?
Store it around the house? In a shed outside? Or in the garage?
What cans to use?
Storing gas in an approved container is LESS dangerous than having a car or motorcycle in the garage or a shed with gasoline in the tank. And most of us do such with no worries.

Vehicles have many more ways to leak gasoline than an approved gasoline container. Houses have gone up in flames because of such. Gas leaks from an extremal fuel pump, leaky fuel line, etc. or whatever. And then the fumes get to the furnace or water heater, etc.

Less likely to happen with gasoline stored in an approved container.

-Don- Reno

JujuNevada

Member (9mm)
Wow.
Thank you much to all.
A lot of learning for me.
I'm thinking 3 cans of 20li. (15 gallons) would be my stock for now.
Well kept and stored away from heat areas.

NV2A

I was considering getting two plastic containers (2.5-3 gallons each) and locking them onto my roof rack on my SUV, for emergencies, shtf situations, extend off road driving, etc. I store my vehicle in the garage but is there issue of the heat in the Nevada, especially during the summer months, when outside for many hours at a time?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I was considering getting two plastic containers (2.5-3 gallons each) and locking them onto my roof rack on my SUV, for emergencies, shtf situations, extend off road driving, etc. I store my vehicle in the garage but is there issue of the heat in the Nevada, especially during the summer months, when outside for many hours at a time?
gas on the roof of a vehicle is a no-no, especially when off road

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Why? I have notice NUMEROUS setups for roof racks. I have seen numerous 4x4s with them on the roof.

I am new at all of this
If a can fails by vibration or a tree limb etc., the roof is a very bad place for it to happen. The rear carriers are best but still be super-cautious if the trail gets tight

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have kept my metal 5g jerry can locked in it’s rack on the rear of my rig for months in the desert heat with no issues. At night the temp and pressure change will cause the can to make a pop sound which can set off the alarm shock alert, but there is no safety issue. Occasionally releasing the pressure helps avoid this.

Aswild

Yea the cans swell from heat and u have to burp them or they will burst. The plastic ones that is like rotopax. I have one on the back of my rig