WTB WTB 20g youth shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location (City)
Las Vegas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’m looking for a 20g shotgun for my GF who is going to go on her first bird hunt this year. Brand doesn’t matter all that much but she’s tiny. I have a model 12 in 12ga that’s in really good shape to trade or can buy outright. Looking to spend around $400, don’t really need anything fancy. Thanks guys. Also in Las Vegas

WantaG18

a noid
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
214   0   0
The Walmart at Trop and Ft Apache had 2 Remington 20 gauges a couple of days ago.

doz

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Be careful. Some 20ga kick more than 12ga.

That said, unless she is super small, a normal shotgun might be better. By the time my son was 5' tall (was only 95lbs wet at the time too), the youth gun was too small. Went to a 12ga, it kicked less, and fit better.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Agree to take a second look and research the 12-ga. Also remember that an autoloader soaks up a bit of recoil to operate the action, even when all you use it for is singles, like in trap.

There is a MUCH greater variety of ammo for the 12, including very light target loads.

But the size/weight of the gun may greatly matter. While a buttstock can be cut and a nice pad installed at any length of pull, the distance to a pump action's foregrip may be an issue. A lot of current models have a longer one that comes closer to the action, so pay attention to that if needed.

And as a general safety reminder for the benefit of anyone that reads the thread, always remember to keep 12- and 20-ga shells separate from one another so that the person with a 12 can't accidentally grab a 20-ga shell. It can lodge in the barrel and, well, you know the rest.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I appreciate the info from everyone. I’ve already cycled her through my, and friends shotguns. Of course she wants a beretta OU in 20g but I’m not buying that for her first bird gun. So if anyone wants to part with a 20 let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.