• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cb users?

LASCHRIS

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
In a word. NO.
Not in a mag mount or mobile rig antenna anyway.

The Wilson 1000 is a good CB antenna, but it doesn't have enough range of tuning adjustment to be able to tune to the middle of the 10 meter band (10 meter band runs from 28.300 MHz for voice, up to 29.700 MHz) .

The Wilson comes tuned for the middle of the 11 meter CB band (26.965 MHz to 27.405 MHz ) so it's set for about 27.185 MHZ and has enough tuning range (by extending or shortening the stinger tip) to get it almost down to the bottom of that range, or almost to the top of the range, but not completely down or up, as you want to keep the SWR under 2.0:1 throughout the range of the band.

So it would fall short of being able to make it to the middle of the 10 meter voice band at 29.0 MHz. You could put a longer stinger on it, and get it to tune into the 10 meter band, but then it would not work worth a dang in the 11 meter band.

And while the manufacturer rates it as being able to handle "3,000 watts", I really doubt that it would, the RG58 coax cable on it would melt long before you pumped that much wattage into it.

RG58, if feeding a perfect 1:1 SWR, is good to about 1KW at frequencies below 30 MHz, but as the length goes up,, or the SWR mismatch does, or the frequency does, that power handling capability goes down, and pretty fast.

If you want to run a 10 meter mobile rig, buy a 10 meter mobile mag mount antenna, but to run a rig that will do both 10 and 11 meters (which would be an illegal rig) with just one antenna, you would need either a manual or automatic antenna tuner to make the antenna work with both bands.

Same situation if you ran just one antenna and two radios, a CB and a 10 Meter FM ham rig, you would then need a coax switch and an antenna tuner, the switch to split the antenna's feed between the two radios, and the tuner hooked to whichever radio the antenna was NOT built for.

Best bet there would be tune the antenna manually (by adjusting its physical length) to the middle of the 11 meter CB band, then use the manual or automatic tuner to get it to work on the Ham 10 meter band.

Now for a base station, you could run a SolarCon A99 antenna , $99, plus $60 if you want the optional ground plane kit, which I highly recommend, and of course you will need some coax to get to it as it doesn't come with coax attached.

It is easily tunable between 10 and 11 meters ( you only get to pick one at a time, if you mount it on the roof, you would have to go up there to switch between 10 and 11 meters) but it will handle 2,000 watts, and with a wide range tuner, like a MFJ 993B or SGC 230, it will tune from 6 meters through 160 meters. Great antenna, very sturdy, I have used one for years. Hooked through a coax switch, one side sets it to the CB radio (antenna is tuned for the middle of the CB band) other side puts it to a wide range tuner and on to a Ham HF rig, and the tuner lets it work on bands from 6 meters through 160, we use this very set up in our Nye County Emergency Operations Center Communications Radio Room.
That radio (poop) sounds complicated. It may be something to get into during the next few weeks and months. For now though, I will just read on in amazement.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Actually pretty simple, just new terms to learn is all. I teach it all the time to a wide range of folks who go on to pass the Technician class license exam, which is where everyone has to start, and get their license.
Couple of years ago we had 5 generations of men in one family study, take the class, and all passed the exam on the first try. Their ages ran from 8 to 92.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’ve got one in the truck now, upgraded the super cheapie to just a cheapie. The super cheapie is now in my office working as a base unit.

Honestly I’m having too much fun with this ! At least here in North Las Vegas we’ve got some pretty cool old cats that are a hoot to listen too. And I’m close to the truck stops so I can hear quite a bit. So far I really haven’t really talked a bunch but there’s a lot more traffic than on any Ham I listen on.

A good friend called me yesterday, he’s a truck driver from way back and we got to talking about CB, he’s got all these points from buying fuel So we’re going out to Loves and I may get one of these nice Roadkings, or Cobra radios for free then he’s coming over and we’re going to tune everything so I know I’m good and it’s talk time baby !

I‘m pretty excited ! Also a Jerry if you read this I wanted to Thank you again I still have those dual 8’ foot whips and the splitter so that 70’s gear just may be rocking again in the 2020’s. HA !

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Cool,, glad you can use that stuff! Post a pic of the new radio when you get it.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Will do (y), I should post a pic of my base antenna setup now, I bet even nyeco would be impressed with my handyness haha. Everything is from that box of stuff. And I did donate that one setup.

This is some redneck engineering here...LOL but it works. I dare anyone to show me better. I used one of those RV setups from the box, mounted on my trailer and grounded it to a steel pipe near my sprinkler system then have one of those 8 foot whips into the mount. Neat thing is you could drive by and never notice this. The RV setup had enough wire to reach into the house. And the super cheapie radio mounted on a camera tripod....high tech !

I’m going to order some of the nicer RX antenna cable, like 75 foot and weld some steel 10 foot poles together and move this to the roof in the next week or two after we get the new radio. They way it is though I can pickup folks up at the mountain !

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Nothing wrong with that mount! Good ground plane provided by the trailer and the buried steel pipe.

Should work like gangbusters.

And the same sort of thing will work just fine for your HAM gear as well.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
That’s good to know nyeco, the plan is to knock out the mast, with the Ham line at the highest point and the Cb on the same pole but mounted lower, so the Ham will be at like 20’ and the Cb @15’. I’m guessing but that should be enough separation to keep them from interfering with one another.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
As they are both vertically polarized antennas, 5 feet of separation between the top of one antenna and the bottom of the next one should be OK, if you start getting inductive coupling from one to the other there are a few things you can do to mitigate it.

turborich

We still use CB radios. I've got 1500 watts and enjoy talking on mine. Other guys are generally running similar or more power in my area.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I think just about everyone here is using at least a one pill. It definitely makes things better than straight barefoot IMHO for the cb. I appreciate my preamp when it’s hard to hear distant people.

1500.....nice turborich. I’d like to ask what your running. Maybe pm me If your cool with that.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’ve always had a CB in my Jeep until the one we got last year. May add one may not.

My old trucks have CB’s in them. Mostly for nostalgia.

My 69 has a ball mount for an 8’ whip, but the chicken is gone. Been planning to get a new whip and vintage CB just to complete the theme.
38D08D3D-04C1-4615-AFFE-853C832D7142.jpeg ACFD2D0C-A6FC-4E1E-9185-FF8112ADA455.jpeg B8E45006-D81B-495C-9281-7DF69FF48B54.jpeg

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Beautiful 4X4 !

Dr Marneaus, are you in Las Vegas. I have one extra 102” Fiberglas whip that would look great on that 4X4. It was gifted to me so you can have it free if you‘d like. Might even be the same year too !

Last edited:

turborich

turborich

I'll be putting a CB setup in this one soon. Going to build a custom center console that will accommodate my radio, meter and a few other things. I'll probably use my Superior 2x8 mosfet amp along with either a galaxy 959 or possibly a Stryker 955. I'll just have to detune the Stryker, but it will work. I'm gonna use a through roof mount Wilson 1000 on this one. I've never been a fan of mag mounts and in my experience one antenna on the center of the roof outperforms everything else.

IMG_20210112_182536281.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Beautiful 4X4 !

Dr Marneaus, are you in Las Vegas. I have one extra 102” Fiberglas whip that would look great on that 4X4. It was gifted to me so you can have it free if you‘d like. Might even be the same year too !
I appreciate the offer, but I'm up in Reno now. I havent been down to Vegas in almost 2 years at this point :-( I used to make it down at least once a year for frontsight and to see family, but nobody lives there anymore.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
NOW THAT ! Is a fricking setup. Holy cow Rich I can truly appreciate what you’ve done there. Attention to detail and your components is amazing. Not much impresses me these days, that certainly does.

turborich

NOW THAT ! Is a fricking setup. Holy cow Rich I can truly appreciate what you’ve done there. Attention to detail and your components is amazing. Not much impresses me these days, that certainly does.
Thank you sir, that means a lot! Yeah, I can't stand having a bunch of wires all over the place, my OCD kicks in, lol. The 2x8 amp is capable of over 2kw, but I had it full time biased so it's clean power and doesn't bleed on my neighbors. I run it easy at 14.6 volts and with 1 watt in the amp from the radio, it achieves a 200 watt dead key which is exactly what the transistor manufacturer recommends. It very easily modulates to 800 RMS / 1500 PEP on a bird 43 meter. I could get more, but like this it never even warms up so it should run for a long time. When mother nature cooperates I can get out there on the skip channels, even made quite a few contacts on channel 6, although it's tough as some of those guys are running 50 to 100kw!

I'm hoping the Ham operators on here will respect the fact that it's properly biased and clean.