Henderson

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
As title indicates I’m looking for a lower cost range pistol. I’ve started getting better at the range with my 9 but want to practice for cheaper. I’m thinking a TX22, M&P22, Mark IV etc. so something “full” size.
TRYING TO STICK UNDER 350 with transfer. located in Henderson.

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a S&W 22-A they are full size and pretty accurate pistols and you can normally find one for $300 or even less but you may have to do some looking around. Another good choice would be a lower end Browning.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
I would recommend a S&W 22-A they are full size and pretty accurate pistols and you can normally find one for $300 or even less but you may have to do some looking around. Another good choice would be a lower end Browning.
Yea I saw a bunch on armslist right before corona ima keep loookin

SixshooterSam

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If possible, get something otherwise identical to your 9mm, so you are not changing your grip and sighting for a totally different platform. If you have an M&P 9mm now, an M&P 22 makes sense. Glock 19, get a Glock 44. Again, if possible.

Tozan brings up the 22A.. I have one and shoot it a fair bit, but it is pretty different than all my 9mm pistols, so I'm not sure training with it helps me much when it comes to the 9mms. It's more of a target pistol. It is accurate though, and has a nice rail for adding a pistol scope to it, which helps tremendously in the accuracy department.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
If possible, get something otherwise identical to your 9mm, so you are not changing your grip and sighting for a totally different platform. If you have an M&P 9mm now, an M&P 22 makes sense. Glock 19, get a Glock 44. Again, if possible.

Tozan brings up the 22A.. I have one and shoot it a fair bit, but it is pretty different than all my 9mm pistols, so I'm not sure training with it helps me much when it comes to the 9mms. It's more of a target pistol. It is accurate though, and has a nice rail for adding a pistol scope to it, which helps tremendously in the accuracy department.
I’m carrying a Taurus G2C, I was really aiming for the Tx22 but the shop I went to sold it the day before. I’m really practicing trigger pull, flinching etc.

SixshooterSam

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m carrying a Taurus G2C, I was really aiming for the Tx22 but the shop I went to sold it the day before. I’m really practicing trigger pull, flinching etc.
Practice with dummy rounds. Especially useful if someone else can load your mags for you. Have them insert dummy rounds randomly into your mags, so you'll catch yourself flinching when you're expecting a round to fire and it doesn't.

Practice long, slow squeezes of the trigger such that it surprises you when it fires. Eventually the flinch will work itself out, but it takes time and practice.

Me personally, I'm not convinced that practicing with a .22 helps correct flinch as you know in your mind it's a .22 and know that you don't "need" to flinch. Part conscious, part subconscious.

PM720

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Ty, I was considering the SR22 but def not interested in the glock
What is the issue with the Glock? I have one and its a great little pistol that is virtually identical to my G19 in basic handling.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
Practice with dummy rounds. Especially useful if someone else can load your mags for you. Have them insert dummy rounds randomly into your mags, so you'll catch yourself flinching when you're expecting a round to fire and it doesn't.

Practice long, slow squeezes of the trigger such that it surprises you when it fires. Eventually the flinch will work itself out, but it takes time and practice.

Me personally, I'm not convinced that practicing with a .22 helps correct flinch as you know in your mind it's a .22 and know that you don't "need" to flinch. Part conscious, part subconscious.
Idk if it’s just the dummy rounds I used but for some reason my G2C won’t feed them.

SixshooterSam

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Idk if it’s just the dummy rounds I used but for some reason my G2C won’t feed them.
I have a bunch of snap caps, as well as a bunch of fired cases with new bullets crimped in (no powder or primers). If you know anyone who reloads, you can have them make some for you.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
What is the issue with the Glock? I have one and its a great little pistol that is virtually identical to my G19 in basic handling.
I’ve heard they have issues with ammo. I want something that’ll eat pretty much whatever I feed it. I specially with times like rn where I can’t pick what I find lol.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 96.6%
33   1   0
I have a bunch of snap caps, as well as a bunch of fired cases with new bullets crimped in (no powder or primers). If you know anyone who reloads, you can have them make some for you.
I need to make more shooting friends. Right now it’s just me and my brother. I didn’t touch a gun until about just a year ago.

PM720

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I’ve heard they have issues with ammo. I want something that’ll eat pretty much whatever I feed it. I specially with times like rn where I can’t pick what I find lol.
It's .22LR, that doesn't exist! LOL! Mine has around 700 rounds of Mini Mags & Automatch with zero issues. Some guys have had random issues and others run on anything. I suspect part of it is keeping it clean (mine hasn't been cleaned yet. Shooting for 1000 rounds before I do) and some guns appear to need some break in time. Watching some of the other forums the reports of issues have all but faded away. YMMV.

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

HBoswell

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have both the G2 and TX22 and you might be better off getting the M&P 22. I have never fired one, but, I think it is closer in size and the trigger may be closer in function to your G2C than the TX22 which has an entirely different trigger mechanism. On the other hand, the extra capacity of the TX is really nice at the range and extra mags are not that pricy.

SixshooterSam

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I need to make more shooting friends. Right now it’s just me and my brother. I didn’t touch a gun until about just a year ago.
Well let me say for everyone here, welcome aboard. It's always a good thing when new folks join the ranks of us gun owners and shooting enthusiasts. Hopefully you can bring more of your friends and family along as well!

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The Glock 44 is ‘ ok ‘ if you plan to practice drawing and mag changes and you already have a belt rig setup for a Glock 17 or 19.

I bought one the week they came out, it ran flawless for 4,000 rounds. Then it blew the extractor and split the slide.
Sent it back to Glock on a Monday morning, the following Monday fed ex delivered me a replacement pistol.
Only 400 rounds thru this one. No jams, shoots a bit tighter groups than the first.

Very disappointing for the price, but Glock covered it. Just sucks knowing next time it happens it will be out of the warranty period most likely.

Glock perfection....but only for one year. ;)

PM720

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Glock regularly replaces parts on pistols well over 1 year old. Take a Glock to a GSSF match and they will practically rebuild it on the spot at no charge. I hear Ruger has a similar policy but of course you need to send the gun to them. No idea on Taurasus warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.