• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Every man should own an old truck

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Beautiful!

What products do you use?

I been thinking about bringing the shiny white back in a vehicle that sat in the sun for 20 years - never polished or waxed. Been reading a bit about that Turtle Wax Hybrid ceramic spray you do every 6 months. Have a new buffer I've never tried, and that looks much better than clay bar.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Every man *should* have an old truck. For me, it was a 1964 International 1200 that I purchased from the estate of an old time gunsmith in San Rafael. He had been the original owner and the original "build list" that he used to order the truck (they were all special order at the time AFAIK) was in the glove box. Armstrong steering, no power brakes, big V-8 coupled to a 4 speed manual gearbox with a granny gear so low that in compound low, I literally could walk faster. Manual hubs, of course. It had custom bumpers; the front mounted a PTO winch that could haul the thing up a wall - if you could keep the engine running at that angle - and a rear bumper that was a water tank for extra traction. Good thing as all of the tires I could get at the time weren't exactly off-road capable. It had the original paint in decent shape inside and out. The seat was shot and the passenger floor had some rust but that was the worst of it.

It was big, loud and uncouth, a straightforward workhorse of a truck. My Sergeant said, after I passed him on the freeway one day, that it sounded like a Russian tank going down the road. Yup, it did. It got the same gas mileage as a Russian tank, too... "fuel economy" was not a phrase anywhere in that truck's lexicon!

There were some big down sides, though. Tires were almost impossible as it still had the original split rims and there were just no wheels out there for it. While mechanical parts could still be ordered from International, things like door seals were a challenge in the days before the Internet. I finally sold it to the Chief Engineer of the Red and White Fleet in SF, he bought it for his son if I remember. Raising a family just didn't leave room in the budget or anywhere else for a restoration project.

Dang it, now I miss that truck! I wish I'd even thought to take a photo of it.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Beautiful!

What products do you use?

I been thinking about bringing the shiny white back in a vehicle that sat in the sun for 20 years - never polished or waxed. Been reading a bit about that Turtle Wax Hybrid ceramic spray you do every 6 months. Have a new buffer I've never tried, and that looks much better than clay bar.

Since this is garbage single stage paint I’m using garbage products. Just turtle wax rubbing compound and nufinish polish.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Missed a spot!

You know as well as I do some bird is eyeballing it at this very moment. That or a random cloud will pass dropping just enough sprinkles to (fack) it up! :LOL:
That’s fine, I can wash that off.

But having to cut through 30 years of oxidation…..not fun

Bonez

Well-known member (45 ACP)
If anyone is looking.. today I came across this ’57 Chevy for sale (it’s not actively being advertised for sale) at Doc’s Saddlery on the corner of Elkhorn @ Maverick in NW LV. Sorry for the crappy pics, I didn’t think to take any until I was on the way out to the vehicle to leave. It is filthy right now, he says it will fire up but the battery is dead at the moment. He’s done some really neat leather accent pieces on the interior as well. Its a flatbed dually and at least one of the rear tires still had new nubs on it. He said he’s got about $12K into it (it is not worth that much IMO) and he is open to offers. If I had the space I woulda probably taken a harder look and jump started it for a spin around the block and made a reasonable offer.
Either way, he’s a cool guy and I will probably head over for some leather work in the near future since he is around the corner from me.

2FCC62D9-063C-4C73-A2B2-36FBAD29AE17.jpeg
BE6F64C1-541D-476C-9986-CBF33720E2E6.jpeg

Ron_O

Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
If anyone is looking.. today I came across this ’57 Chevy for sale (it’s not actively being advertised for sale) at Doc’s Saddlery on the corner of Elkhorn @ Maverick in NW LV. Sorry for the crappy pics, I didn’t think to take any until I was on the way out to the vehicle to leave. It is filthy right now, he says it will fire up but the battery is dead at the moment. He’s done some really neat leather accent pieces on the interior as well. Its a flatbed dually and at least one of the rear tires still had new nubs on it. He said he’s got about $12K into it (it is not worth that much IMO) and he is open to offers. If I had the space I woulda probably taken a harder look and jump started it for a spin around the block and made a reasonable offer.
Either way, he’s a cool guy and I will probably head over for some leather work in the near future since he is around the corner from me.

View attachment 140689
View attachment 140690
Love that truck!

Now you've got me thinking about buying something that I wasn't even thinking about owning! Same way I ended up owning my motorcycle and Polaris 6x6...

Bonez

Love that truck!

Now you've got me thinking about buying something that I wasn't even thinking about owning! Same way I ended up owning my motorcycle and Polaris 6x6...
Me too! I wish I had the space for it, that’s really the only thing that is keeping me from trying to snag it.

Ron_O

Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Me too! I wish I had the space for it, that’s really the only thing that is keeping me from trying to snag it.
I wonder what he'd take for it. Seems like if it was cleaned up and running, it'd fetch a pretty good price. Wonder how road-worthy it is? Only way I'd want it would be if I could actually use it to tow a trailer and the like; maybe my Jeep. My Jeep's been a project, upgrade after upgrade, that I've yet to seriously get on the road (or offroad), which is wearing on me...

Nice to have as a 'looker' to draw attention or cruise town occasionally, but without disc brakes, for example, I'm not sure whether it's worth more than as a looker. Still nice to have though!

Maybe it's time for me to clean a few things out of the inventory, just to free up some cash and make some more room....

Thanks for posting this. Hope he doesn't get in any real hurry to see it go away!

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Only way I'd want it would be if I could actually use it to tow a trailer and the like; maybe my Jeep. My Jeep's been a project, upgrade after upgrade, that I've yet to seriously get on the road (or offroad), which is wearing on me...
That truck is likely PEGGED at 55mph, so without some drivetrain work its not gonna be a super fun tow rig.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

View attachment 140689
Still rocking the FJ I see?

Bonez

Yep! Thats the wife’s grocery getter and we are quite fond of it so we have no plans of letting it go even though we wish it had 4 full size doors

vegasplinker

I don't dial 911

View attachment 140689
View attachment 140690
Isn’t that a 58 or 59 Apache? Looks to be 1 ton or bigger. The cab and dog house is the same as 1/2 ton. The quote about speed is right. 55mph pegged.

Bonez

Isn’t that a 58 or 59 Apache? Looks to be 1 ton or bigger. The cab and dog house is the same as 1/2 ton. The quote about speed is right. 55mph pegged.
I am with you, it looks like an Apache but as far as the year he said it was a '57. I didn't peek under the hood or look underneath too closely because I didn't want to love it even more