• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Every man should own an old truck

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If you're a man, and you own property, you should own a beat up old truck. It's such a useful thing to have around, and you dont have to worry ab out scratching up some $65,000 Lariat Ranch King Boss edition whatever the hell.

I picked up this 1974 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special (god thats a mouthful) from a buddy almost a year ago. 390, C6, D60 rear, dual tanks, all the options (AC and cruise). Definitely one of the best purchases I have made in regard to vehicles. I own a 2004 Dakota but thats a 'little' truck, and has a camper shell, so while I still used it for truck stuff, I wanted a TRUCK truck to use for truck stuff.

Tires were shot, it BADLY needed a new steering box installed (buddy included one with it), and the seat was trashed. Tossed on tires, replaced the steering gear, reconnected the rear fuel tank, and found a recovered seat locally. Thats literally all it "needed" and I've been driving it since. I've cleaned a few things up, and added a few things like the CB. I hardly ever drive the dodge anymore.

I also let my brother in law use it for his detailing business on weekends if he wants.

Overall, decent looking well running truck.
Untitled

Untitled

Haulin' Gravel:
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Hauling my bike:
Untitled

Hauling yard debris:
Untitled

Haulin' trash:
Untitled

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rare to find one like that so well kept. The 390 is a good part if it too, they say the 460 has enough power to pass everything except a gas station lol

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Acid flashback!!! Especially the mirrors. Dad had a ‘70, baseline with the 6. 3/tree. And those mirrors!

Those mirrors kick butt!!!!

soundguy1

Member (9mm)
Nice looking truck, and dog! I have an old 1985 GMC 2500 van I use for a pickup. Much sturdier than the newer 1995 Chevy G20 van I also own, but one looks nice and works, the other looks like it has been to hell and back and will probably be around longer than it's younger brother. Unless you spend a (poop)load of money they don't make trucks/vans as indestructible as they used to!

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It's crazy how modern "small" trucks are about the size of this thing.
Maybe in length, and bulky weight, but a tacoma/colorado sure as heck is narrower and the beds are tiny by comparison. I can comfortably sit 3 people on the bench without bumping shoulders, and the bed is friggin massive.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rare to find one like that so well kept. The 390 is a good part if it too, they say the 460 has enough power to pass everything except a gas station lol
The crazy thing is my buddy had a landscape crew driving it for 2 years! It came out of that relatively unscathed. They pulled down the headliner (cardboard is still htere), and its got 2 or 3 dings, but aside from that its just got scratches and chips in the paint. Almost ZERO body damage ( just the few dings).

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I went the utility trailer route myself. Less expensive, minimal insurance. Can be used with either of our vehicles.

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Ha that’s so full of win ! Love it. Last year I traded my 78 K10 4X4 shortbed and there’s lots I miss about that old truck.

Brute strength and going anywhere you point it. 8 miles to the gallon with a good tail wind, unless your towing something heavy, then it goes to 14.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
had just over a yard of rock in mine awhile ago. Dont drive it as much as I would like to @ 8mpg :)

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Well shoot. Drove it up to Tahoe. ran awesome but heard a tick. Got home and dove in. Rocker spacer spring broke and rocker slipped off the valve.

Gotta get new spring, check rod and lifters, and probably replace the valve retainer.
B6AC2C81-55FD-4C30-8FFF-D823371463E8.jpeg

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Great trucks ^^^^.

Miss my 1962 Chevy Suburban 4x4 with the Paxton blown 327, 4.88 gears, 4 speed with compound low and the two speed aux gear box. Low range that thing had almost as much pulling power as my 1995 H1 HUMMER does.
Had put 4 wheel disc brakes and add on air on it, just before my wife talked me into trading it in (it only had 680,000 on it, had rebuilt that little 327 4 times) on a brand new 1983 Ford Bronco.

Bronco lasted 6 years, traded it in with only 80,000 miles on it, on the 1989 Ford F150 4x4 pickup I still have. It's only got 168,000 on that 302 , I expect it will last the rest of my life.
Should have kept the Suburban, the Bronco had lots of problems.