• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WTB Looking for a cheap Small handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Not to beat the Shield EZ 380 to death, but forum sponsor @DiscountGunSource has the range package (includes pistol, range bag, glasses, ear muffs, & bore snake) for $350. S&W has a $50 rebate on them which brings it to $300 (plus tax, etc)
Highly recommend contacting them, have her rack the slide on it as well as the others you mention, and see what's best for her.

WarrenS

Lurker (.22LR)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bought my wife the S & W 22 because it's almost identical to the 380 and she could get used to holding and fireing it without the recoil, now she's all good to go

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
+1 on both the hammerless revolvers and S&W EZ .380.
On another note, the title of this thread "Looking for a cheap Small handgun" had this old Fed thinking "He's looking for a throw down to plant on the body after he whacks someone!" :eek::devilish:

Coup d'etat

Retired Veteran & Real Estate Broker
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
The cheapest weapon that you're going to find will be either a Rhom revolver or a Jennings/ Raven auto. The best zinc on the market.

4x4Brit

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
145   0   0
The Walther CCP M2 9mm is also worth a look. The slide is extremely easy to rack due to the fixed barrel and blow back operation.
Reading through page 1 this was going to be my suggestion or a shield. Your range package for the 380 is a killer dealer for someone on a tight budget. I don’t really like to recommend 380 but if she can shoot it well, rack the slide etc, it’s better than no gun or less rounds on target with a 9mm.

From personal experience those small Keltecs and LCP’s are unpleasant to shoot and deliver a nice sting to the palm of your hand. They have pretty miserable accuracy too due to the crappy ergonomics. If she won’t shoot it, no point having it.

Harley

BANNED 4 LIFE because I did it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
+1 on both the hammerless revolvers and S&W EZ .380.
On another note, the title of this thread "Looking for a cheap Small handgun" had this old Fed thinking "He's looking for a throw down to plant on the body after he whacks someone!" :eek::devilish:
In that case, a Hi-Point will work just fine!

Just an Average Joe

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
If she can't handle the recoil or the slides on those guns, a PF9 or LC9 makes no sense. Those guns will kick harder and the slides have less to grab onto with stiffer springs.

The Glock 21 is a very soft shooting gun compared to an LC9.

This exactly.

Can't fight physics.

The smaller and lighter a pistol is for any given round, the more recoil, perceived and/or actual.

The sub-compact 9mm pistols available today are great for concealed carry, but in my experience, aren't the most fun to shoot more than a couple of magazines through.

Definitely would suggest you stick with the .380 for her, as it is both easier to shoot and control, and has a lighter recoil spring, making slide manipulation easier. With modern defensive ammo, at the typical self defense encounter of just a few feet, .380 is nothing to scoff at. I have a Glock 42 with the Taran Tactical +2 extenders, giving me 9+1 rounds in a small, thin, lightweight, ultra-reliable easy to control package, that I still occasionally carry.

Do the bulk of her training on full size pistols, so as not to turn her off on shooting a heavier recoiling sub-compact, followed with enough shooting of whatever carry piece you decide on that she is comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.