• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Please close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGNVSHOOTERS

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Do they give the seller back their gun or do they then need to do a background check on that person so they can get there gun? It's not the law that they need to keep the gun during the background check.

Last edited:
Do they give the seller back their gun or do they then need to do a backround check on that person so they can get there gun? It's not the law that they need to keep the gun during the background check. There are places that do it correctly like green valley range who don't require the gun to be left. I would never in a million years leave a gun that I cared about to a gun shop, especially when they are dumb enough to not be able to read the law correctly.
So basically I showed up and talk to the manager MIKE who told me the reason they don’t give guns on unresolved cases like mine was because it’s a liability and that if it comes back denied after they give a gun to a unresolved person they have to go and hunt the gun down!! . Which is a lie the state would have to do that and they are not liable seeing the law says they have the right to provide the gun if they choose to. Anyways they made the seller fill out a back round check forum to get the gun back lmao, luckily he had a CCW but if he didn’t we would have had to wait to get the gun back and paid for the p
Background check again, they also did not give me a refund even thought they decide to not give me the buyer the gun. I ended up going to sheep dog they gave me the gun after it came back unresolved and the owner was extremely respectful and I didn’t feel like I was burdening them. Every time I go into new frontier armory there are a couple guys that seem either depressed or not interested in being there.

Thing that was hilarious was I did a private party a week ago at new frontier and that one came back approved but they didn’t care. Ofcourse if I wanted to buy a gun directly from them I could have flashed my CCW and walked out same day with the gun.

And to answer your question they take the gun and put it in the back, the last gun I got approved for on the private sale week before was messed with. Reason I know this is when I dropped it off it was smooth to release the cylinder. When I picked it up I had to tighten the release tube. Only reason that would be is someone was opening and closing the cylinder.

Last edited:

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
So basically I showed up and talk to the manager MIKE who told me the reason they don’t give guns on unresolved cases like mine was because it’s a liability and that if it comes back denied after they give a gun to a unresolved person they have to go and hunt the gun down!! . Which is a lie the state would have to do that and they are not liable seeing the law says they have the right to provide the gun if they choose to. Anyways they made the seller fill out a back round check forum to get the gun back lmao, luckily he had a CCW but if he didn’t we would have had to wait to get the gun back and paid for the p
Background check again, they also did not give me a refund even thought they decide to not give me the buyer the gun. I ended up going to sheep dog they gave me the gun after it came back unresolved and the owner was extremely respectful and I didn’t feel like I was burdening them. Every time I go into new frontier armory there are a couple guys that seem either depressed or not interested in being there.
Why a lie? that is what I was told as an FFL. The previous shop I was at did not release unresolved because the state told us they had 30 days to continue to look into it and if they cam back with denied we would have to get the gun back.

Why would they refund you, they performed the task asked of them? They didn't come up with unresolved.

JB33

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Why not have the firearm owner pick his gun up, then he releases it to you? Unresolved is perfectly legal for an ffl to release to, it’s just a store policy not to. So can’t the actual owner of the gun retake possession and then transfer to you since it came back unresolved, and you have that on paper, in writing at that ffl etc.

Is there anything in the law that says a private transfer can’t occur if unresolved comes back on the background check? I’m asking legitimately, not sarcastically.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Once it's on the FFL's books by going into them, they now have to do a background check on the firearm to give it back to the guy who first brought it in. And thanks to the growing inefficiency of the government, the chances he, too, comes back as unresolved really makes you wonder why all y'all are bothering the gun shops with all this nonsense to start with.

"Unresolved" doesn't mean someone is all that questionable. It just means the government doesn't care to take the time to DO THEIR JOB, the one they keep trying to tell you that you should have them do. Stop trying to ask them to do a job they can't manage to do.

Last edited:

JB33

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Gotcha. So if he had his CCW (the owner) couldn’t he get it back for free? Then he just transfers to the guy who got unresolved. I’m guessing he can’t, since the ffl has to mark whether transfer occurred and the date it occurred..but I was just trying to think of a loophole. In my mind you’d be good since it wasn’t a denial and the resistance to transferring the gun is purely a store policy, not a law.

JB33

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
When I say transfer to the guy after getting the firearm back, I mean just handing him the gun in the parking lot lol

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
When I say transfer to the guy after getting the firearm back, I mean just handing him the gun in the parking lot lol
"Getting the firearm back" is the paperwork part. It can still come back as another "unresolved/too busy to do our job" even for the guy who brought it in three days ago.

Unless you have reason to suspect he is a prohibited person, handing him the gun in the parking lot should have just been plan A.

Right and again I got a proceed the week before and had my CCW on hand lol. But it is what it is seller wanted to be safe which I totally understood so I just took my bussiness else where. Sheep dog cares about our 2A rights and they do not deny people there rights to own a gun when the state has clear wasted everyone’s time and did not do there job by actually looking into me as the buyer to come up with a anwser, this is because it’s free and they don’t make any money. This world is turning in a liberal country and the people in these gun stores are slowly going that way as well. MONEY is all they care about. I respect if you also take the time to care about your customer but sadly that is not the case. It put an extremely bad taste in my mouth to say the least. 3-4 years back new frontier what the (poop), Ivan the old
Manager was respectful and never made excuses or excused the customer as being lier like this clown did. Everything that came out of his mouth was just making me even more upset. Anyways I got my gun and if you want to get yours and not wait 45+ days for them to tell you that you’re a law abiding citizen I recommend not going to NFA. Also they don’t do 25 backround check it’s 28 after they throw a 3% on top for credit card Proccesing fees.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I hate how often the state level background check law conflicts with the federal law, as it leads to frustrations like this (likely on purpose by the wording of the law, but could also be just stupid people writing it).

I have two thoughts on this:
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec2547

1. In the state law, there is no provision for unresolved background checks. Section 6 states if eligible, dealer gives buyer the gun; if ineligible, dealer does not give the gun. Because there is no provision for unresolved, and the dealer is bound by those two clearly written criteria, dealer can’t do a transfer. Unresolved background checks only apply to straight dealer transfers to unlicensed persons under Federal law.

2. Section 5 states that the owner can remove the firearm from the business while waiting for a background check to complete. But that kind of conflicts with 3. that requires dealers to treat the gun as if it was their own inventory. I’ve yet to to a sale under this law, but I remember reading that some dealers would wait until the background check came back before entering the gun into their books, expressly so they don’t have to background check the original owner for a failed buyer (since it wasn’t on their books).

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
...Section 6 states if eligible, dealer gives buyer the gun; if ineligible, dealer does not give the gun. Because there is no provision for unresolved, ...

2. ... I remember reading that some dealers would wait until the background check came back before entering the gun into their books, expressly so they don’t have to background check the original owner for a failed buyer (since it wasn’t on their books).
1. "unresolved" should equal "eligible."
2. violating the terms of their FFL in order to avoid state paperwork hassles. Yeah, there's a solution. If they get a BATFEIEIO inspection during that period, they have some explaining to do.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
But it is what it is seller wanted to be safe which I totally understood
I've yet to want a gun here that badly. I understand brainwashing and don't fault them too much, but I simply tell them no thanks. I'm fortunately in a position where I'm not that desperate to add a gun to my collection I can find no where else.

I refuse to act as if this California bull(crap) is normal. I understand a lot of you transplants just think: "Hey, this isn't nearly as bad as where we left," and just go along. Thanks for making the transition to what you just left that much easier. Then again, if every gun shop had refused to do these transfers (and many have, though most not out of principle) the state would have been forced to officially abandon the scheme, a scheme not a single sheriff is enforcing, not even in the most liberal and populated counties.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
1. "unresolved" should equal "eligible."
2. violating the terms of their FFL in order to avoid state paperwork hassles. Yeah, there's a solution. If they get a BATFEIEIO inspection during that period, they have some explaining to do.
Agreed on 1 on principal, but the state law is binary.

And yeah, there’s no way for a dealer to be fully compliant on the second point without inconveniencing the seller.

GlenBaker

Well-known member (45 ACP)
There was a time when..
NFA's late owner Guido aka David Famiglietti would address your complaint personally.
Those days are over.
I'm in the same situation, except I am the Seller. My buyer has a CCW showed it to me, but he didn't have a driver's license just a state ID card and came back as unresolved.
It is what it is. I'll pick my gun up at Ventura along with one that I ordered last week and the refund him his money.

Status
Not open for further replies.