• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Radar detectors in NV specifically Las Vegas

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
You can add Montana to that list. If you are doing less than 10 over (more or less depending on cop) they will give you a ticket you can pay on the spot. The last few times I paid it was 20 bucks. It was also considered a waste of natural resources rather than a speeding ticket. I am sure times have changed there and it is more now. Back in the day it was a 5 dollar fine.

bob
I got popped about 25 yrs ago doing 68 in a 20. All I got was a $20 fine for no seatbelt!

Cant imagine what all that woulda cost me these days!

akaTrex

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
One-third of ALL car accidents can be attributed to speeding. The faster a car driver speeds, the less time you have to react.
Many years ago I attended Bob Bondurant High-Performance Driving School and has proved invaluable with the IDIOT Drivers of Today.
Bondurant taught the California Highway Patrol and other Law Enforcement Agencies instructors how to Drive!

Today with the popularity of High Horsepower Cars and SUVs that don't handle worth a (poop). Speed is a BIG Problem.
Over the Memorial weekend, NHP wrote 125 tickets in one evening alone. Ticketing and Impounding one driver clocked at 125 mph.

I have loaded an App on my Phone "Speedometer" that displays a DIGITAL Speed Readout. It Turns RED when I exceed the Speed I have programed the various speed limits of Nevada streets and Highways.

My Advice: Leave Earlier!

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
One-third of ALL car accidents can be attributed to speeding. The faster a car driver speeds, the less time you have to react.
Many years ago I attended Bob Bondurant High-Performance Driving School and has proved invaluable with the IDIOT Drivers of Today.
Bondurant taught the California Highway Patrol and other Law Enforcement Agencies instructors how to Drive!

Today with the popularity of High Horsepower Cars and SUVs that don't handle worth a (poop). Speed is a BIG Problem.
Over the Memorial weekend, NHP wrote 125 tickets in one evening alone. Ticketing and Impounding one driver clocked at 125 mph.

I have loaded an App on my Phone "Speedometer" that displays a DIGITAL Speed Readout. It Turns RED when I exceed the Speed I have programed the various speed limits of Nevada streets and Highways.

My Advice: Leave Earlier!
Inappropriate speed and lack of driving skill is the issue, not speeding itself. Just look at Germany and their autobahn. In areas where it’s appropriate there is no limit. In areas where it’s not okay to go fast there is. They enforce it closely and fines are serious. Getting a license in Germany takes some actual effort.

I’d have less an issue if they made sense - 75 on the open highway with no traffic isn’t reasonable.

akaTrex

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Speed doesn't kill, differential in speed kills
Yes like Amateur attempts to avoid slowed or stopped traffic. Then hitting a slow or immovable object.

There are three impacts when your in a wreck. Your vehicles impact, your body’s impact inside your car and seat belt and your internal organs and brain impacting your rib cage and skull.

Px4Shooter

Sure. This is my clarification:
“…while people on the streets are getting robbed and properties are getting broken into.”.

When law enforcement choose to move resources away from criminal activity where real humans are victims toward victimless but more monetary rewarding violations - that’s a BS. No respect.
Solve all crimes where people are hurt and then ticket us to no end.
Ask Biden to print more money, not me.
Yep. Only 314 people died last year driving. And, according to the website, there are 8 injury accidents pending a response right now.
https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Pages/CurrentTraffic.aspx

I cannot find how many tens of thousands of accidents occurred in 2020 or how many thousands of people were injured.

And I believe MOST good people can learn from a vehicle stop rather than a ticket. Those driving reckless or excessively speeding are rarely good people. Out of the stops I made for going 25+ (my current personal maybe I should stop them rule since I am not there to work traffic), none of them were good normal citizens.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Silver State Challenge

A car averaged 220 mph over a 90 mile stretch of Nevada Highway 318. Another car hit 240 mph. All legal!
Blocked gates for that many times, helped clean up the coyote/fatality wreck that ended the day years ago.

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
What new technology? New bands or methods? I'm using a Beltronics Pro RX65 in Nevada and California and it seems to be picking everything up. Have not come across a 'radar trap' that wasn't noted by the detector.

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yep. Only 314 people died last year driving. And, according to the website, there are 8 injury accidents pending a response right now.

I cannot find how many tens of thousands of accidents occurred in 2020 or how many thousands of people were injured.

And I believe MOST good people can learn from a vehicle stop rather than a ticket. Those driving reckless or excessively speeding are rarely good people. Out of the stops I made for going 25+ (my current personal maybe I should stop them rule since I am not there to work traffic), none of them were good normal citizens.
The real danger is (1) motorcycles racing the streets and (2) people ignoring or racing through traffic lights and stop signs. Ok, (3) impair drivers using alcohol or pot.

Luxom

And I believe MOST good people can learn from a vehicle stop rather than a ticket
Agree... Far too often police simply hand out a fine.
Every time ive EVER been given a ticket for a victimless crime (yeah ill use that word until somebody can present a victim of MY actions, not some strawman BS about how many OTHER people have hurt) it has done NOTHING to discourage me, it simply means i look harder for cops before doing it and i learned one more place the tax collectors hide.

Anybody going in excess of 25+ though isnt doing it because theyre late or just a little rushed or their foot got a bit heavy on the pedal. Thats an intentional decision. Do with them as you will.
Ive been given at least half a dozen tickets for 5-9 over though where zero victims were present. Its not a "leave earlier" kind of thing. When you drive all day all over town and you dont have a set of lights and sirens that let you "bend" the law you may occasionally find yourself getting pulled over because you were going 45 in a 35 because one road will be 45 and then the next block over a basically identical road is 35 and for some reason officers sit there with nothing better to do. Wonder why...

Not to mention trying to get a court date. Im waiting for the justice court to remember it actually has a job to go dispute my most recent "violation".
Got the ticket in june 2020 here we are June 2021 and they still have me waiting. Their plan is to just have everybody accept their charges and pay the court over the phone. Therea no way to even represent yourself right now, but somehow this supposedly isnt a violation of my rights.
Im so da** tired of these BS piddly laws.

VGM837

Active member (5.56mm)
Agree... Far too often police simply hand out a fine.
Every time ive EVER been given a ticket for a victimless crime (yeah ill use that word until somebody can present a victim of MY actions, not some strawman BS about how many OTHER people have hurt) it has done NOTHING to discourage me, it simply means i look harder for cops before doing it and i learned one more place the tax collectors hide.

Anybody going in excess of 25+ though isnt doing it because theyre late or just a little rushed or their foot got a bit heavy on the pedal. Thats an intentional decision. Do with them as you will.
Ive been given at least half a dozen tickets for 5-9 over though where zero victims were present. Its not a "leave earlier" kind of thing. When you drive all day all over town and you dont have a set of lights and sirens that let you "bend" the law you may occasionally find yourself getting pulled over because you were going 45 in a 35 because one road will be 45 and then the next block over a basically identical road is 35 and for some reason officers sit there with nothing better to do. Wonder why...

Not to mention trying to get a court date. Im waiting for the justice court to remember it actually has a job to go dispute my most recent "violation".
Got the ticket in june 2020 here we are June 2021 and they still have me waiting. Their plan is to just have everybody accept their charges and pay the court over the phone. Therea no way to even represent yourself right now, but somehow this supposedly isnt a violation of my rights.
Im so da** tired of these BS piddly laws.
I’m in the same exact boat. Got caught doing “15 over” Last year in Dec. Justice court kept giving me the run around and I finally got a date for Dec. Who knows if it’ll actually be open. Also, they wanted me to plea online and FORFEIT my right to confront witnesses etc. I told them to F*** off for a month before they would finally give me and IN-PERSON date.

Aswild

I have a Valentine One in every vehicle I have. Around town, I don't speed much, but it's nice to know when they are around running radar. Usually this is only the Metro bike cops and NHP.

That said, get a membership to Legal Shield. It's kind of like attorney insurance. Once of the services they offer is handling tickets. I've used it a handful of times in the last 20 years. Every ticket has been reduced to a parking ticket, no points, no driving school, and just pay a fine that's about 1/2 of the ticket fine. The local attorneys that do this for Legal Shield are Dempsey, Roberts and Smith. You could contact them about handling it for you personally. There are others that do this too.
You can also go to court yourself and get it nocked down yourself. Only your time is doing the work. They get knocked down to non moving violation/ seat belt ticket no point or driving school.

doz

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter

So what defines good people and normal citizens?

I was pulled over for doing 108+ (he paced me at 108 and I was pulling away so that’s what he wrote), 92 in a 65 one morning just cruising, and I’ve had about 25 speeding tickets in my life. I have no charges besides traffic violations. Can pass a background check. Have held a job since I was 16 (legally, earlier under the table). Always give the man his yearly cut.

Would that make me a bad citizen since that is the one law I constantly break? Never mind the guy going 50 in the fast lane on his phone. He’s not the problem, my excessive speed is……

I wish police would start pulling people over more and handing out higher fines for their piss poor cell phone driving.

akaTrex

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
What new technology? New bands or methods? I'm using a Beltronics Pro RX65 in Nevada and California and it seems to be picking everything up. Have not come across a 'radar trap' that wasn't noted by the detector.
California CHP and Police use Lidar that uses a laser to calculate your speed. In California the CHP will station an officer on top of an overpass and laser the vehicles and radio the speeders vechicle description to the officers stationed down the road. Unlike police radar (which can typically be detected in advance), police laser pinpoints a specific vehicle and provides no advance warning.
Lidar.jpg

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
FYI, for some areas, LV area for example, the feature in WAZE is helpful.

crowd source reporting of police activity to allow motorists to safely Navigate through an area. It’s only as good as the reports. But they’re mostly accurate. Also has reporting for crash, lane obstruction, construction, traffic flow issues and routing.

the west side of 215 from far hills to town center is a major revenue generation area. focused enforcement 2-3 days every month or two…. Upto 10 bikes. Normal situation…

2 or 3 shooters On bridge. 5-8 catchers. Moving from one ramp to the next over the course of an hour.

working from home has its benefits These days.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’d be interested to know …

my feeling tells me that most crashes / stupids, please don’t call them accidents as very few are, speed may be involved, but the bigger issue is a different primary issue.

id suspect that the drunk guy didn’t hit someone or something because he was speeding, but primarily because of the complications of being drunk or other stupid activity. Now, hitting the concrete barrier, or oncoming car, at 100 instead of 65… well yeah, more energy, more damage.

that Said, it does remind me of an old story from just after moving here from Atlanta.

a rich tech bigwig dude in Alpharetta bought his teenage kid a Ferrari… you can guess where thats going…