• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Official Motorcycle Thread!

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have nothing newer than 2015 (FZ1), but comes with all the tools needed for both wheels to be pulled.
Of my bikes:

1971 Black BMW R75/5
1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yel Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Org/Blk Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2016 Org/Blk Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Blue Energica SS9

Only the oldest two have the stuff to remove the wheels.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
What bike? Most have tools onboard to do wheel removal.
Yamaha FJR1300

Pretty heavy bike.

Don't have anything to prop or jack it up with when wheels removed, and really not up for trying, lol.

If it was a 250cc dirt bike it wouldn't be a problem.

Looked at Cycle Gear website - I think you have to take them the wheel removed from the bike. Maybe its a liability thing for them not to remove wheels from bikes.

Pandanin

The Kilted One
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Suzuki Hayabusa and Honda Goldwing. I'm not touching the wheels on either one; only dealer gets to play with the wheels.

I've learned the hard way that some things should not be self-taught.

terdog

Active member (5.56mm)
CG may have changed their policy, but for decades they DID remove the wheels at the store. I'd call and verify.
I can't believe that the FJ doesn't have a tool kit.
Like mine, you put it on the center stand then prop the front up with a jack under the headers.

But, do what works for you ??

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Like mine, you put it on the center stand then prop the front up with a jack under the headers.

eh.

and when I am squeezing the wheel and tire in past the plastic rear fender (yes I checked out youtube vids), and I knock the bike over and do $600 worth of damage because I was trying to save $60.....

I'm good.

I do everything that I am able to do around the house, etc, (my own yard work, pool maintenance and repair, in house minor repairs and painting, oil changes, and the list goes on) to avoid paying other people, but sometimes it's just not worth it.....

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
eh.

and when I am squeezing the wheel and tire in past the plastic rear fender (yes I checked out youtube vids), and I knock the bike over and do $600 worth of damage because I was trying to save $60.....

I'm good.

I do everything that I am able to do around the house, etc, (my own yard work, pool maintenance and repair, in house minor repairs and painting, oil changes, and the list goes on) to avoid paying other people, but sometimes it's just not worth it.....
Its easier than ya think

Let the air out of the tire to get the clearance for fenders, bolts, etc

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Its easier than ya think

Let the air out of the tire to get the clearance for fenders, bolts, etc

It didn't look too hard on youtube.

It's the 600 lb. plus of bike falling over, with the expensive plastic fairing and panels that I am worried about.

And from what I've seen online, the cost savings aren't that much when you remove your own wheels (even Don noted something similar above IIRC).

terdog

Active member (5.56mm)
Don't know why you're so worried about knocking the bike over ... I've never come close to doing that. That center stand is very stable.
You saw my pics with both wheels off. It didn't fall over.
Maybe mine is trained better! ?

What tires do you run and how often do you replace them. That bike will easily go 200K miles, if not more before its tired. You doing your own tires will have the savings pile up.

But, we all have our "thing".
Good luck with whatever you choose.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Today, I rode my 2017 Zero SR (electric, of course) to Oak Grove Power Sports (the new larger shop) in Oak Grove, CA (south of Sacramento, 52 miles from here).

I was tempted to buy my 11th motorcycle. A new 2020 Zero SR/S Premium with luggage and center stand. For 23K$.

No sales guy would even come to me after staring at the bike for about an hour total several different times. So I ended up just leaving. It looks like the motorcycle sales guys are no longer paid by commission! Or perhaps it was too late on a Friday afternoon to start a new sale!

But I really don't need 11 motorcycles. I do not want to deal with an extra one. My 8 garages are quite full as it is. And I really don't have anything I want to trade in. And with the two chargers I carry, I can charge my old bike even faster, at 8KW instead of 6.3 KW. But with that new bike, I would not have to carry anything and then I can actually use my luggage space.

But I am not sure if I can talk myself out of it. I am still very tempted. I could need some help here to be talked out of it!

In other news . . . .

From there, I went to the Wal*Mart in Oak Grove with my total of ~8 KW worth chargers. The charge station panel says it can only do 32 amps (7,680 watts), But right on the screen it said I was charging at 7.7 KW, and no issue, so I charged for 30 minutes and raced back to Auburn on the freeway. A free charge. WM8KWb.JPG selling.jpg voice.jpg

There is a simple formula for how many motorcycles we all should own. It's "N+1" where "N" is the number of motorcycles we currently own.

But I am not sure where this buying motorcycles disease ends.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
I started riding bikes in 1967, I think I have owned at least 40 bikes maybe more... I raced MX, ISDT's, Road Racing, Land Speed and drag racing. I worked in the industry for at least half my life. Jobs, motorcycle tech, Svc mgr, Race team owner, Chassis Tech, motorcycle Designer and custom builder. This bike has been in my garage for a long time 1992 Honda CBR 600 F-2 it was my first race bike... A few years after this rainy day photo was taken it set 4 land speed records at ECTA in 1997
Daytona rain.jpg

Over the years it has been on a diet and weighs a 100 pounds less than stock... Lots of carbon fiber and Ti and custom made parts. It is street legal now... Well sort of, it does have lights, mirrors and a tag... The photo below was taken last year...

20170705_122130.jpg

It is starting to really show its age...
20170705_122255.jpg I made a lot of parts when I was at this shop. DSC00002.JPG

Here is a custom we did. DSC00013.JPG

Ever seen one of these in person... Fast and fun to ride.. PanteraCM4.jpg

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
But I really don't need 11 motorcycles. I do not want to deal with an extra one. My 8 garages are quite full as it is.
8 Garages! Damn, Don. That must be nice!

I had 4 bikes at once at one time (that was about all that was in my garage was bikes and bike stuff), and I definitely understand the N+1 thing :)

I am very much interested in the electric bikes (dual sport) and will likely pick one up if I can financially survive my oldest going to medical school (which I certainly cannot pay for by myself).

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I started riding bikes in 1967, I think I have owned at least 40 bikes maybe more... I raced MX, ISDT's, Road Racing, Land Speed and drag racing. I worked in the industry for at least half my life. Jobs, motorcycle tech, Svc mgr, Race team owner, Chassis Tech, motorcycle Designer and custom builder. This bike has been in my garage for a long time 1992 Honda CBR 600 F-2 it was my first race bike... A few years after this rainy day photo was taken it set 4 land speed records at ECTA in 1997
View attachment 73937

Over the years it has been on a diet and weighs a 100 pounds less than stock... Lots of carbon fiber and Ti and custom made parts. It is street legal now... Well sort of, it does have lights, mirrors and a tag... The photo below was taken last year...

View attachment 73939

It is starting to really show its age...
View attachment 73940 I made a lot of parts when I was at this shop. View attachment 73941

Here is a custom we did. View attachment 73942

Ever seen one of these in person... Fast and fun to ride.. View attachment 73947

Great pics! thanks for sharing!

I still actually remember when those 92 CBR600's came out - all the motorcycle mags were raving about "the closest production motorcycle to a racebike", and how everyone and their brother HAD to have one, lol.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
8 Garages! Damn, Don. That must be nice!

I had 4 bikes at once at one time (that was about all that was in my garage was bikes and bike stuff), and I definitely understand the N+1 thing :)

I am very much interested in the electric bikes (dual sport) and will likely pick one up if I can financially survive my oldest going to medical school (which I certainly cannot pay for by myself).

Congrats on your doctor-to-be!

Are they already IN medical school? or just applying for next year?

Both of my kids are top students, overachievers, I've told them that I will pay to send them to any state school, or out-of-state or private school that they can get enough scholarship to make it the same price, but I'm NOT paying for professional school.

If they are actually going to be doctors of some type, then only having their professional school loans to worry about isn't much for the income potential - and I need to be worried about putting away for my OWN retirement.

Tozan

Active member (5.56mm)
My garage in 2000... If you look close you can see my CBR 600 in the shadows.

Garage Confederates.jpg

This was one of my favorite Confederates... CarbonHcHRR.jpg I love the raw carbon fuel tank.
I altered it to have more fun in the canyons. Canyon CarvingSm.jpg Mulholand Highway.

It did fun roll on wheelies too. WheelyCarbonLt.jpg Helmet law is like a mask law should be our choice.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
^wow!

Are you or were you married????

Have to admit, my FIRST thought after seeing that many motorcycles, was "MUST be a lifetime bachelor - because I can't imagine many, if any, women that would allow their man to have that kind of collection"

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Been kicking around the idea of a bike for off road exploring. Something like the old 80-90's adventure bikes.
Think Honda 650 Africa Twin or Yamaha Super Tenere 750
Started riding in 1983. Everything from cruisers, sportbikes, and UJM's from 250 - 1200 cc's. 2 strokes and 4 cycle.
Sold my last bike when I moved to Vegas in 07.My last 2 bikes were Yamaha FJ1200's.
Many runs up and down Mt Palomar south and east grades and runs down into Borrego Springs and the Salton Sea on those bikes.
Ortega Hwy in Orange County was another fast ride when things were boring. Gas up and go on a run.

I sold them and I believe they ended up in Legend race cars.

Bike #1 was sold after 143K miles on it and FJ #2 was sold with 125K miles.

#1 143,000+ miles
download153.png

#2 125,000 + miles

download149.png

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Been kicking around the idea of a bike for off road exploring. Something like the old 80-90's adventure bikes.
Think Honda 650 Africa Twin or Yamaha Super Tenere 750
Started riding in 1983. Everything from cruisers, sportbikes, and UJM's from 250 - 1200 cc's. 2 strokes and 4 cycle.
Sold my last bike when I moved to Vegas in 07.My last 2 bikes were Yamaha FJ1200's.
Many runs up and down Mt Palomar south and east grades and runs down into Borrego Springs and the Salton Sea on those bikes.
Ortega Hwy in Orange County was another fast ride when things were boring. Gas up and go on a run.

Bike #1 was sold after 143K miles on it and FJ #2 was sold with 125K miles.

#1 143,000+ miles
View attachment 74059

#2 125,000 + miles

View attachment 74060
We have very similar riding backgrounds, same time frame too!

I used to own an '89 FJ1200, mine was the dark blue model.

Had that bike up to 155 (shown on the speedo at least) back in the day, when I was a lot younger, and a lot DUMBER, too!