• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why did the email preview get turned off?

When one selects email notification on followed threads or forums? Just curious. It was a useful feature especially on smartphones.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
People were replying to the emails instead of logging in and replying on the forum.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I am missing something and I do not know what "email preview" is.
The notifications and emails are still working as they should.
Send a screen shot of what it is you are talking about please.

Prior to 7/16ish a subscription email looked like this:

Now they look like this. The content is not there anymore until you hit the “view this thread” button. Just much easier before, especially on a smartphone

People were replying to the emails instead of logging in and replying on the forum.
It never occurred to me that someone would hit the “reply” button on the email thinking that they were replying to the thread. Pretty sad

Edited to add:
By default, every time you hit the “view thread“ button it opens up a new tab in the browser. I use the subscription feature a lot. I am a busy guy. If I get five or six update emails that I have to now open them up individually to see everything before I know I am interested in it. Then I have to go and close them all one at a time. It’s a bit of a hassle and I basically stopped paying attention to them

Last edited:

Ron_O

Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I was wondering the same. Now I just note that there's a response waiting so I look it up when I have time to visit the site on my PC rather than my phone. I really like the 'Alerts' function though. The ideal way to catch up while on my laptop.

I’m still hoping the admins will change this back as it negated one of the many positive features of XenForo software. I’d be willing to bet that most people are interacting with the site via smartphones and tablets now and not PCs.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m still hoping the admins will change this back as it negated one of the many positive features of XenForo software. I’d be willing to bet that most people are interacting with the site via smartphones and tablets now and not PCs.
I use it on mobile, something the old software was terrible at. On xenforo, it's amazing.

When I get a notification, on mobile or desktop, the link in the email brings me to the pertinent message, the very place you need to be if you're going to reply to it.

Too many people don't read these emails, and press reply and think they are messaging someone, but in reality, they are messaging a spam box.

Maybe we can change the Reply To email to a noreply address, so when it bounces back to the sender, they'll get it. That might be the best solution.

I use it on mobile, something the old software was terrible at. On xenforo, it's amazing.

When I get a notification, on mobile or desktop, the link in the email brings me to the pertinent message, the very place you need to be if you're going to reply to it
I appreciate that it does indeed take you to the specific thread. My only issue is that it opens up a separate tab for each update. This happens in both Safari and chrome mobile. If one only has limited time during a break for instance to quickly scan the latest posts you’ve subscribe to, you can easily open up 10 new tabs to find out what you’re interested in. It becomes a chore in and of itself to go back and close everything after. It’s just a quality-of-life thing in the mobile electronic world. No matter what happens, thank you for the consideration

Maybe we can change the Reply To email to a noreply address, so when it bounces back to the sender, they'll get it. That might be the best solution.
is there any update as to where this stands? It is hard to believe that this is not an annoyance two others as well. As a member of at least six other XenForo based forums, this is the only one that has turned off this useful feature. The “noreply” solution seems like a good one.