• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WTB WTB: Starter Precision Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundguy1

Member (9mm)
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious what distances and accuracy you shoot with your .224.
I'm a member at BRPC and use the .224 Valkyrie (on a Windham 20" Gov't lower) and my Colt Match Target (.223/5.56) regularly at the Silhouette Range which is 212 to 960 yards. (there is a new further target but I haven't tried that one yet). On the silhouette range I rely on the ping and target swing out to the sheep to know I hit the steel. Or in two cases I actually put the last bullet into the chain and dropped the tank, thankfully there was just two of us so we could drive out and put the tank back up, you can hear the tanks better when you hit them than the plates, but man they have a LOT of sharp edges. The 840 and 960 my friends spot for dust around the targets for misses (and yes I do miss!), unless the wind is blowing just right toward the shooting benches you normally can't ever hear those ones without using voice activated radios taped to the back of the steel and we can only do that when we get out there real early or real late to drive to the targets.

For sighting in and short range shooting there is a 200 yard AND meter lane on the public side of BRPC and I dialed in my rifles at 200 meters there. Shooting from the bench on sandbags (neither rifle has a bi-pod but I am thinking of going that route) at 200 meters it is easy to keep either of my long range guns in a 4" square grid with about 25-30% in the 1inch bullseye.

I still need to try the Valkyrie at one of the 200/300/600 matches so I can get some paper to see what kind of actual groups I can get with that rifle beyond 200 meters. I'm out of town this weekend so I won't be at the match on the 28th but I am hoping my show schedule lets me compete at the end of May. I already did the bullet drop calculation for 600 yards and ordered a custom elevation dial from Leupold for the scope that will live on that upper.

If you're a member at BRPC you probably are familiar with the silhouette range but here's pics of the known target distances and the sheep with the tank I dropped and put back up twice... The tanks alongside the critters are some recycled compressed gas tanks of some kind, nice ping to them.
Silhouette Range.JPG IMG_5644.JPG

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm a member at BRPC and use the .224 Valkyrie (on a Windham 20" Gov't lower) and my Colt Match Target (.225/5.56) regularly at the Silhouette Range which is 212 to 960 yards. (there is a new further target but I haven't tried that one yet). On the silhouette range I rely on the ping and target swing out to the sheep to know I hit the steel. Or in two cases I actually put the last bullet into the chain and dropped the tank, thankfully there was just two of us so we could drive out and put the tank back up, you can hear the tanks better when you hit them than the plates, but man they have a LOT of sharp edges. The 840 and 960 my friends spot for dust around the targets for misses (and yes I do miss!), unless the wind is blowing just right toward the shooting benches you normally can't ever hear those ones without using voice activated radios taped to the back of the steel and we can only do that when we get out there real early or real late to drive to the targets.

For sighting in and short range shooting there is a 200 yard AND meter lane on the public side of BRPC and I dialed in my rifles at 200 meters there. Shooting from the bench on sandbags (neither rifle has a bi-pod but I am thinking of going that route) at 200 meters it is easy to keep either of my long range guns in a 4" square grid with about 25-30% in the 1inch bullseye.

I still need to try the Valkyrie at one of the 200/300/600 matches so I can get some paper to see what kind of actual groups I can get with that rifle beyond 200 meters. I'm out of town this weekend so I won't be at the match on the 28th but I am hoping my show schedule lets me compete at the end of May. I already did the bullet drop calculation for 600 yards and ordered a custom elevation dial from Leupold for the scope that will live on that upper.

If you're a member at BRPC you probably are familiar with the silhouette range but here's pics of the known target distances and the sheep with the tank I dropped and put back up twice... The tanks alongside the critters are some recycled compressed gas tanks of some kind, nice ping to them.
View attachment 42915 View attachment 42916
I've heard that's a good range, but have only been to Desert Sportsman's. Now that they have banned magnums from their long range I shoot mostly on public land.

sYnOnYx

Resident .22 Addict
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Got a .224 CBC upper and kit on order. So I’ll explore that.

But, I wanted a T/C LRR 6.5 badly, but nobody had one in town to see so I explored other options. But came across prolly the only one in town today so I picked it up.

Thanks for all the advice and direction, look forward to seeing what the .224 is all about.

Dreamweaver

Member (9mm)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had seen this earlier.

2 years ago I thought I wanted to get into LRP shooting and put together this entry-level package, I'm selling everything I bought as a package, I wont split things out at this time. Everything is brand new.
Savage 10 T 6.5 Creedmoor, heavy barrel, accu trigger, accu stock, target crown, 20 MOA rail. This was only available thru Cabellas special purchase. Never had a round shot thru it.
Athlon Optics Argos 8-34x56 Side Focus Riflescope,30mm,Black,AHMR2 IR-MOA Reticle 214065 28W-RS-AR83456-214065
Burris Xtreme Tactical Signature Picatinny-Style Rings Matte, gives up to -50MOA to +50MOA
Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench Screwdriver
100 rounds Hornady American Gunner 6.5 CRDMR 140GR BTHp
was going to use this for initial sighting in and re-use brass
BE1005 - Rest, Slingshot, Aluminum
BL10014 - Leather Rabbit Ear Rest Bag
BE1124 - Radius Front Bag
Lee Precision BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER KIT
Hodgdon H4350 Smokeless powder 8@1 pound containers
Still in wrapper copy of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee
$1500 for everything listed, my cost was ~$1800

sYnOnYx

Resident .22 Addict
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Wish I had seen this earlier.

2 years ago I thought I wanted to get into LRP shooting and put together this entry-level package, I'm selling everything I bought as a package, I wont split things out at this time. Everything is brand new.
Savage 10 T 6.5 Creedmoor, heavy barrel, accu trigger, accu stock, target crown, 20 MOA rail. This was only available thru Cabellas special purchase. Never had a round shot thru it.
Athlon Optics Argos 8-34x56 Side Focus Riflescope,30mm,Black,AHMR2 IR-MOA Reticle 214065 28W-RS-AR83456-214065
Burris Xtreme Tactical Signature Picatinny-Style Rings Matte, gives up to -50MOA to +50MOA
Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench Screwdriver
100 rounds Hornady American Gunner 6.5 CRDMR 140GR BTHp
was going to use this for initial sighting in and re-use brass
BE1005 - Rest, Slingshot, Aluminum
BL10014 - Leather Rabbit Ear Rest Bag
BE1124 - Radius Front Bag
Lee Precision BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER KIT
Hodgdon H4350 Smokeless powder 8@1 pound containers
Still in wrapper copy of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee
$1500 for everything listed, my cost was ~$1800
Would have been a steal for me. Spent $800 on a RCBS reloading setup today too :(

soundguy1

Member (9mm)
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've heard that's a good range, but have only been to Desert Sportsman's. Now that they have banned magnums from their long range I shoot mostly on public land.
Hey,

You can go on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun for $10 for non-members or ask if you know anyone that you shoot with if they are members, they can take you 24/7 as a guest. It's on the far side of Boulder City past the dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.